PDA

View Full Version : iTunes/Quicktime problems

Rather be Gardening
21st Oct 2010, 18:00
Evening all,

I just tried to access iTunes on my PC, only to be told that there was a problem with Quicktime and I had to unstall/ reinstall before I could open iTunes. Duly went through the rigmarole, only to get the following message:

The file 'iTunesLibrary.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes

which means zilch to me, other than iTunes still won't open. I tried doing a system restore to 4 days ago, but it reverts to saying that there's a problem with Quicktime etc etc. Grateful for any help/advice :uhoh:

Keef
21st Oct 2010, 22:15
iTunes lives in a world of its own and does wacky things. It's the main contributor to keeping me from going into the Mac world.

If you've removed it, the risk is that it's zapped all your playlists etc. The better fix is the "repair" option under Control Panel - Programs. It may be too late for that.

It sounds as if something has glitched in an update. I'd be inclined to go to the iTunes site and download the latest version, and try installing that.

P.Pilcher
21st Oct 2010, 22:34
Be warned, for what it is worth, when I built my new computer about six months ago, I got it completely running, XP updated, virus protection installed and all software working as I wanted, then I downloaded and installed the latest iTunes. It worked beautifully - except that it completely refused to update my iPod.
Fortunately there is an Apple shop in my local shopping centre and they were very helpful. I was advised to download another copy of the install file for iTunes, download same for my virus protector (Avast) then delete iTunes and Avast from my computor after disconnecting same from the internet. iTunes should then be reinstalled followed by Avast. Then reconnect to t'internet an ensure Avast was fully updated. Guess what - it worked and I can now do things with my iPod again.

P.P.

Rather be Gardening
27th Oct 2010, 16:20
Many thanks for the advice. :ok: Ended up installing version 10 of iTunes, which had its own 'support' enablers, then checked that all the music files were reading before deleting previous iTunes/quicktime. What a kerfuffle!

Mike-Bracknell
27th Oct 2010, 16:48
iTunes and Quicktime.

Two programs whos writers should be the second* against the wall come the revolution.

(*behind the HP printer driver people)