PDA

View Full Version : B747-200F upper deck seating

Jay_solo
21st Oct 2010, 12:53
In the upper deck, how many pax seats does a B747-200 F hold?

TowerDog
21st Oct 2010, 12:55
Most of them has at least 4 First-Class seats and a few bunks.

Most comfortable freighter I have ever flown

SNS3Guppy
21st Oct 2010, 13:05
Most of ours have four seats aft of the cockpit, but we also have eight and twelve seat configurations, too.

TowerDog
21st Oct 2010, 13:20
Flying Tigers (RIP) used to have the entire upper deck filled with seats.
Free travel for family members and company staff...?

TowerDog
21st Oct 2010, 13:38
Most of ours have four seats aft of the cockpit, but we also have eight and twelve seat configurations, too.

Southern....?

sled dog
21st Oct 2010, 19:42
CV used to have about 14 seats on the upper deck, first class travel ( almost )

nitro rig driver
22nd Oct 2010, 04:06
Any body out there operating a 400BCF
What's your seating arrangments on that-the same variations ?

Charlie_Fox
22nd Oct 2010, 07:01
Depends on who the original operator was, but usually 747-400BCF have between 8 and 14 large seats on the upper deck.
All the 747-200F bought originally by Air France have only 3 economy seats.

Chox Off
22nd Oct 2010, 08:01
CV used to have about 14 seats on the upper deck, first class travel ( almost )........and a cabin crew member to look after you too!

sled dog
22nd Oct 2010, 08:06
" Another glass of champagne please " ......:cool:

grounded27
23rd Oct 2010, 17:42
Flying Tigers (RIP) used to have the entire upper deck filled with seats.
Free travel for family members and company staff...?

-70 powered jet? I ran across one aquired by Polar about a decade back. Was pretty cool on a freighter, only problem I could see was less space to lay down an air-matress (don't think they had bunks).

grounded27
23rd Oct 2010, 17:47
Hey Tower Dog, I used to hustle 617 and 621 out of Miami. Good times. You guys allways had the best set up in Jeddah too, I crashed a party or two when I was with a different operator. It was a fun company, the average age of the flight attendants may have had something to do with it.

FoxHunter
23rd Oct 2010, 19:08
The -70s from Flying Tigers came from Seaboard World Airlines. Seaboard was bought by Tigers in 1980.

Anilv
24th Oct 2010, 05:43
Lufthansa Cargo 74Fs had 3 economy class seat just behind the toilet. There was no window but the seat next to the wall had limited legroom. The other two seats had more as the toilet wall had an 'angle'. There was a small galley just behind the access ladder and the rearmost area was taken up by 4 bunks. Most times you didn't have to sit there as they would usually offer you an observers seat in the cockpit area, unless there were deadheading crew onboard..in which case they got the best seats.

I used to prefer travelling on the freighters from FRA-KUL instead of the pax aircraft as you didn't have to go through the 'standby crap' at the gates, waiting for your number to be called, instead you had to take a shuttle bus from the terminal to the cargo center and report to the Supervisors office. Someone from security would hand-search your bags and you would be driven through an airside gate to the aircraft. There would be somebody from the BGS (border police) at the aircraft who would glance at your passport and that was it.

Incidently, I was on a flight out of FRA just after 9/11...the guy driving me to the airplane had a tough time finding the airplane, the usual parking plan had been thrown out of the window by the parked aircraft and the one I was supposed to be on was parked out of sight behind some huge fuel(?) tanks. I was in the terminal earlier on and the lines at the security checks stretched all the way past the check-in counter almost to the escalator going to the arrival levels.

I was working with a ground handling company in Singapore which handled FT in the late eighties...I can remember the black-vinyl covered seats in those aircrafts! Didn't like the DC10s whioch came later after the Fedex buyout.

Anil

foxy2600
1st Nov 2010, 13:50
Under EU law the upper deck is the cockpit. To be a 'cabin' you'd need a re-inforced cockpit door, restricted access, flight attendant:E, safety procedures etc etc.

So here's a question......how many airlines still allow travel buddies upstairs on freighters?

CargoOne
1st Nov 2010, 14:53
foxy2600

747F upper deck is certainly not a cockpit.
You don't need reinforced door for less than 60 seats aircraft, flight attendant required for more than 19 seats config, safety procedures briefing is required for everyone except persons holding a valid emergency training on type.

foxy2600
2nd Nov 2010, 14:25
So can I bring the WAG next time then? :hmm:

GenDec ........No

Ticketed ........No

Genuine reason for her to be on a freighter....... No

Security cleared for Airport Crew Gate.....No

To make my question more relevant, we just delivered two B747-400s for conversion and 'future customer' wanted eight brand new Avio Business seats upstairs - why?

So does anybody still allow travel buddies on freighters???

CargoMatatu
2nd Nov 2010, 15:28
The simplest answer is that most freight operators these days like to position extra/deadheading crew members on board their own company aircraft.

Long haul operators frequently use heavy and/or double crews, as well as carrying a "Flying Spanner" and Loadmaster.

FirstStep
3rd Nov 2010, 08:14
I can't help but to think that there are some "misguided souls" out there, who for reasons all too apparent might be interested in the "upper deck seating" configuration of cargo airlines( possible or probable resistance ) , as well as which have reinforced cockpit doors or none at all. Might I suggest that we collectively keep that info close to our chests. I'm sure the long time poster who started this thread had no bad intentions, and maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but I imagine there are those who monitor these threads who may use information from our open forum against us.

TowerDog
3rd Nov 2010, 08:27
Hey Tower Dog, I used to hustle 617 and 621 out of Miami. Good times

Yup, them were the good days.

Been steadily going downhill ever since, but must admit I do not miss Jeddah or any of those towel-head places :sad:

foxy2600
3rd Nov 2010, 09:05
:oh:

Still think a certain Printer Cartridge will boost Security and Regulatory net worth this coming year - sadly.

grounded27
4th Nov 2010, 02:29
I can't help but to think that there are some "misguided souls" out there, who for reasons all too apparent might be interested in the "upper deck seating" configuration of cargo airlines( possible or probable resistance ) , as well as which have reinforced cockpit doors or none at all. Might I suggest that we collectively keep that info close to our chests. I'm sure the long time poster who started this thread had no bad intentions, and maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but I imagine there are those who monitor these threads who may use information from our open forum against us.

Can't be serious? Yeah you are a bit paranoid.

FACT. US carrier has suicidal jumpseater who works for carrier and has access to cockpit tries to kill crew with intent crash aircraft into the companies hub. Failed.

FACT. Egyptian carrier has flying pilot overcome other crew member and crashes aircraft into ocean.

FACT. After several aircraft hijackings one particular group coordinates several hijackings on the same day with suicidal (unprecedented) intentions.

Result, you, pilots who are allowed to carry in flight, bullet proof doors, millions of.,. wait probably billions of dallars spent. What has this changed... NADA. There is still the possibility of some suicidal schmuck knocking his co-pilot out and sinking a jet full of lives.

Man you are at greater risk of getting stabbed to death by your lifepartner in your sleep than seeing a terrorist take advantage of the amount of jumpseats in a freighter to serve his goals.

Please feel free to argue my position.

grounded27
4th Nov 2010, 02:32
Still think a certain Printer Cartridge will boost Security and Regulatory net worth this coming year - sadly.

The only close solution is better hazmat enforcement for shippers and bomb sniffing tech. Add's a great expence.

grounded27
4th Nov 2010, 02:43
Been steadily going downhill ever since

Hey happy skies for you brother, it is not the same but a sunrise or sunset can still be enjoyed from the ground when that day comes.

Grounded

teeb57
4th Nov 2010, 11:00
Good point. But where I come from, getting stabbed to death by ones life partner isn't all that uncommon.

TowerDog
4th Nov 2010, 11:34
Hey happy skies for you brother, it is not the same but a sunrise or sunset can still be enjoyed from the ground when that day comes.

Thanks, and I should not complain, not grounded yet, but itching to take early retirement with a golden parachute kind of retirement if such a package is offered to the TowerDog..Have a sneaky feeling it won't be.:sad:

Aye, back to topic: 747-200F, most comfortable freighter out there.
Have taken plenty of jumpseats on DC-8s, 10s and MD-11 freighters where one was offered a cold and dark jumpseat just in front of the cargo and behind the bulkhead.
Price was right of course, but handshakes and hospitality does not quite make up for good sleep and good food.
(All -200 freighters have a galley and in 99% of flights, catering)