PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 747-400 mean flightdeck noise level

chfeudpail
20th Oct 2010, 14:29
Hello aviation enthusiasts ,

I am looking to buy a pair of hear protection for the flying and therefore I would need the specifications of the noise level in a 747-400 flightdeck.

Do you guys know average DB's and sound frequencies emitted while cruising ? any links....

Thank you

SNS3Guppy
20th Oct 2010, 16:44
Most of those with whom I fly use a simple set of telex airman headphones, some with a microphone, most without. It's what's supplied by the company in our cockpits.

I find that at lower altitudes when it's noisiest, while I can still hear and communicate with those, I do better understanding the miriad of accents and voices on the radio by using a noise-cancelling headset.

Presently I use a Bose AC-15 with a Uflymic, and it works very well. However, in order to communicate with other crewmembers, I have to cock one earpiece off my ear. I put it back over my hear for most of the flight when talking isn't necessary, but it does get in the way during takeoff or approach and landing, so I remove it off one ear in order to hear better.

The 747 isn't really all that loud. I'm not sure where you will find a nose analysis of the cockpit for each phase of flight (and altitude; the cockpit is a lot quieter at higher altitudes in cruise than during takeoff or landing, or cruise at lower altitudes--when wind noise is higher). Most of the commercially-available headsets will work just fine. I've carried and used a Bose X headset in the airplane. The newer Bose A20 should be extremely quiet...it's supposed to be on par with the QC-15, which is comfortable and quiet...and has a music input.

I'd look for a headset that's comfortable for you, rather than trying to get too tied up with sound analysis. I've met a number of crewmembers who bought Sennheisers only to discard them due to comfort, for example. Others love them. Find what works for you, try various headsets if you can (even if it's just trying the on at a pilot shop), and go with what's most comfortable. Remember, you'll be wearing it a long time in the airplane.

I know a few guys who are using lightweight in-ear headsets such as Clarity Aloft, who love them. I don't like things in my ear so much, especially for long periods, but go with what works for you.

chfeudpail
20th Oct 2010, 20:09
Thank you,

however our 747's are not equipped with intercom , so when cruising we just remove our headsets and talk to ATC using the handmike. I am just looking for the proper hearing protection that would greatly decrease ambient sounds but would still allow me to hear colleagues and ATC properly. Therefore I need to know the characteristics of the sound in the flightdeck ( Db's / frequencies ) in order to have an adequate sound filter in my ear plugs.

SNS3Guppy
20th Oct 2010, 20:13
We generally don't use an intercom, either (I think you'll find it's installed, just not used). I made the comments I did, accordingly. I believe I pointed out the reason that I cock the earphone off my ear is precisely because we don't use an intercom; we talk to one another. The airplane just isn't that loud.

chfeudpail
20th Oct 2010, 20:22
Well to me the 747 is a loud aircraft , at least the ERF version, the shape of the nose section + high speeds are some factors. Some colleages have reported having experienced a dip in their hearing abilities that was seen during audio tests...

Just tell me if you know the Db's and sound frequencies , that's all I need , to have the proper hearing protection. But then I guess the freighter is much louder than the pax version.

SNS3Guppy
20th Oct 2010, 20:43
I fly the freighter version. It's a quiet airplane compared to many.