PDA

View Full Version : CPLH and colour vision deficiency

dan the man
20th Oct 2010, 13:46
Can anyone out there tell me whether a CPL H can be obtained by someone with a colour vision deficiency. I realise that a class 1 medical needs to be obtained before going down the CPL route but wondered whether a restriction can be applied. I have a PPL A and know that certainly for fixed wing, it is possible to get a restricted CPL. The problem is that it is so restricted that it is of little use in the real world where there are pilots out there with no restrictions applying for the same job. My (possibly incorrect!) theory is that as heli operations tend to be more aerial work as opposed to public transport, then maybe there is a chance for someone like me who is colour blind. From the info i have read, an instrument rating isn't nesessarily required (as it is in fixed wing) for alot of daytime VFR ops in the commercial helicopter world, is this true. I'm getting on a bit (41) but have my own business, the idea would be to fly in between my work, ie not rely on earning a living from flying, but fly when the work was there.
I won't go on any more as the term 'colour blind' has a tendency to cut conversations short when it comes to flying for a living, any advice would be welcome.
Appologies if this has already been covered previously but i did look and didn't find anything...honest!:rolleyes:

Three Blades
21st Oct 2010, 13:46
Dan,
I was lead to believe (a few years back) that a CPLH could be obtained with a similar colour restriction to the PPLH but I cannot comment on the availability of work with a resticted ticket.
However may I just remind you that you may have a second chance to avoid being classified as colour blind. The usual medical relies on the coloured dot pictures (which I failed) but if you go to some of the bigger medical test places (eg Gatwick) then you can take a test based on coloured lanterns. The eye can interpet lanterns quite differently to paint dots and hence you may be able to pass this test. I did not pass but I did do much better.
Good luck
TB

dan the man
21st Oct 2010, 14:34
Thanks TB. Perhaps i should have mentioned that after failing the test the first time i 'appealed' and was given the chance to go to Gatwick and part with my hard earned cash only to be rushed through another test involving identifying the colour of a pin prick of coloured light through a piece of cardboard at ten paces. The colours were changed more and more quickly and i got in a mess almost from the beginning!
The lovely man doing the test then went on to tell me i'd be a danger to myself and and everyone else and therefore would make an unsafe pilot, a bit harsh i thought, but there you go..

Three Blades
21st Oct 2010, 14:52
Sorry to hear of your trouble. As I remember it was a bit like the scene from Close Encounters of the Third Kind - nice and easy to start with but progressing towards a disco show by the end !
I did once fall foul of the restriction (only permitted to fly to a controlled airfield if comms will be by way of RT) when, after a coms failure, the tower at my destination airfield started flashing their big torch at me. I must say that I was pleased to have an 'interpreter' sitting next to me. However I am sure that it was more of an excuse for the radio operator to play with the gadget that spends 99.9% of its life hung up in his cupboard. At least with a helicopter you can 'pause' before running into trouble if you are not sure what is being said.

bugdevheli
21st Oct 2010, 18:09
Not a colour problem but wondered if contact lenses are acceptable. I ask purely out of interest as i am not a qualified pilot, more of a build your own and try it fellow. I have however noticed, (I wear contact lenses) , that as i climb a hill, or elevate by other means. My contact lenses either expand or contract and cause a few moments of slight discomfort and blurred vision. Hence the question. Bug.

the beater
22nd Oct 2010, 03:57
Guidance on using contact lenses | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=9243)

Note para. 3