PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast a budget Airport?????

Chocolait
19th Oct 2010, 02:54
Pssssst....Did you konow that Gold Coast airport in now an International Airport? Many snobs said that, the airport should call it a "Budget Airport". Only budget airline land.... However, what about those hangars and flying school who charter JETS and flight training...Hey its cost money... Those thugs are not thinking ahead. Its just the beginning. Give it 2-4 years and will see who's laughing at the end.

Mud Skipper
19th Oct 2010, 04:51
I take it english is not your first language.
Mud:bored:

topend3
19th Oct 2010, 05:57
so you have a personal issue and thought you would join PPRUNE today to make it public?

woohoo...by the way they have been receiving intl flights for a few years now, so it's no big surprise.

Worrals in the wilds
19th Oct 2010, 06:46
Coolangatta (sorry, Gold Coast Airport... forgot the Shiny New Name :}) has been getting international flights for twenty years or so.
You might like to take a look below if you're interested in the airport.
Gold Coast Airport History (http://www.goldcoastairport.com.au/gcal-history.php)

As for being a 'budget' airport, the airport owner itself has been happy to plug that image in recent times and has overtly marketed the airport as a LCC destination. IMHO being cheap and cheerful is a smart move, rather than competing directly with YBBN which is not all that far away and much larger. Good luck to them!

Eastwest Loco
19th Oct 2010, 11:57
Yeah.

I agree with those who went before.

Your point is Chocolait?

The vast majority of carriers going into OOL are LCC, charter or private.

Got an agenda here? If so it is invisible at the moment.

EWL

PA39
20th Oct 2010, 03:01
Who gave him a license!! :rolleyes:

VH-XXX
20th Oct 2010, 03:26
Don't bag out the mighty Gold Coast airport.

It's one of the cheapest airports around to visit given it's prime location.

ozangel
20th Oct 2010, 08:55
The three main domestic airlines servicing OOL are:

1) Tiger
2) Jetstar
3) Virgin

The main international players are:

1) Air Asia
2) Jetstar

And the only full service airline, of whoms basic fare is equivalent to a budget airline both in price and service is:

1) Air New Zealand

Furthermore - the airport justified its reasons for not building aerobridges as:

1) "It's not commensurate with the cost bases of our major clients."

So, yes, it is a budget airport!

I have a number of connections at the GA end of the tarmac, all of whom have witnessed their 'next door neighbours' close up at the end of their leases. I fail to see what is so shocking about this...? It's prime land! Even those 'castle-esque' style houses along the runway sell for $400g ish, because they are so close to the beach. I saw one recently advertised with the headline 'Hear the ocean waves crash from your bedroom'. If you have any level of hearing left after the constant take offs and landings, you sure can!

The going rumour is that a new GA area will be built on the western side of the runway...