PDA

View Full Version : Bose A20 V Lightspeed Zulu

mustman
17th Oct 2010, 01:52
Anyone been able to compare the New Bose A20 headset against Lightspeed Zulus?

Both have Bluetooth and Aux inpurt. Lightspeed has had these features for 3 years, taken a while for Bose to catch up. Looking at appox $1,600 for the Bose and $1,000 for the Lightspeeds.

What can the new Bose offer for the extra $600 price tag?

das Uber Soldat
17th Oct 2010, 03:08
Have tried both, bought the A20. It has superior sound quality, better noise cancelling etc.

However, its not the better 'value' of the 2 headsets.

The Green Goblin
17th Oct 2010, 03:53
You're paying for the brand name with the Bose :ok:

dik cheney
17th Oct 2010, 11:02
The Bose A20 is only 1100 USD on the Sportys website, dont waste your money in Australia.

geeup
17th Oct 2010, 12:13
I know a couple of pilots who have had trouble with the light speeds.
However everything has been covered under warranty.

Wildduke
18th Oct 2010, 06:05
I have lightspeeds and thinking about purchasing a set of bose A20's, however I wont till I get a chance to put them over my ears. I found the Bose X earcups too small, I have read that the A20 is larger, but does anyone know how they compare to Lightspeeds in size! Bigger is better for me :ok:

CirrusSR22T
18th Oct 2010, 07:32
Wild D - they have increased the A20 headset to approx same size as the lightspeed zulu. (you must have big listeners like me :ok:).

Zulu's are better value for $$ is my view. and the gap in the head cushion is great if you wear a cap !

Jabawocky
18th Oct 2010, 07:43
Interesting the first few posts. This is a Holden v Ford argument.

A few things we did at Oshkosh this year included the A20 v Zulu test, and you can be sure we tested carefull as we walked away with 3 x headsets.

Lightspeed went and bought several A20's to compare side by side, literally side by side on their stand. We fealt the audio quality was 50/50, you could argue 49.5Z/50.5A but the rest of the features the Zulu seemed better, and when wearing sunglasses the Zulu also made a difference.

If you purchased either headset you would be really happy, no question.:ok:

the Bose girls on the stand were impressive features but even for USD$300 more they did not come with the purchase. :(

So 3 x Zulu's were purchased.

bbartley88
18th Oct 2010, 08:50
Can you bluetooth your music from mobile with the Bose A20? Reading on website they only quote the bluetooth can be used for mobile phone calls.

Two_dogs
18th Oct 2010, 09:08
Bluetooth is Bluetooth is Bluetooth.

One would imagine you simply pair the device?

das Uber Soldat
18th Oct 2010, 09:16
Not necessarily 2 dogs. You can bluetooth pair your phone to your cars hands free, that doesn't mean you can play music through it. I know i can't.

AVIATOR1982
18th Oct 2010, 10:42
@dik cheney, if you had ever bothered to import a set of these you would find by the time you have them in your hands the 'real cost' is closer to AU$1500, for the sake of $95 you would take the risk on not having Australian Based warranty ? Especially as I have heard Bose had a major issue with the A20 and had to recall quite a large percentage of the first run of the product, they managed to keep it quiet and although now fixed I would not want to be sending my set back to the states. Bose Australia do not like carrying out warranty repairs on US bought sets, I found that out the hard way.

Something to think about !

vme
18th Oct 2010, 10:57
Have read two reviews which say Bose bluetooth phone is okay, but music is not supported - unlike the Lightspeed which does both (from experience).

Jabawocky
18th Oct 2010, 11:48
Ahhhh another very sneaky important fact about the Zulu which my good friend..... the king of the Beach......or Beachking pointed out. BT is not always BT.

Zulu's win I have to say folks, two scientific and highly trained minds studied this closely, and with the collective wisdom of some Thinking Spirit (Bundy & Coke) we made our decission. See above :)

dik cheney
18th Oct 2010, 13:58
Aviator82, I imported a set of ANR DC's a few years back, saved about $300 in doing so and the exchange rate was not as strong as it is today. I was not stung for any import tax, however I recall the value written on the box was understated by the supplier (probably for my benefit). DC has a 5 international warranty, don't know about Bose, but it's pretty lame if they don't.

Extra260
18th Oct 2010, 23:14
How do you go about getting Zulu's repaired in Aus? Mine gave up the ghost (cutting out) after only 30hrs use(no it wasn't the batteries). I tried the shop I bought them from, they directed me to TriStar (I think, it was a while ago now) and each time I called I was told the person I needed to speak to wasn't there, leave a message.. no response, after 3 or 4 calls I gave up and bought a new DC 13.4 set(not as nice as the zulus, but reliable).

When the Zulus worked they were fantastic, and very comfortable.

Jabawocky
19th Oct 2010, 00:00
You phone the guys at Lightspeed they give you a warranty repair number and post them over, they will fix them quickly and return.

J:ok:

Wan
19th Oct 2010, 00:07
A batch (quite large I think) of Zulus had problems with the wiring. A lot of these appear to have come to Australia. Mine also cut out (probably also around 30 hrs). I too had lots of problems - mainly because I did not buy them from an authorised dealer. I think Tristar is the only such dealer. Anyway, I only got them fixed when I wrote to the head office support address asking to return them for a refund. They then arranged for them to be fixed (through Tristar). It is worth getting them fixed.

Extra260
19th Oct 2010, 00:35
Thanks guys, will give that a try.:ok:

BEACH KING
19th Oct 2010, 01:11
Extra260,

Shoot this Lady an Email at Lightspeed customer service..
[email protected]

They were great when I had a problem with an old set of XL 20 Anr headsets recently. Even though they were 10 years old, they offered to repair them for free or give me a NEW set of Zulus for US$599!

Mustman.. you won't go wrong with either of the Zulus or the Bose A20. They are both fabulous headsets, just that the Zulus do a better job for far less money!!

mustman
19th Oct 2010, 03:05
Interesting discussion. Well I already have the lightspeeds and been pretty happy with them. Have had to get them repaired twice and just contacting lightspeed through their website was easy. I havent treated my headset very well so cant blame lightspeed completely for the required repairs. I purchased them from the states when the $$ was strong and was not an issue for warranty.

Was interested to see if Bose have managed to finally better the lightspeeds but by the sound of things they havnt. I guess the extra price tag is for the Bose brand name.

Donwoody
25th Oct 2010, 00:11
I'm in New York at the moment and I walked into the Bose store in Manhattan today to check out the new A20 but they told me that Bose has stopped selling the A20 and recalled them. The lady behind the counter said that there's an issue with the "volume." I'm wanting a new headset, looks like I'll have to settle for the Zulus when I get back to Australia. If anyone owns one are they aware that there's been a recall?

bill.lumbergh
25th Oct 2010, 05:10
Yes, in short there was a problem with the battery compartment so no power was getting to the headphones. Happened to mine which I imported from the US.

On eyre
3rd Nov 2010, 02:10
Anyone tried the Lightspeed Sierra and compared to the Zulu ?

Extra260
4th Nov 2010, 21:43
My Zulu's arrived back from service yesterday, good as new. Turn around time of one week:ok:

Professional Amateur
4th Nov 2010, 22:12
Does any one else's Zulus warble? I have found this generally occuring only if there is a small air gap between the head and the cussion? I.e: the gap where the sunnies usually go over the ear.

Or is it just my miss shaped head?

likes2fly
18th Jul 2011, 11:47
I'm about to make a decision on the Bose A20 or the Zulu. I'm currently flying a bloody noisy twin turboprop.

Can anyone say whether they have tried both? And can you say that noise cancelling on the bose is any better than the zulu. Bluetooth and music etc is not a worry to me, would rather the quieter product.

Also interested in what the noise insulation is like on these sets with ANR switched off. I have read as much as i can about noise cancelling. However regardless of ANR i think it is important to still have the best passive reduction as well. I think at the end of a long days flying this will still be a factor.

My current DC 10-30 with Headset Inc conversion is now nowhere near as quiet without ANR as it was before i did the conversion. and even though i have the ANR switched on, i think i am still being affected by whatever bands are still getting through the now poorer passive insulation.

Cheers

rjtjrt
18th Jul 2011, 12:33
This article was posted elsewhere on PPRuNe.
It is a review article, including passive attenuation of various headsetsm including earlier Bose and Zulu. Possibly still of use.

http://www.headsetsinc.com/fly01.pg58-63%20copy.pdf

John

MyNameIsIs
18th Jul 2011, 12:51
Had the passive DC 13.4s. Had a set also converted with Headsets Inc. The conversion failed on me several times to the point where I have basically discarded them. My original 13.4's go strong still.

Tried Zulu (not extensively). Good headset- they actually made a Bongo somewhat quiet!

Managed to score a try with the A20s. Love them, bought them. Very comfortable and quiet. Passive, not wonderful, but tolerable. Cannot comment on Zulu passive as its been a couple years since i tried them- however an ANR's passive is nowhere near as good as a straight passive headset.

Bluetooth on the A20 is wonderful, it is as good as speaking on the phone itself in a normal room.
ANR on the A20 is fantastic, to the point where on one aircraft I fly I have to turn it off whilst taxying just to make sure i hear the props going to beta and i don't pull it back too far!
Get about 60hrs flying off standard alkaline (including leaving it on over some turnarounds that might be 20-30mins).
They are even great for music when at home, other than the cables when sitting on the couch (I'd like a wireless pair of Bose headphones for this purpose!)

I doubt anyone would be disappointed in either the Zulu or A20. I however prefer the Bose.

PyroTek
18th Jul 2011, 14:10
Has anyone tried the new Zulu's against the A20/original Zulu's yet? I'd be interested to hear the difference if any.:ok:

Kelly Slater
18th Jul 2011, 14:25
Lightspeed have an attractive buyback scheme running at the moment, you get good money for your old headset. On the negative side, the microphone and cord are on the left side of the headset. You can't wear a Zulu with the mike on the right side, so if you are instructing or an FO you have to have the mike on the left with the cord running across your chest.

Dora-9
18th Jul 2011, 23:15
I loved my Bose too....until I got my Zulus.

One really good thing about Lightspeed is that you get great technical support. I've had a problem with microphone side-tone, the response when I emailed Lightspeed has been prompt, comprehensive and very helpful.

rjtjrt
18th Jul 2011, 23:44
Dora
Can you detail the problem with Zulu mic?
I maybe having a similar problem and would like to know what the solution was/is.
John

Fandangled
19th Jul 2011, 00:10
Have tried them both in an aircraft, the Zulu's are lighter and I feel more comfortable (much better than Bose). The noise cancelling is very good on them both and I could be imagining things but I think slightly better on the Zulu's versus the Sierra. Not a huge difference in price so I went the Zulu.

beechie
19th Jul 2011, 01:05
I can't compare the two but I do like my Zulus. Seem to do a very good job and the company service is fantastic if you ever have an issue.

ALWAYS carry spare batteries with you! I once didn't notice the the low battery light and lost ANR when in a Bongo.:ugh::ugh: That was bad enough but lucky I had spares and my ears only bleed for about 30 seconds.

Would be interesting to compare the A20 to the New Zulu which I believe is coming out soon. No doubt some magazine will do a comparison.

Do any other brands even match these two?

Ixixly
19th Jul 2011, 01:06
Can anyone actually detail the changes between the Old Zulus and the New Zulus? I'm having difficult actually finding them listed anywhere!!

Eljay
19th Jul 2011, 07:01
I have the A20's and can't fault them. Bought them at OSH last year.
I have 2 mates with Zulus and each has had to send them back for repair at some stage.
Here is a couple of points
If Zulu are so good, why are they bringing out a new model?
This whole forum is about how good Zulu service is.
My Bose's don't need service.

down3gr33ns
19th Jul 2011, 08:57
Try before you "buy".

Bose have a scheme where you pay upfront for the A20's and, within 21 days you decide you don't like them, then you can send them back
(in good order and in the box, of course) for a full refund - no questions asked.

Did that, didn't need the return option though.

Lancair70
19th Jul 2011, 09:43
I have a set of DC H10-40 that I bought 21yrs ago when I was learning to fly. I replaced the std ear seals for oil filled the same day. Apart from being heavy after 2+hrs wearing them, they were a great passive headset. 4yrs ago I tried a set of Zulus and loved the ANR aspect immediately. After pricing around to get a set, I settled on a DIY ANR upgade for my DC's, new wiring, new speakers in the ear cups, got new gel seals and new padded head band, all up $350 and I had a fantastic passive set with ANR to boot. I still love em and the guy whos Zulu's I borrowed has commented that they are great and although minus the bluetooth, comparable in quiteness (flying a C182 dumping meat bombs), but heavy compared to the Zulu.
My only gripe is the battery use, I get maybe 6hrs from a 9v battery.

Oneday Ill upgrade.

Dora-9
20th Jul 2011, 00:04
rjtjrt:

PM sent!

truthinbeer
21st Jul 2011, 07:37
I realise this is OT re the thread title, but Sennheiser never seems to get a mention. Are they not very good?

WannaBeBiggles
21st Jul 2011, 09:26
Has anyone got any comparisons on the new Zulus and A20's when compared in a radial aircraft?

HardCorePawn
21st Jul 2011, 11:07
Once tried the old Bose X... was comfortable and light... noise cancelling was decent... just the price that scared me... :eek:

Eventually got a pair of Zulu's... best money I've ever spent... immediately went and got 2 sets of rechargeable AA's... And carry the spare set within reach when flying... when they drop, the passive is next to useless (imagine being in a 40 gallon drum with someone beating the outside with an iron bar! :ouch:)

I'd recommend the new fangled rechargeables that will hold 80% of their charge for like 12 months if not being used :ok:

As for comfort... I've had quite a few 5+ hour stints wearing them (go go Thielert diesel powered 172's with 7 hours endurance :\)... and never had any real issues...

Also, I tried a pair of the Sierra's and found them a little bulky... and didn't seem as sturdy... being all plastic etc... as previously mentioned, the cost of stepping up to the Zulu's over the Sierra's was small compared with the benefits...

Would love to get my hands on the A20's, just because I'm the curious type... and also keen to try the new Zulu.2's... might go the buyback route...

rjtjrt
26th Jul 2011, 00:14
Truthinbeer
Just for you!

"Sennheiser enters high-end headset market."

Sennheiser S1

AOPA Online: Sennheiser enters high-end headset market (http://www.aopa.org/oshkosh/2011/news/110725sennheiser-enters-high-end-market.html)

John

Peter PanPan
1st Aug 2011, 18:22
So now the question is:

A20 or Zulu.2 or S1 ?!

Any feedback on the Zulu.2 or S1? :ok:

Peter PanPan
1st Aug 2011, 18:37
Here's what AOPA had to say about the S1:

Sennheiser S1

Capitalists rejoice! More competition is among us. Sennheiser introduces a new headset this month: the top-end S1. With a price point squarely aimed at the Bose A20 and Lightspeed Zulu, Sennheiser thinks superior engineering will make it king of Headset Mountain.
The S1 is Sennheiser’s first big headset launch to the general aviation market in years, and the company made sure it had a good product before putting it all on the line. This thing is an engineer’s dream. It features multiple foam layers; the ear pads have a spot that’s softer where sunglass or eyeglass stems go; it has four microphones for optimal noise canceling; buttons provide a sound boost for those who have their audiologist on speed dial; Bluetooth is built in with controls for phone calls or music; tension on the band can be adjusted by the user. And then there’s The Button.
The Button is Sennheiser’s ace in the hole. Company representatives say that when a normal headset is engineered, a natural tradeoff occurs when trying to optimize the active noise reduction. That’s because ANR works by throwing back sound at the opposing wavelength, thereby canceling it out. But sounds in the cockpit change, and ANR is naturally only perfect for one frequency. Until The Button, that is.
Once a pilot presses The Button, the four microphones “listen” closely, the system does a bunch of work only German engineers understand, and then it reoptimizes the ANR for the current frequency level. This results in a quieter headset in all phases of flight. And believe it or not, reality matches marketing here. The headset becomes noticeably quieter every time you push The Button, be it for takeoff, cruise, descent, and so on.
Ironically, all of this button pushing is almost irrelevant because the S1 is quiet before the ANR is even turned on. That’s a strong selling point, especially considering how often batteries on ANR headsets die. Speaking of which, the two AA batteries will last anywhere from 25 to 40 hours on the S1, depending on which type and what functions are in use.
Sennheiser hopes its new S1 isn’t too late to the high-end ANR headset party. Regardless of timing, however, this is a strong performer and definitely worthy competition for Bose and Lightspeed.
Pros:

Thoughtful features
Quiet ANR and passive attenuation
Bluetooth connectivity

Cons:

Price
Weight

Unhinged
1st Aug 2011, 23:38
ANR is naturally only perfect for one frequency.the system does a bunch of work only German engineers understand,
Not only are those statements demonstrably untrue, but why would anyone design a headset which needs repeated manual intervention "in all phases of flight" to work properly ? :ugh:

beechie
2nd Aug 2011, 00:04
The Button

So I don;t get this feature. Is it every time you push 'The Button' the anr works better? Wouldn't want it on all the time or does it drain batteries??