PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth doing a Class Two prior to a Class One?

airtaxiwannabe
17th Oct 2010, 01:27
This may sound crazy and a way to depart with a large sum of money, but do you think it's worth doing a class two first and seeing if the AME will advise if he thinks I could pass a class one?

My last class one was back in 2000 and as I haven't renewed it, I need to return to the mother ship that is Gatwick. At the present time my medical history is going to be reviewed, due to me being on SSRI's, although I am now off them. But in true worrying form I am concerned I will not pass it.

I worry that I am too fat, my BP and cholesterol will be too high, I now wear classes for short sightedness and worry I am out of limits and after working on the ramp with jets for 13 years I will be as deaf as a post! I then move onto finding glucose in my urine and a murmur on the ECG etc, etc. My initial class one ECG in 1998 needed to be looked at, but they put it down to me being nervous on the day. As you can see I am a walking wreck all in the name of our beloved aviation.

My thinking is that the class two medical would give me a foundation and level of health and may be put my mind at rest, I would even be willing to pay for a class one renewal to be fully assessed, but of course be given a class two if I passed. At least this way I would know if it was worth going back to Gatwick or not.

Any suggestions regarding this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

cavortingcheetah
17th Oct 2010, 08:38
But you surely don't want to attract anyone's attention at the CAA until you're good and ready to pass any examination. Class 1 or 11 all ends up in your dossier.
Go any buy some Combur 9 Stix or any urine reagent test sticks. They're not cheap but you can buy a capsule of ten and then you can test your own urine. Protein, blood and glucose are the three most important ones in this context I think.

Blood in my Urine? [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-222717.html)

You know your weight and height so Google up a body/mass index and see if you are overweight. You can plot a diet accordingly.

Then go and get your doctor to run an insurance physical on you. You might have to pay but then you'll have a decent base line.

Above all, try not to become a hypochondriac. The mental consequences of hypochondria can be greater than the preoccupying physical ones.

one dot right
17th Oct 2010, 09:03
What cavorting cheetah said. Good advice IMHO :)

airtaxiwannabe
19th Oct 2010, 21:06
Thanks for the advice chaps! :ok:

gingernut
19th Oct 2010, 21:58
What's your ultimate objective ?

Live fast, die young?
Live slow, die old?
Somewhere in the middle?
Pass a medical to be able to fly commercially?

The answer to your question may dedend on your aim:)

the difference between class 1 and class 2 tests are objecivity. Class 2 involves the examiner whispering in your ear, class 1 involves headphones. The differences in visual tests are also as stark.

The SSRI question is more subjective, have a look at previous posts on the subject, but basically the CAA medical dept is lagging behind a little on modern thinking towards metal illness.

airtaxiwannabe
20th Oct 2010, 20:29
Well I certainly want the commercial medical / license.

My ideas toward the class 2 prior to the class 1 were certainly not relevant looking at the evidence, but as long as I can remain off the SSRI's and pass the psychiatric assessment I'm sure I will be fine.

I am looking at it, that if a commercial license is meant to be it will happen. If I fail I will just buy a microlight (once the weight is lost) and enjoy myself and maybe instruct. Luckily my GP already issued me a medical declaration so I can fly as an NPPL whenever. Either way I will fly and get paid for it!