PDA

View Full Version : Medical Boards

occhips
16th Oct 2010, 18:33
I am about to hit a med board after having some metalwork put into my ankle which means I will not be running marathons or having a second career on strictly come dancing in the not too distant future. As the metalwork is a permanent fixture I have the solace of hours of fun at airports to look forward to but I have no idea how the board will work? I have heard a lot of rumours but am none the wiser about it?

any ideas?

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
16th Oct 2010, 19:06
Is this a formal Med Board at Henlow?

Sideshow Bob
16th Oct 2010, 19:17
As SPHLC says, is it a perm board at Henlow or a re-grade at unit. There is a difference in the approach.

All the info is available in the Medical AP's, available on the intranet via the RAF Publications link.

My last permanent board was about 6 years ago, if my memory serves me well, I had pre-lims before I went, once there I had a pre-examine with a Wg Cdr followed by an interview with an Air Cdr, the Wg Cdr and my deskie.

The biggest tip I could give you is to be positive whilst talking with the Wg Cdr and during the interview and make sure you have already worked out a plan of action with your deskie beforehand and present it as a solution to the situation during the interview.

Hope this helps and good luck. :ok:

occhips
16th Oct 2010, 22:36
Yes it is at Henlow in the new year. Currently the owner of a couple of large screws and a washer ) and two years of ankle problems.

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
18th Oct 2010, 18:35
Officially?

You get a thorough brief from your Med Centre 'Med Boards Clerk' and the brief I got was very good, all I needed to know. You even get a guide explaining the process.

Crewroom/PPRuNe?

There is some latitude in their decision, and it depends on your attitude. So get your head in the right place for what will be a very important day. You may come up against a brick wall as regards to what you are able to do ie, your soon to be permanent med cat. But he will ask your opinion.

As SB says, a Wg Cmdr gives you the medical and, while you wait, writes a report to the President of the Board who will probably sign off the recomendation, in your presence.

Much of their casework is provided in the form of a summary that comes from your SMO. You get to proof read this with their clerk, first of all.

Hummingfrog
18th Oct 2010, 20:23
Occhips.

I wouldn't worry about airport scanners (unless you have had cheap screws and washers;)) I have a six inch plate and several screws in my left leg and have never had a problem at airports.

HF