PDA

View Full Version : Bankerfox virus

flynverted
16th Oct 2010, 16:21
Need some help with this one. Finally got a virus that I can't remove. :mad: Clicked on a link earlier, posted by a fellow ppruner, using gurgle chrome, and suddenly got pages opening faster than I could close them. After a few minutes I finally shut down gurgle chrome using windows task manager. Thats when the popups started (do a gurgle search for bankerfox virus) That was on my laptop. First thing I did was fire up the desktop and change my password at my banking site. :ok: Second thing I did was do a gurgle search for the virus. Seems harmless enough, just annoying. Found a site wot said to check the registry for a few entries. Done that and none were found. Tried running AVG but can't open ANY programs on the laptop, can't even open task manager. :* Rebooted in safe mode and ran AVG, which didn't find anything. Tried connecting to the internet in safe mode to download a program to rid/uninstall the virus but can't connect to the internet in safe mode.

Back to normal mode, the virus takes over as soon as the laptop is booted, and it won't let me connect to the internet in firefox, ie, or chrome. So I can't download a program to uninstall it. Even tried control/alt/delete when rebooting, before the virus has a chance to load, and shut down all unfamiliar stuff, but that resulted in getting declined internet access by firefox, gurgle chrome, and i.e.

Been at this for nearly 12 hours and getting a bit frustrated. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :ok::ok:

Mike-Bracknell
16th Oct 2010, 16:40
Options:

- Get a copy of Malwarebytes Antimalware on a memory stick, boot into safe mode and copy it across to the local hard drive, then boot into safe mode with command prompt and execute it from there via the command line (note - a lot of recent viruses infect the windows explorer, and safe mode with command prompt is the ONLY mode of bootup which doesn't automatically load a copy of explorer.exe...in fact it only loads it if you do something explorer-y, so avoid that!)

- Rip out the hard drive, mount it as a slave drive in a separate working PC and do a scan from there. This is probably the quickest option, IF you have a separate working PC available. Note, ensure you have a virus scanner and MBAM on that separate PC *before* starting the exercise.

(this isn't an exhaustive list, but my 2 best shots at killing your issue in the most effective, quickest way).

flynverted
16th Oct 2010, 16:55
Thanks, mate, didn't think of the memory stick :confused: Prolly coz I don't have one. :{:{ Will get one next week when I go to town. :ok: