PDA

View Full Version : Government may step in to assist CX Cadets housing problem

Toe Knee Tiler
16th Oct 2010, 03:35
Quoting from a recent article in The Hong Kong Standard.

Monday, October 11, 2010

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/newsimage/20101011/5_2010101022334939300elderly4.jpg
A helping hand is on the way for the poor, the elderly and first-time homebuyers.Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam- kuen is set to unveil plans during his policy address on Wednesday to help people living in poverty and to adjust the old- age allowance scheme, as well as open the way for people in the sandwich class to buy homes.
There had to be an answer for S/O's with no housing allowance.

Good Luck lads

Lowkoon
17th Oct 2010, 12:02
Wonder how much that guy pictured wants for that cardboard box? A few holes, a poorly applied splash of paint, and include the area outside of the box in your computation of the living space, and voila! A 3 bedroom unit if ever I saw one!

HVY
18th Oct 2010, 14:48
I've been crunching the numbers, and reading the posts, and it looks like it's going to be a struggle to get by without housing.

Anyone know the rules on taking on a second job in HKG?

Maybe this old guy could use a few helpers...

The Wraith
18th Oct 2010, 15:20
Don't know how Tyler and co can live with themselves or hold their head up. They should be ashamed of themselves...they have taken a proud company built on a spirit of adventure and pioneering and reduced it to an average Asian airline. All airlines need to cut costs, but to do it at the expense of the very people who make the airline the success it is is simply reprehensible.
:yuk:

boxjockey
19th Oct 2010, 08:26
Not so sure how many costs really need to be cut when you're going to turn in a US $1B annual profit.

box

Ex Cathedra
19th Oct 2010, 09:25
but to do it at the expense of the very people who make the airline the success it is is simply reprehensible.

They are indeed reprehended as they receive a considerable bonus every year by doing so.

(Sorry, I haven't looked up reprehensible in the dictionary yet, but I assume that's what you mean...)

:}...

Team America
19th Oct 2010, 21:38
Well if you knew that people were going to work for "nothing" why would you pay their housing. As it has been stated before, 1000's of people are lining up to take a job that offers no housing assistance.

Cpt. Underpants
19th Oct 2010, 23:17
1000's of people are lining up to take a job that offers no housing assistance.

I don't think so. 1000's are lining up to get a licence, a type rating and some experience. After that, they'll head for the hills in droves.

Even the FOPs managers are dismayed at CX's lack of foresight in this ill-conceived scheme. The "training costs will be amortized in two years" mantra doesn't make sense when in three years all your trainees have left.

Back in the day, CX took on a heap of BA sponsored cadets who were unable to be placed in BA post training. ALL (bar one) left directly CX paid for Lear 45 time in Singapore (20 hours?) and a 747 type rating. It seems to me that history is about to repeat itself.

When all these under remunerated cadets have left, we'll have DEFO's and DEC's (expensive ones) all over again.

Oldaircrew
20th Oct 2010, 01:13
Yes, but by then Tony and his mates have already been paid huge bonuses for "saving" millions, so what do they care?

bogie30
21st Oct 2010, 00:35
Just out of interset have the cheap pilots started in Cathay yet? If they have do we know who they are and what fleet they are on?
Bogie!

geh065
21st Oct 2010, 00:37
I don't think they have started yet but they are expected very soon from memory.

Capt Toss Parker
21st Oct 2010, 01:14
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/2831/cathaycscale.jpg

crwjerk
21st Oct 2010, 03:55
Toss, I'm sure they've put this on their Face book and Myspace pages too..!

Lowkoon
21st Oct 2010, 12:25
I wonder if pprune was around in 93 if the A scalers would have been saying the same thing? We still came didn't we? Low cost airlines have shown us the race to the bottom will continue to amaze and revolt. Just when you think there is no way they will crew the shiny new jets at that rate, they manage to find people desperate enough. I'm not saying I like it, quite the opposite, but I am yet to see an airline admit that it has set the bar too low this time...

The US is waking up to it with the Dash 8 crash, but Asia is a very different kettle of fish unfortunately. We roll our eyes when we read about mainland pilots faking their logbooks to get airline jobs, but instead of doing anything about it, airlines look at ways to reduce the experience in the flight deck even further by offering deals to attract inexperienced pilots who will sell their first born to get a front seat.

Ironically, those that join on lesser conditions tend to bleet the loudest once in about the injustice of it all once they are in the company, ignoring the fact that it was their actions of taking the lesser contract that made it possible for the company to get away with it in the first place...