PDA

View Full Version : CX Housing Allowance correction

skypine27
15th Oct 2010, 20:54
I'm guessing this information found on APC (our version of PPRune) is very wrong!!

2 types of allowances: (a) the cash housing allowance which is $14,000, $18,000 or 24,000 HKD (dependent on position and years of service, or the mortgage allowance, which is variable/fixed, currently at $5,800/mo.

I Thought you guys got roughly 9200 USD for HKG housing!

If the info needs correcting, the site is:
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/international/cathay_pacific.html

And maybe post something in this thread so I don't look so stupid:

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/49541-fdx-hong-kong-fda-feedback-pitfalls-6.html

Thanks!

freightdog188
16th Oct 2010, 11:18
awww, that's sweet ... now we can expect a lot of public support when we do get some sort of industrial action on the way...
I can read the SCMP headline already: greedy overpaid pilots, whose housing allowance alone amounts to XYZ p.a. want even more money...

thanks for putting all these numbers in the public domain ...
:ugh:

Saltaire
16th Oct 2010, 11:45
Have to agree....very little sympathy with getting your mortgage paid for with an 8k USD/month payment ! that's a laugh. Not to mention the rental rates. Very little sympathy...small tax or not.

I suggest you keep likely the best expat terms on the planet pretty quiet.

SMOC
16th Oct 2010, 12:13
It's all pointless now seeing hiring is via the cadet scheme where housing is $0.

fire wall
16th Oct 2010, 13:31
Siber whatever your name is,
you have just shot your mates in the foot
well done son
big mouth = little brain

16th Oct 2010, 16:40
Silberfuchs, are you out of your f@cking mind???

bobrun
16th Oct 2010, 17:06
Just for the record, about 40% of cockpit crew do NOT receive any housing allowance.

crwjerk
16th Oct 2010, 17:30
I agree.... Delete it you tosser!

cxorcist
16th Oct 2010, 18:38
you can't teach common sense... :ugh:

Flap10
16th Oct 2010, 19:09
You guys are a complete embarrassment! Who gives a sh!t about what the public thinks. Since when are we fighting a political war?? You either have a valid argument for a pay rise or you don't!!! Trying to hide actuall numbers to make it look like you're far worse off is disgraceful!!! Firstly, don't you think Cathay will make those figures public when the **** hits the fan?? Secondly, like it or not it is public knowledge! Do you make your real estate agent sign a code of secrecy when you deal with him/her?? NO! Did Cathay make potential candidates sign a code of secrecy when they were here on interviews and were inquiring about the package?? NO! So get over yourselves, if Simon wants to get the figures all he has to do is contact management, there is no need to hunt for that information on PPrune. Absolutely right, you can't teach common sense :ok:

Bob Hawke
16th Oct 2010, 20:34
Hang on everyone! Put it into perspective, other professionals have their housing paid for and even more than CX pilots. Rental subsidy for some of these other professionals can almost double our housing. Have you ever wondered what some of our Senior Managers get?

The reality is that the housing is less than the full rental, so there is a lose, in regards to the total amount compared to rental, so why get worked up about it.

IT IS NOT PART OF SALARY. It is separate! It is paid for compensating the clearly excessive rents that landlords demand for their homes/apartments in Hong Kong. It is appropriate if you choose or are told to live in Hong Kong.

When you start to think in local terms, instead of expatriate, you are beginning to allow that thinking to permeate into not being able to distinguishing apples from oranges. So what if the public know.

Housing for expatriates is a DIFFERENT issue, especially if you qualify as a so called professional - but then again, maybe you accept the rhetoric that perhaps you're not - something to think about!

MidgetBoy
16th Oct 2010, 23:53
I'm confused.
What's wrong with receiving $50k+ USD per year extra to pay for your mortgage?
That's like paying off a place while keeping your income on top of that. I can't see how you can go wrong with that unless you're not receiving any...

411A
17th Oct 2010, 03:40
JFO and above.......
HK$24,000/mth

These are known as "base rates"...this is the amount you can take as cash in lieu of rental allowance, if you choose.

RENTING

As an SO, if you want to Rent, CX will pay HK$29,500 per month (US$3800)

FO:
Year 1-7 HK$59,000/mth (US$7600)
Year 8+ HK$75,900/mth (US$9800)

Capt:
HK$92,700/mth (US$11,900)

BUYING:

If you choose to buy a property in HK then CX will pay your mortgage at:
HK$59,000 - $63,000/mth (US$7600 - US$8100)

Apart from the "base rates" all other housing benefits are linked to the HK Government Rental Index, so they do change monthly.

Wonder how long it will take the folks at the SCMP to read this...here?:E

LongTimeInCX
17th Oct 2010, 09:06
411A, you really have a talent!:ugh:

Just because one idiot had a brain fart and publicised the info previously, you don't have to do the same just to prove you don't agree with it or that you think the amounts are too large. Living there, I know the amounts are not excessive and do not even come close to the figures other expats in HK are given. The actual $dollars$ figure means little, it is the size of the shoebox that is more important.

I know you enjoy being provocative, that's half the fun of reading your posts, but really does this one contribute anything positive?

Please make sure you don't trip over your zimmer frame on the way back to your retirement home, and if you are not booked into one yet, perhaps it's approaching that time.

So how about a rethink, and consider the edit/delete option? pulease?

N1 Vibes
17th Oct 2010, 09:43
As if the SCMP or any other quality journalistic organ in HKG hasn't previously sent a reporter over to the (G)Aviator and earwigged some rather loud alcohol fuelled conversations...

And the staff in the HKG banks where you go to get your mortgages, of course they keep their lips tightly sealed...

And the property agents that arranged your lease...

And your other half chatting at a coffee morning in Sai Kung/The Experiment....

There are no secrets in HKG, so deal with it. What a bunch of turkeys you really are!

Best Regards,

N1 Vibes

Aussie
17th Oct 2010, 18:58
Everyone has brain farts... but 411A, you honestly are a TOOL :ugh:

411A
18th Oct 2010, 06:55
...but 411A, you honestly are a TOOL
Can hardly wait for the 'industrial action' to start, then I can dust off some 49er comments....:}

badairsucker
18th Oct 2010, 07:09
here is a comment for you 411A

"GO AND GET A LIFE YOU SAD LITTLE MAN"

sedna
18th Oct 2010, 08:23
what is the terms and conditions for getting a housing allowance? if i would to join cx now ( i have flown the a330 and am holding a b772 rating) as an F/O,, will i be getting the allowance? needs some info here... thanks

DMN
18th Oct 2010, 08:54
Get in line man, even when they do start hiring again I think we can forget about the housing allowance. For me that makes Cathay NOT worth it. Even if time to command is very very long, having a few apartments paid off by Cathay would financially be worth it even as a 15 year first officer. But, stalled career progression, no housing= 0 attraction for me. I've been in the DESO pool since 2008. One thing that is still fairly nice (better then EK, EY) is CX pilot schedule, although that can also change overnight. I too fly heavies but would have taken the back seat, ONLY with the housing allowance.

Bye Bye Baby
18th Oct 2010, 08:55
Sedna,
Nup, no housing for you or for anyone else who joins (if CX get their way), which they invariably do.

Loopdeloop
18th Oct 2010, 09:07
Chaps

There is a tool for dealing with this tool! After years of reading his malevolent nonsense all I now get is:

"This message is hidden because 411A is on your ignore list."

followed by several posts telling him what an idiot he is. Good for the blood pressure, always makes me chuckle and I reckon I still get a balanced view from pprune.

The Wraith
18th Oct 2010, 12:37
411A, you really are a nasty, spiteful human being. You may think you are funny and witty and people like listening to you.....but you are sadly mistaken.
Why don't you spend some quality time with your friends and family instead of spouting your misguided vitriol here?
:confused:

411A
18th Oct 2010, 12:43
Why don't you spend some quality time with your friends and family....

Usually do, and they all have a good laugh at the thin skins that seem to prevail at CX.

V1 Vibes had it right...
There are no secrets in HKG, so deal with it. What a bunch of turkeys you really are!

Kurtis Chukle Willis
18th Oct 2010, 12:50
A couple years back, guys on this forum figured out who this 411A was, do a search if you want. Ended up just being some old fart with an axe to grind. I have taken the above advice and he is now on my ignore list.... so go ahead old fart I can't hear you........hello?.......hello? click. FU :E:E

Mouwaa
18th Oct 2010, 13:01
Sedna,

To sum it up. No.

There are 2 ways to join CX these days. Cadet SO, with no housing allowance, and probably soon by direct entry FO on a base or the freighter, so you will not receive any housing assistance there. You cannot join DEFO in HKG, except maybe on the freighter if you are mad, and even then there is no housing allowance.

PS. B772 is not a rating. B777 rating covers all models.

Bye Bye Baby
18th Oct 2010, 22:25
What an entertaining evening to have over at the 411a's house.
"Hey guys/family come over and watch me be annoying on an internet site" bet you get lots of takers for that one.
You are as much of a stupid old fool as you have always been.

411A
18th Oct 2010, 23:01
bet you get lots of takers for that one.

Without a doubt, and mostly from present and retired airline pilots, who usually mention...'those Cathay guys sure are a bunch of spoilt brats'.

Fits perfectly.

At CX, it would certainly appear...'fall in line with what the company decides...or do without, 49er style.':}

Mouwaa
18th Oct 2010, 23:54
8000+ posts. Dude, get a life.

Aussie
19th Oct 2010, 12:13
8000 plus posts of pure and utter crap...

Low life. :cool:

Team America
19th Oct 2010, 12:42
Anyone care to post the housing figures that other expat jobs pay? I am sure you will find that CX is well below par.

BBN RADAR
20th Oct 2010, 01:08
** Under HK Law Housing Allowance is paid in cash and you can use it anyway you please.....and its not taxed!
Cathay however do not pay us a Housing Allowance - the call it a Benefit......so 1. it is taxable 2. you must use it or lose it.

Why CX have chosen to appease the HK IRD (and pi$$ off the pilot body) is a mystery....no other companies/banks - including Swire - treat their expats in this way.

So, just to clarify; does everyone at CX entitled to receive housing (including managers), receive a housing "benefit" rather than a housing "allowance"? Or, is it just the pilots that are subjected to these conditions?

That would be a huge double standard if it were so.... but it also wouldn't surprise me! :rolleyes:

Saltaire
20th Oct 2010, 03:02
411A is jealous, simple as that. He must see those numbers and see his own or previous pay packages and shake his head. Green with envy. The spoilt brats comment makes it obvious.

411A
21st Oct 2010, 03:16
Green with envy.
Hardly.
Where I work fully furnished housing is provided, and considering the CX wages haven't gone up much in the last few years, I wouldn't be at all surprised if my salary (all tax-free) is quite a bit more than a senior A-scaler at CX.
CX used to be top of the pile...not any longer.

Saltaire
21st Oct 2010, 04:04
Of course you take home the equivalant of 8k US per month to pay for your mortgage plus over 20k US per month like these guys when their wage was frozen back in 1993 ;) With not a single pay increase since, they still make more than B scale, not to mention huge provident funds, travel allowances etc etc...Yes, 411, the A scale is 17 years old now, long gone, but those guys packages are untouchable. I'm sure you were making 20k a month almost 20 years ago.:suspect: Sorry, you'll have to just white flag on this one.

Sorry to hear about the new cadets without the allowance. That's a rough ride in the HK housing market.

411A
21st Oct 2010, 04:28
Of course you take home the equivalant of 8k US per month to pay for your mortgage
LOL...don't have a mortgage, and never have...paid cash.
You really are out of touch, aren't you...:ugh:

Cpt. Underpants
21st Oct 2010, 05:29
411A is a LONG-RETIRED, former airline pilot (questionable) who lives in front of his PC. He gets his rocks off by tormenting anyone who'll respond to his drivel. It's the credibility he so desperately needs, the recognition he no longer has.

His frame of reference is an obsolete type (L1011) that was brilliant in the 80's but becoming more of a museum piece by the day. The moment the conversation turns to modern aircraft types, his vitriol against GLASS and AIRBOOS picks up, even although he's never flown either. He understands neither.

He can say ANYTHING, claim to be ANYONE, all under the shield of anonymity the Internet affords lurking cretins.

If he bothers you, ignore him. It will upset him more than anything if no-one responds to his claptrap.

It's liberating and empowering to put him on your ignore list.

His identity is dead easy to discover, if you wish to - but DON'T. He'll revel in the attention. It's what he wants.

He NEEDS attention, just like The Guvnor did.

411A
21st Oct 2010, 06:28
411A is a LONG-RETIRED, former airline pilot

Wrong...;)

Bye Bye Baby
21st Oct 2010, 06:40
Wrong ...... as in never been an airline pilot, just a poor old fool. Can't wait for the next gathering around the computer over at your house, excited beyond belief already.

Saltaire
21st Oct 2010, 14:59
I guess I forgot the best part 411, after the mortgage was paid off quickly from the allowance for these guys here, they just collected the 8k US/month as extra salary. Untouchable.

411A
22nd Oct 2010, 03:46
I guess I forgot the best part 411, after the mortgage was paid off quickly from the allowance for these guys here, they just collected the 8k US/month as extra salary.

All very interesting, however...old news.
New news is the company has found out the pilots (as a collective group) have no backbone, so...conditions slide into the abyss.
And nothing the pilots can do about it.:rolleyes:

skypine27
1st Nov 2010, 13:18
Anyhow, thanks for the accurate numbers.

trevfly
2nd Nov 2010, 19:10
Actually , my girlie was surprised how little pilots in HK actually earn when compared to all the hype she's heard. I guess 20 yrs ago, the A scale WAS really something to crow about, but I dont think they did. Bring along B scale and all we get is how well Pilots are paid, which will take another 20 years to loose its .

A Standard Chartered investement banker, with 10years total experience can expect a rental of around 150K on top of asalary of $250000/month plus bonus ++. And this is post banking crisis.

Ex Cathedra
3rd Nov 2010, 04:44
guess 20 yrs ago, the A scale WAS really something to crow about

And that's mostly because in 20 years, pilots' salaries have decreased while everybody else's has increased.

In HK, pilots are now merely middle to low class expats. Not much above english teachers.
Here's an idea for a reconversion...

Stallone
3rd Nov 2010, 08:08
no matter how bad, people will still jump at the chance of flying for CX starting as cadets..

worse come to worse, go live in Lamma Island, cheaper

Bob Hawke
4th Nov 2010, 02:21
Cannot! Would not be able to comply with Reserve Report requirements.

ACORD
7th Nov 2010, 06:14
I don't know why you guys keep on comparing expat conditions against those of investment bankers: These folks earn stupid money and are not representative of the hundreds of other expat occupations.

I can tell you that in most industries (including the senior ranks in most of financial services) there is little difference between the cost of local hires and expats.

gjanf
8th Nov 2010, 02:54
Hate to say it, but 411A is right on one thing......"CX used to be top of the pile...not any longer."

And guys, the numbers are neither a secret nor outrageous. When a 400 sq ft flat in Mid Levels costs HK$4,000,000 then an allowance of HK$55,000 is not an exorbitant amount. But the guys joining now without Housing Allowance are screwed; there is no way you can afford to live in HKG on current CX salaries with no housing.

And SP's recent article in SCMP was a pretty balanced one, I thought, more on the pilots' side than CX's if anything.