PDA

View Full Version : Airlines that only hire cadets....

Scorpion83
14th Oct 2010, 00:37
Just got this email from PATs today and read a peculiar article....

Pilot Aptitude Training Systems: Airline Pilot Cadetship Summary (http://www.******************.au/?page=AirlineApplicants/AirlinePilotCadetship)

"It is important to appreciate the scale of both the Cathay Pacific and Jetstar cadetship programs. Cathay Pacific plan to graduate over 100 pilots per year from their cadetship and have stopped hiring direct entry(qualified) pilots. Jetstar has virtually ceased new classes of direct entry First Officers and is shifting to an all cadet program for their future pilot needs – looking to graduate 80 plus per year."

How true is this statement or is it just marketing talk?

Surely there will always be an avenue for direct entry pilots.

DeltaT
16th Oct 2010, 05:41
Purely speculative, but once USA made the 1500hrs experience rule I think other airlines not in USA know the writing is on the wall for them and so are going balls to the wall to get as many cadets as they can before their country aligns itself and imposes the same law.

As for Direct Entry pilots, its the same as its always been, those that are rated and with 500+hrs on type are favoured and can apply regardless of any opening not being advertised.

Exactly where pilots have been starting out with no experience on type prior to this whole cadet wave, anyone know?

By George
16th Oct 2010, 09:39
China Southern, Singapore Airlines to name two that come to mind. Wide-body F/O with 400 hours total is not unusual. Most have a degree, are very bright, well trained and get by OK. More importantly they know their limitations. The military have done it for years.

Checkboard
16th Oct 2010, 13:06
easyJet in the UK (181 odd aircraft) now only hires pay-from-scratch cadets, and I think that Ryanair (250 odd aircraft) is the same.

DeltaT
17th Oct 2010, 09:41
I meant as in which airlines take someone experienced, not a cadet, with no time on type?