PDA

View Full Version : Damage History

VH-XXX
14th Oct 2010, 00:15
If you were considering buying an aircraft that was advertised with "No Damage History," what does that mean to YOU and what do you think is acceptable?

a. The aircraft has never been damaged, no crashes, no prop strikes.
b. The aircraft had a prop strike, but that's ok, as the engine was checked out and reassembled
c. The aircraft had a nose wheel collapse but it didn't damage the fuselage so its' ok
d. The damage history got lost and nobody knows if it was ever damaged
e. Other

12-47
14th Oct 2010, 00:37
By my definition I'd say a., but I'm sure definitions held by advertisers vary. Where do you draw the line? Would a broken spat caused by a hard landing constitute damage history? Bottom line is buyer beware, get the thing checked with a fine tooth comb and be comfortable with whatever it may have been through. I've seen some superb aeroplanes that were involved in complete rebuilds (twice on a 182RG) and would have had no issues buying such.

PA39
14th Oct 2010, 01:08
IMHO, damage history usually refers to damage to any part of the airframe (minor or major) and undercarriage. eg guts up, nose wheel collapse, main gear collapse, ground strike ( hitting other aircraft, post, bowser, hangar etc etc). A prop strike (caused by running into a pot hole or similar) in my opinion would not be detrimental to my purchasing an aircraft providing it had been logged accordingly (often not) and engine torn down if applicable... and repaired IAW....

gas-chamber
14th Oct 2010, 02:18
Depends where or who you are buying it from. Option d. above is quite possible for airplanes coming out of the USA. If any logboooks are missing that could be to hide prior damage. Properly repaired damage from a gear-up would not put me off buying . Hail damage is another one that should be easily repaired by re-skinning. I would never buy if it had a major wing repair or had been badly twisted out of shape.
Prop strikes from hitting things like towbars may not count as damage to the airplane itself, only to the powerplant and must be dealt with by a teardown inspection.
Any history of major damage will affect the resale value. Which is OK if you buy cheap and are prepared to accept you will have to also sell cheap.

VH-XXX
14th Oct 2010, 03:02
Good call PA39. This query is in reference to an aircraft advertised with "no damage history," yet I know for a fact that the aircraft was prop-struck, necessating a bulk strip and re-assembly.

In the end, it probably doesn't matter, however you could say the same things about a wing being half ripped off, then replaced, I don't see a difference.

Hopefully this individual can see the errors in their ways!

43Inches
14th Oct 2010, 04:12
Regardless of what the vendor says you must always get a pre-purchase inspection done by an engineer you trust. A good survey will always turn up interesting facts about the aircraft or inconsistantcies in the maintenance logs if something dodgy has happened in the past.

The only time I would not get a pre-purchase on any large cost item would be if it is covered by a significant warranty such as new houses and cars.

One aircraft we purchased was advertised as no-damage history, during the pre-purchase we found entries in the logs which led to an admission by the owner that it had been involved in a gear up. As we were satisfied the correct work had been done to rectify faults and the aircraft was in good condition otherwise we still went ahead with the purchase although at a substancial discount to the original offer. The loser was the seller as we probably would have paid close to the original price had he been honest in the first instance. Despite the damage history the aircraft turned out to be a good one which was reliable until sold.

If they advertise nil-damage history and you find some events you can use it to bargain the price down.

Exaviator
14th Oct 2010, 06:18
Two words of advice:

Caveat Emptor...................

VH-XXX
14th Oct 2010, 06:32
Caveat Emptor...................

Not if there are legalities involved and failure to disclose information.

Exaviator
14th Oct 2010, 09:22
Not if there are legalities involved and failure to disclose information.

Means nothing after the event unless you have deep pockets to pursue legal redress, particularly if you have purchased from overseas.:hmm:

Mr.Buzzy
14th Oct 2010, 22:58
To fly, float or fornicate........rent

Jack Ranga
15th Oct 2010, 03:35
bbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............................ ....bbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PA39
15th Oct 2010, 08:53
XXX "In the end, it probably doesn't matter, however you could say the same things about a wing being half ripped off, then replaced, I don't see a difference."

Not really mate, it would be similar to a car having an engine seize and replaced in comparison to that vehicle being extensively accident damaged and repaired. The wing won't be halfed ripped off without possible damage to the fuse etc....its only aluminium remember.

I have experience of a lot of damaged aircraft not flying "straight" either through bent fuse or poor rigging.... usually because of the bent fuse. Doors always popping open when the airframe twisted.

I remember one Chieftain coming in from Brazil wih bogged up bullet holes under the fresh paint.....the thing should have been totalled, it was like Swiss cheese! The "new" owner had us fly it back to where it came from and sold it at a great loss. (wouldn't pass CoA here)!! Caveat Emptor is even more appropriate for aircraft....buy wrong and the hip pocket nerve goes into convulsions. :sad: