PDA

View Full Version : Follow a dream or the Money ?

aborn76
13th Oct 2010, 13:41
Here is the scoop, I retire from the USAF in June 2011(42 yrs old). I have been an aircrew member(not pilot) with over 7500 hrs on E-3 AWACS(surveillance), KC-10 (Boom Operator) and saveral law enforcement aircrafts. I also did the ATC thing for a couple of years and am a CRM facilitator for theAir NAtional Guard. I have done everything but become what i initially wanted to become. Now here is the kicker, i can literally have all my flight training paid for by the GI bill (Professional pilot program). My retirement combined with my wifes will suffice. I can continue working for the government in a office environment and make decent money. My friends that are flying for Corporate, regionals, and the airlines are so dissatified with their careers that they think im crazy to turn down decent money for free flight training and a mediocre flight training job after training if i can even get one. I understand the airline industry is in a word of hurt but is it wrong to just to want to fly ? I would like and respect any advise or comments that you may have, thanks

D'pirate
13th Oct 2010, 21:29
Listen to your friends, hate to say it but aviation careers have gone down the tube, take the government job and fly recreationally. Sounds like you've contributed and experienced a lot of what is on offer already, thanks for that.

Big Duke 6
13th Oct 2010, 22:08
Personally I would follow your gut instinct, but obviously an understanding that you may have no job after training or not a satisfactory one. It will come though, a lot of persistence, hard work, intestinal fortitude and focus will get you there.

Go for it, that’s what I say. Understand this I am not a fully qualified pilot yet, but am handing in my notice to go training full time -Heli- next week.

I have researched it thoroughly, have travelled abroad to meet with company managers/directors have put the networking in and I’m doing everything possible to make sure I give it my best shot. If it don’t work out , ill paint houses till I get the job I want.
Depends on how bad you want it really!! No athlete goes to the olympics thinking they are not going to win , right!! No point otherwise, so if you have a belief in yourself, that is a 100% belief you will get there.
Seems to me that you have already decided what you want to do, and are in a way seeking reassurance so there is your answer mate.

Best of luck.

aborn76
15th Oct 2010, 14:33
Yes the new Chapter 33 pays for it all(even the PPL), as long as i attend an IHC school, Presently Embry Riddle , University of N Dakota and Avaitor College are approved. The Flight training are actually classified as Labs so that's how they are able to do it. They even pay for one checkride. I have confirmed it with the VA. Thats why my decision is so difficult. I think im going to follow my dream, thanks and take care

aborn76
15th Oct 2010, 14:41
Thanks for the words of wisdom, hope everything works out for you and your Helicopter training, I agree nothing comes easy in this word, but if you want it bad enough i should go for it, take care and safe flying

Big Duke 6
18th Oct 2010, 23:57
Yea go for it..Good on ya..

I'll be moving to Orlando early next year for the year to do CPLH at Bristow academy..
keep in touch might get chance to have a beer and an aviation chinwag..

Goodluck