PDA

View Full Version : RAF Hawk destroys house

Really annoyed
12th Oct 2010, 22:18
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/Image/pah/Perry_Co_Tor/Crosstown1.JPG

This is the devastation caused by 1 Hawk from RNAS Yeovilton. Well not quite. But listening to this chimp you would have thought so.

A multi-millionaire farmer who says parts of his historic home have been 'destroyed' by intense sound waves coming from low-flying RAF fighter jets is suing the Ministry of Defence for six-figure damages.

Read more: Millionaire sues MoD for £143,000 after high-speed fighter jets damage historic mansion in low-flying passes | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319883/Millionaire-sues-MoD-143-000-high-speed-fighter-jets-damage-historic-mansion-low-flying-passes.html#ixzz12BZOimKa)

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh some days I get really annoyed with some people.

waveskimmer
12th Oct 2010, 22:24
Name says it all a right plonker rodney:suspect:

dat581
13th Oct 2010, 00:41
So this house survived a couple of decades of Phantoms buzzing over and then a few more with Harriers and this joker thinks a tiny little Hawk caused all this structural damage? :hmm:

Mad (Flt) Scientist
13th Oct 2010, 01:09
Makes you wonder why they bother hanging weapons pylons on the export Hawks - that just slows them down and makes the "sound waves" less destructive, surely.

Thunderpants
13th Oct 2010, 02:37
In Bosnia we had a local who was trying to sue the MOD because he swore blind that the once weekly Chinook flight over his house caused so much vibration, that the fridge door popped open and all his beer crashed out all over the kitchen floor.

He was demanding to be compensated for his loss:rolleyes:.

Gotta give the guy credit for tryin' I 'spose.......

dmussen
13th Oct 2010, 02:53
Anybody got a Vulcan handy?
Dirtied up with the levers all the way forward should do the trick.

Occasional Aviator
13th Oct 2010, 03:59
Hm. Lived about a mile from there for a few years, and have to say at the time the jets tended to take off and land along the runway orientation, not turning 40 degrees to go over Kingsdon. Oh, and they didn't low fly in the MATZ.

I think the 'blue lyre stone' referred to is actually blue lias - used in that area for houses until around 100 years agao when people were ableto get better stone that doesn't degenerate and crumble away on its own - I speak as one who has renovated a blue lias house only a mile or two away.

But I am glad that the mail has managed to credit this to the RAF - such a well researched piece.

A2QFI
13th Oct 2010, 05:04
Regrettably there is a precedent here.

£1m payout over country house idyll ruined by the scream of Harrier jets: no one should have to endure this, rules judge | Richard Buxton Solicitors (http://www.richardbuxton.co.uk/v3.0/?q=node/242)

A man moved into a house a bit off the centre line of the runaway at Wittering and about 2 miles finals, complained about the noise and got £1 million. He had asked for £10 million but even £ 1 million is useful

RedhillPhil
13th Oct 2010, 06:37
It's not just aeroplanes. People regulary as clockwork buy houses next to railway lines then complain about the noise of trains.

Barksdale Boy
13th Oct 2010, 06:42
I know one or two decent chaps called Rodney.

engineer(retard)
13th Oct 2010, 09:50
Perhaps his 3 pigs lived with him. Everybody knows what happens then.

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2010, 09:58
You should see the damage the F4, F3 and F2 have done to my house. had to paper over the cracks every 10 years or so :}

charliegolf
13th Oct 2010, 10:33
F4, F3 and F2

PN, are they the kids' nicknames? They don't count in law!

CG

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2010, 10:35
CG, unfortunately I was on the F4 some 4 years before they even made the bricks for my house.

The F4 was of course the FGR2.

MostlyHarmless
13th Oct 2010, 11:24
The High Court heard yesterday the MoD agreed that jets had caused some damage to Mr O’Brien’s property but valued this at only £3,000.

3 Grands worth of damage? Shorting of hitting the place, how did they manage that?!

Ali Qadoo
13th Oct 2010, 11:38
Mind you, the Hawk does have previous. I remember (1986-ish) watching a pilotless Hawk doing several laps of the Wattisham circuit - Bloggs had got airborne with the canopy unlocked and ejected when the aircraft started to roll uncontrollably. Next came a horrible crump and the usual fireball/smoke as it piled into a house. The owner was in her kitchen and escaped unhurt IIRC. Both house and Hawk were CAT 5. Said chimp doesn't know he's born!

Mick Strigg
13th Oct 2010, 12:09
Erm.......

Kingsdon is North of Runway 27/09. The jets always circuit to the south and never go near Kingsdon. Even during Air Day, the jets stay south of the runway.

Why hasn't the MOD lawyer cottoned on to this?

skyfish2
13th Oct 2010, 16:42
I remember in my halcyon days, crop spraying along the edge of a large paddock,and the powers that be received a call from a very irate lady saying the shock and vibration had caused her chistmas cake to go flat in t'oven! after landing sent loader round wiv some cake mix,no it was not Delia.

barnstormer1968
13th Oct 2010, 16:53
Thread drift, but on a similar-ish subject.

Can anyone post up the pic of an RAF aircraft wedged between two houses (with it and the houses mostly intact)?

Memory says it was a Hunter, but it could be anything from that era to be honest.

Legalapproach
13th Oct 2010, 17:30
It was a Hunter at Tintagel

http://www.tintagelweb.co.uk/images/Plane%20Crash%20Photos/GabrielPlane40.jpg

I understand one of the houses has now been renamed "Hunter's rest"

grandfer
13th Oct 2010, 18:26
I know a few places where a low flyby like that would do £143,000 worth of improvements ! :eek:

E-Spy
13th Oct 2010, 21:15
I must say, I read no further than the end of the link to 'mail_online', and stopped!

cornish-stormrider
14th Oct 2010, 14:50
I used to work with one of the eng's on crash and smach atabingdon (yes I know) and he went to that one - he showed me all sorts of interesting pics for when we had a real air force.....

some of the wimmin they had posing for shots were really fit too:E

grandfer
14th Oct 2010, 17:41
I don't like wimmin , it makes me 'air wet .

Vitesse
14th Oct 2010, 18:39
Be interesting to see how they arrived at the £3K figure. There must be a bit more to this case though - high court is pretty serious stuff.

Synthetic
14th Oct 2010, 21:51
The Hunter was my flight commander's handywork. :D

AR1
15th Oct 2010, 06:43
Slight thread creep but Tintagel was my first trip in a Helecopter as crash guard, 2 weeks out of training. I remember it well. Shocking scenes. Tried to get the WPC on duty to go out for a drink with me. An opportunist pull that failed.

Back on thread.. Odd things vibrations. I lived in quarters at Machrihanish, and one evening the house began to vibrate, I honestly thought it was an earthquake, but it turned out to be a Sea Stallion overhead at quite some altitude.

BEagle
15th Oct 2010, 08:36
I lived in quarters at Machrihanish, and one evening the house began to vibrate, I honestly thought it was an earthquake, but it turned out to be a Sea Stallion overhead at quite some altitude.

One hopes that said vibrations added a little spice to your evening?

I guess the CH-53 was working with Weird Wally's mysterious 'men in black' scuttling about on the Mull luring Chinooks like some latter-day Sirens....

Checkboard
15th Oct 2010, 09:13
Perhaps the M.O.D. lawyers should sit the court down to watch half an hour's TV: (http://mythbustersresults.com/curving-bullets)

The sonic boom from a supersonic fighter jet will break glass.

busted

Adam and Jamie teamed up with the Navy’s Blue Angels to test this myth. Adam first received some subsonic flight training in an FA-18; despite passing out and vomiting at various times, he enjoyed the experience. To operate at supersonic speeds, they had to go to a restricted zone due to FAA rules. At the test site, the MythBusters built a small cabin with a glass window in addition to parking a car and leaving a table with lots of glass objects on it. When a Blue Angel jet, with Adam aboard, flew by at supersonic speed and with 8,000 feet of altitude, barely a sound was heard. At 2,000 feet, a loud boom was heard but no glass was broken. The jet continued to make lower and lower passes, ultimately making five passes at just 200 feet. The house’s window was broken from these passes, but nothing else was broken. Because of the extremely unlikely circumstance of a 200-foot supersonic jet pass, and the minimal damage observed, this myth was declared busted.

:hmm::hmm:

BEagle
15th Oct 2010, 09:39
The jet continued to make lower and lower passes, ultimately making five passes at just 200 feet.

I can just see the expression on the face of the Blues' pilot.."You want me to do what?".

Years ago, it was thought that Concorde's Irish Sea supersonic testing might be damaging some god-shop in Cornwall. So test meters were duly installed; when Concorde's distant boom was heard, the needles were indeed seen to flicker...

"You see, you see - told you so!" said the god-botherer. Then someone slammed the church door - and the needles went to full scale deflexion!

cornish-stormrider
15th Oct 2010, 11:29
Beags - I though you at least would have the knowledge that you do not slam the doors in the house of the Lord. You will wake the elderly parishoner haveing a snooze (usually during the sermon)

Dysonsphere
15th Oct 2010, 14:24
When Concorde was in service on a good day you could hear the boom on the NW coast of cornwall, was a wonderfull sound now missed by most I suspect.

Jollygreengiant64
15th Oct 2010, 23:27
YouTube - F-111 FlyBy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8594KFiTek)

Perhaps american sound waves travel with a different accent?

david parry
16th Oct 2010, 09:25
Rodders has only gone and won his case:rolleyes: £92,933 in damages plus £28,OOO in legal costs