PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Books

wowzz
12th Oct 2010, 13:16
Stupid question time again - I don't fly as much as I used to, but I recall that in the past, and probably now as well, electronic devices could not be used during take-off and landing.
Does this same restriction also apply to electronic book-readers ? [Yes, I know that they are obviously electronic devices]. Is it really possible that such a device can affect the safety of the sircraft?
Given the ever increasing popularity of these devices - I am thinking specifically of the Kindle here - perhaps some clarification as to their use would be helpful.

intortola
12th Oct 2010, 14:42
Flown on 3 different carriers in last couple of weeks and 2 of them certainly made a point of mentioning electronic books as items that must be turned off for take off and landing.

G-BPED
12th Oct 2010, 16:20
I would think that given the fact that latest Kindle models have Wi-Fi and 3G capability the prohibition of using any electronic device during take-off, approach and landing would be applied to all electonic book readers as well.

Regards,

G-BPED

radeng
13th Oct 2010, 13:10
Even CE marked devices meeting EN55022 can cause interference to radio systems. Additionally, the fact that they are CE marked does not necessarily mean that they meet EN55022.

SNS3Guppy
13th Oct 2010, 14:38
Any personal electronic devices should be turned off during takeoff and landing.

I carry a Kindle in my flight bag, right on top of my day planner, and yes...I do turn it on in flight. Especially on long flights. It's off, obviously, for takeoff and landing...

radeng
14th Oct 2010, 12:13
Actually, they don't mean ALL electronic devices.... pacemakers and hearing aids, for example! Airlines haven't yet caught up with the fact that modern pacemakers have radio transceivers in them.

MikeIW
14th Oct 2010, 16:34
My new kindle and I were on two BA business class flights in the last couple of weeks. On the first, the take off rule was ignored by one pax (not me !) and equally ignored by the cabin crew. On the second it was politely enforced by the purser. Once the cabin crew left their seats to commence service about ten devices appeared without objection.

It is important though to ensure that the wifi and 3G are off. Easily remembered for one's phone but equally easy to forget on the book.

Eddy
20th Oct 2010, 17:47
The rule is more about ensuring that we have our passenger's attention during the two stages of fought where things are most likely to go wrong, as opposed to concerns over electronic interference.

It's just easier to say that it's to avoid system problems.

Still, people don't listen. They never will. The Air Nav Order needs to be enforced more strictly. If you stand up on arrival before the seatbelt sign is off, I think you should be fined.

ExXB
20th Oct 2010, 19:52
Eddy,

Thanks for your comment but do you really think that new technology, like a kindle or an iPad disrupt a passenger's attention more than a book, or a magazine, or a newspaper (that you have given them a few minutes before)?

I accept that there may be a valid reason for not have electronics on, because it could cause interference (although this is subject to debate on other threads) but I don't believe they cause more disruption to passenger's attention.

Let's face it we ignore the briefing because it's boring, tells you to do things that you did some minutes ago (like putting your carryon in the locker and fastening your seat belt - while you are taxing to the active). Some of us have already counted the rows to the exits, checked the safety card and are well prepared. Your briefing is for the once-a-year flyers, not for us.

If you really want us to pay attention, tell a joke; dance in the aisles or do something, anything different from one flight to the next.

I live in Switzerland where we like to make and follow rules, but give me a break, would you really wish to fine your customers, and in some cases your best customers, for standing up before the guy in the pointy end gets around to pushing a button? My goodness.

pax britanica
21st Oct 2010, 21:33
EXxB

I hope I never have to fly next to you if you sit near an exit row or we hit turbulence.

Would you like the flight crew to skip the check list because we just did that an hour ago ?

And why not fine self important idiots who stand up before the seat belt sign is off , like the fool I flew with 3 months ago. She was out of her seat laptop bag in one hand and phone in other when the pilot decided he needed a little extra thrust to get to the stop line at the gate of course she lost her balance , hands full, couldnt save herself and fell on a 4 year old girl sitting across the aisle-lovely.

It takes a moment from your day to run over the safety card and listen to what the crew say,its not just for you , you know

PB