PDA

View Full Version : Avtech 2000 Courses

Cirrus666
12th Oct 2010, 10:52
Hello all,

I have currently enrolled in the Avtech Aviation Foundation course and plan to go on and do the Operations & Dispatch and Economics & Management courses too. Ultimately I would like to find work within Airline Operations and would appreciate any advice from any one out there who is already in the field? I'm just wondering if I am heading in the right direction? Many thanks.

desertopsguy
12th Oct 2010, 11:42
Hi there,

It is hard to give any useful advice without any background info so the most appropriate answer might be, it depends. I know that is not entirely helpful but it does really depend on various factors such as...

Your age, if you are young enough you can put up with the generally low entry level salaries. If you are trying to support a family then it will not be easy.
Your location, if you don't live near reasonably big airports with several operators then your chances of finding a job may be reduced. That said, plenty of people who already live in out of the way places might find work in their local airport where city people may not want to live.

Getting into ops is not always easy and many companies recruit from within but from time to time they look outside the company due lack of existing talent.
Little things that might not seem like much can add up to make you a decent prospect. The company might then take a chance on you if you came with good computer skills, a second or third European language (incl Russian these days) is helpful, experience of working shift-work, be knowledgeable on aviation current affairs, additional short courses such as project management or things from your previous background that would be considered transferable skills are also potentially worth something.

Being flexible is important and if you are tied to one location you may be limiting your options.

As I mentioned, it all depends on your circumstances.

Of course the big one that often gets overlooked is contacts, many people get a position due to people they know who are already there or who can canvas on their behalf so if you have anyone who can assist in any way then that is always an advantage.

Finally, a pair of good wellies to wade through all the crap you encounter on a daily basis :}

Best of Luck

Cirrus666
12th Oct 2010, 12:21
Desertopsguy you have mail.

merlinxx
12th Oct 2010, 14:06
Hey take the tips from DoG he's got a good handle today, which is not a pretty one:mad: I wish it were. As it was:E:ok:

desertopsguy
12th Oct 2010, 15:23
Merlin, still lamenting the good ole days of the sandpit ?:p

At least the weather is cooling off and Ramadness is over for another year :}

All the best...