PDA

View Full Version : Ernest K Gann

Herod
11th Oct 2010, 21:23
This Thursday (14th) is the hundredth anniversary of the birth of Ernest K Gann.

PPRuNe Pop
11th Oct 2010, 21:26
And what a legacy he left!

Dan Winterland
12th Oct 2010, 04:09
"Fate is the Hunter" should be compulsory reading for all airline pilots. Much of what he writes hasn't changed over the years - particularly about seniority!

Tmbstory
12th Oct 2010, 07:32
Fate is the Hunter is the best book for all pilots who want to obtain an instrument rating.

It was mandatory reading for my students.

Tmb

Taff Missed
12th Oct 2010, 09:13
But surely if it was complusory reading for IR students it would take away the surprise element of lighting matches under their noses on finals.....

Taff

Cubs2jets
12th Oct 2010, 10:36
Any truth to the rumor that he is still dead?

C2j

noperf
12th Oct 2010, 13:51
Dead? The town folk along AM-21 often report the sounds of radial engines late at night. Ross is probably dead though.

merlinxx
12th Oct 2010, 14:14
Not dead, the name is the spirit within all aviation loving folks, be they pilots, engineers, dispacthers, loaders, ramp tramps, gas pumpers ! Hey even those folks (nice folks) at the FBO who charge 4.47 USG ITP for JetA1:mad::ok::ok::ok:

barit1
16th Oct 2010, 19:21
Of Gann's legacy, I still get a kick from Band Of Brothers. What a tale he tells! Hint: it involves two trimotors, three decades apart. :)

4Greens
16th Oct 2010, 21:03
Still feel its the best book about civil aviation ever written. Still don't like the title. It implies that fate did the damage. Not true it was early days,early experience, dodgy engines, systems and so forth. Gann survived because he was good. He did himself a disservice.

Taff Missed
19th Oct 2010, 14:15
Good, because he was able to keep his 1-engined DC4 out of the waters of the Flushing River, but lucky the plugs had only been changed on three engines.

Good, because he got his aircraft and pax on the ground in one piece at Stevensville, but lucky to find the 'sucker hole'.

Fate? Whatever, this thread has prompted me to read it again.

Taff

barit1
20th Oct 2010, 15:37
Perhaps the survival of crew and pax in Gann's day was a function not only of fate, but of sufficient training / planning to be aware of "sucker holes" and the like, and take advantage of them when necessary. :ooh:

Tankertrashnav
20th Oct 2010, 17:32
Really impressed with the navigation skills required of pilots in those days. I like the bit where he goes to the astrodome to do a few shots which he then calculates and plots himself. How many could still do that in these days of GPS etc?

Radialsrule
21st Oct 2010, 11:27
If you are also into boats, Song Of The Sirens by E.G. is a very good read. He had quite a number of various types of vessels but settled on traditional sail.

ColinB
21st Oct 2010, 23:23
Are many of you old enough to recall that John Wayne starred in The High and the Mighty? The Duke was his goldarn normal wooden self but I can still hum the theme tune as played by Les Baxter and Chorus, as a matter of fact I may not be able to stop humming it.

Evileyes
22nd Oct 2010, 04:26
I always thought John Wayne played the part fairly well. But I would have prefered Jimmy Stewart. A real pilot, 8th Air Force WWII Veteran, and brilliant actor.

Herod
22nd Oct 2010, 11:15
I've just watched the film "Fate is the Hunter". Not a bad film for its era, but how it can claim to be based on the book is beyond me. Unless you can claim significant co-incidences. BTW, if you want to watch James Stewart play a pilot, I can recommend "Strategic Air Command". Worth it for the aircraft shots alone; and he does play the part well. Watch for the Freudian slip he makes, which is not picked up by the director.

Cubs2jets
22nd Oct 2010, 11:25
BTW, if you want to watch James Stewart play a pilot, I can recommend "Strategic Air Command".

Herod,

Bg. Gen. James Stewart didn't "play" a pilot. He was one. He flew B-12's, B-24's, B-36's and B-47's to name a few. What have you flown?

C2j

kluge
22nd Oct 2010, 14:19
Per a former post 'Song Of The Sirens' is a wonderful read for those who like sailing and adventure.

Amazon.com: Song of the Sirens (9781574090925): Ernest K. Gann: Books: Reviews, Prices & more (http://www.amazon.com/Song-Sirens-Ernest-K-Gann/dp/1574090925)

For those who have seen the movie 'White Squall', also highly recommended - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Squall_(film)
this was the brig that Gann writes of in Song of the Sirens.

allyn
22nd Oct 2010, 17:02
I've just watched the film "Fate is the Hunter". Not a bad film for its era, but how it can claim to be based on the book is beyond me. Unless you can claim significant co-incidences. BTW, if you want to watch James Stewart play a pilot, I can recommend "Strategic Air Command". Worth it for the aircraft shots alone; and he does play the part well. Watch for the Freudian slip he makes, which is not picked up by the director.
Unquote

Here's the wikipedia entry:

Fate Is the Hunter (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate_Is_the_Hunter_%28film%29)

Gann wasn't happy with the results...

ColinB
22nd Oct 2010, 17:43
And the full spec is at Fate Is the Hunter (1964) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058091/)

Herod
22nd Oct 2010, 19:34
Cubs2jets, if we're going to get personal, let's start with the Jet Provost in 1964, proceed through various helicopters, C130 etc in the military, assorted airliners, finishing LHS in B737 in 2004.

I didn't say James Stewart wasn't a real pilot, I said he was playing one in the film. His Freudian slip is when he is excitedly talking to his wife. He is supposed to be an ex B17 skipper, but when describing the B36 he says "I used to think the B24 was big...."

stevef
22nd Oct 2010, 23:43
As well as being a B17 pilot, I believe Stewart also flew B24s with a bombardment group in Norfolk.
My favourite American actor; along with Gregory Peck. Twelve o' Clock High takes some beating.

noperf
23rd Oct 2010, 00:19
"Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation" tops them all.

JEM60
23rd Oct 2010, 07:47
STEVEF
Shipdam, in Norfolk, for Stewart's B.24 ops, IIMRC

barit1
24th Oct 2010, 01:20
ColinB:And the full spec is at Fate Is the Hunter (1964) - IMDb

Fair warnng: You have the risk of dying laughing when you see the "airplane". :eek:

PinkHarrier
24th Oct 2010, 04:21
For those who like the thoughtful Gann, perhaps you may like Guy Murchie (1907-1997). A pilot as well and his Song of the Sky is a great read.

Song of the Sky by Guy Murchie - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2900911.Song_of_the_Sky)

wayoutwest
25th Oct 2010, 05:57
hi all.just finished watching THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY on dvd after many many years and really enjoyed it.loved the bit at the end with the guy smoking a cigar under the broken engine.but yes very enjoyable.:)

stepwilk
25th Oct 2010, 14:19
I second PinkHarrier's Guy Murchie opinion. "Song of the Sky" is perhaps the least-known truly great aviation book.

T-21
28th Oct 2010, 19:03
James Stewart flew B-24s with the 445thBG at Tibenham where he was Commanding Officer of the703rd Bombardment Squadron. Later he transferred as Operations officer with the 453rd BG at Old Buckenham. Clark Gable flew B-17s making a gunnery film in 1943 "Combat America" at Polebrook and Molesworth.

Jig Peter
29th Oct 2010, 15:38
I strongly agree with Pink Harrier's and Stepwilk's opinion of Guy Murchie's Song of the Sky - I got mine when the "Librarian" (an Educator, I think) of the Officers' Mess where I was stationed decided to give it (and others) away as he didn't have enough shelf space ... That would be more than a "very long time ago", but from first reading to just a few weeks ago it has brought me much pleasure.
Thanks, very sincerely, Mr. Murchie, for years of good reading.