PDA

View Full Version : OAA ab-initio student's PIC privileges before CPL

maximus610
10th Oct 2010, 15:02
Hi all

I have a question about OAA ab-initio students:

How are they allowed to exercise PIC privileges before getting their CPL?

As far as I know they don't get any PPL in ab-initio program.

Thanks

Mxms

mad_jock
10th Oct 2010, 15:45
Every flight will be authorised by a FI.

Although as most of this type of flying will be done in the US it will have to conform to FAA rules on solo flying.

And even after getting there blue book there is no garantee that they will have a SEP class rating. I have seen quite a few turn up requiring a SEP skills test and pay yet more money to the CAA before they can fly SEP.

Don't confuse the class ratings with license held. I should imagine there are more than a few out there that have never held a SEP class rating ever. But they are perfectly happy with an out of date MEP rating and some Boeing or Airbus rating.

hollingworthp
10th Oct 2010, 15:51
MJ has it spot on.

There was a duty FI sitting in ops who would authorise each solo flight and pop a little sticker into your log book to that effect after checking your map and individual wind limitations (which were set by your own instructor).

If you didn't already hold a PPL before you started (an unnecessary additional cost as far as I was personally concerned) then you won't get an SEP out of OAA (or any integrated course I suspect?). If you did already hold one, then you may have been able to negotiate with your examiner to sign off a renewal during a normal check ride - alternatively you could cough up for a separate renewal flight with an examiner.