PDA

View Full Version : SHAR - Sidewinder launch

PX927
10th Oct 2010, 07:18
Apologies if this is a dumb question ....

If a Sea Harrier is carrying sidewinders (9G or 9L), what are the factors that determine which missile is launched first (port or starboard side)? If it is based on target position, how is the launch impacted, if at all, when only 1 missile is present and the target is on the "wrong" side? Does the target have to be in the weapons sight for an AIM-9L (given it is an all-aspect missile) or is it sufficient to have the aircraft nose pointed in the general direction of the target?

I am assuming the pilot simply selects the weapon and the weapons system chooses which missile to fire.

Any help or directions to further info much appreciated. Thanks

Double Zero
11th Oct 2010, 12:03
If one get's 'tone' from a Sea Harrier Sidewinder, I'd have thought just press the 'tit' and whichever side is welcome to it !

Though I don't think at all selectable in action, the firing order was preset.

With more modern aircraft and SMS Stores Management Sstems, I'm pretty sure the computer would select the 'best' side missile to fire, be it for asymmetric weapons carriage, or with helmet mounted sights and off boresight missiles, I'd think there are times when one side is better.

It would be preferable not to have the thing go close across one's intakes too...

Stand to be corrected, I only filmed such things ( inc SMS ) at test ranges, not in anger.