PDA

View Full Version : Regional Aviation Group

FOCX
9th Oct 2010, 00:47
I'm interested in a change and saw the above looking for crew, I vaguely recall negative comments about them so I did a search and nothing in particular came up, just a bunch of unrelated threads.

Can anyone give some brief comment on them as an employer or direct me to threads that deal with them?

Thanks in advance!

mustman
9th Oct 2010, 05:58
I too am interested. For those who havnt seen the ad its for Pt Nayman Air in Indo. Asking for Twin Otter Captains and FOs.

troppo
9th Oct 2010, 09:31
Whilst I have never worked for them and I stand to be corrected, depending on your current situation, I would regard them as an employer of choice. Borne out of KSS Transport in lae nearly 20 years ago they are still around in multiple countries. Yes some places have not worked for them but that is business. As a young cpl in png I personally aspired to work for them. Every company has their knockers but for a DHC6 job I would rate them for variety, experience, hours and value to your career in the same way Talair (defunct), hevilift, solair, pacific sun, sun air etc have placed dedicated pilots in a position to move onto jets with most of the respected carriers in the world. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Why people ask career related decisions on here is beyond me. What you make out of life and career decisions is entirely up to the you and what you want out of life and your career. There are far too many sour grapes and politics here for anyone to make life decisions based upon 'feed back' from your 'peers'. Before the internet came along people got in planes and sought thier own decisions.
Edited for spelling even tho mipela spak to mas

PropDuster
10th Oct 2010, 01:42
Well put troppo

Is this the same operation as the defunct Regional Pacific.
At one time they operated the Dash-6 on Horn Island and up until recently the Braz out of Cairns??

FOCX
10th Oct 2010, 06:55
Troppo, I not asking a career relating question. I don't need any extra experience for an airline, I've got all I need having worked for three. I'm looking at going back and was looking for info on what they are like as an employer, their website paints them as very employee friendly, however as we all know a lot of the time things can be quite different.

I'm not looking for an employee who is going to be a low payer because they're giving you experience for an airline job, I'm looking for a sound company that pays above average with the ability of doing tours and has a professional operation and attitude. That's the sort of info I'm chasing, I don't know who Pacific Regional is or was. I don't wish to give up my present employment to suck and see.

Waghi Warrior
10th Oct 2010, 09:13
FOXC.
Don't believe all the BS you see on this website.
My opinions on the Regional Aviation Group:

Good money

Good aircraft

Good conditions

Good two crew procedures

Good clients

Good mixture of flying,different bases and contracts

Very high standards,and by far the number 1 GA company in PNG.

Most young guys that go through this company end up in airlines.

Last but not least the Chief Pilot is a top bloke.

I assume the advertised positions will initially come under the PNg umbrella as that's where their core business is operated from.

Hope this helps.

FOCX
10th Oct 2010, 09:37
WW,

Thanks a heap, exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Best regards

Waghi Warrior
11th Oct 2010, 13:04
No problems,could be interesting times ahead for these guys.
Either way the job situation in PNG is on the improve with all the LNG project development going on.

triadic
12th Oct 2010, 23:06
Regional Pacific Airlines is no longer part of the Regional Aviation Group.

The Regional Aviation Group, based in CNS, own/control Flightline Services (Maintenance) in CNS and Hevilift in PNG and other locations under various names.

Both FW and RW operations are good and FW CP as mentioned above is one of the best in the business. The Otters are well equipped with the latest avionics and moving maps etc.

Ricky Bobby
14th Oct 2010, 06:45
I wouldn't go that far triadic, APNG twin otters are much better equipped with Garmin 430's and HSI's for the f/o and synthetic vision upgrade to come. Hevilift twin otters I've seen still have the single Trimble 2000.

Second your point on the FW CP.

Waghi Warrior
14th Oct 2010, 08:42
Ricky I agree,however training and good SOP's and strict adherance to them are important.
An operator can spend mega bucks on a machine and put all the good gear in it,put at the end of the day this gear isn't going to prevent a prang. It's the nut behind the bolt that counts.

Observing some of the stuff APNG do around the place really makes me wonder, ie cruise at FL210 when the QNH is below 1013 ?

Ricky Bobby
14th Oct 2010, 09:15
Agreed on that point WW :ok:

Hevilift CP & DCP run the tightest GA operation around, I'd love to find a company with better C & T.

The F210 thing makes me scratch my head also :confused:

triadic
14th Oct 2010, 15:03
I wouldn't go that far triadic, APNG twin otters are much better equipped with Garmin 430's and HSI's for the f/o and synthetic vision upgrade to come. Hevilift twin otters I've seen still have the single Trimble 2000.

Not the one I flew in. Dual 430's plus moving map with Terrain.

Waghi Warrior
14th Oct 2010, 22:25
Off the topic a bit. I just hope APNG don't expect their crews to use the enhanced terrain equipment the wrong way if jou get the drift.

I also see that Tropic Air now have a Super King Air..

Iknowboats
15th Oct 2010, 00:12
Anyone know what the touring roster is for these positions? Is it 4 on 4 off?

norwester33
16th Oct 2010, 19:08
Is there any other companies that offer flyin/flyout jobs?.
Also any indication of pay for the first officer on the twotter?.

Cheers

Waghi Warrior
16th Oct 2010, 21:52
Tour F0's jobs don't exist although some people like to think they do,10 weeks on 2 off and having to travel in your own time doesn't cut it.
I'm sue these guys would rotate most crews through Indo and use them on other projects as well.

Killer Loop
16th Oct 2010, 22:35
Hevilift FO's kind of tour out of PNG. They do 3 months on, 1 month off with all flights paid for by the company, (Aussie/NZ bases only generally). Thats the same as 6/2 tours which other people do in other industries such as mining. I'm pretty sure a Hevilift FO is on AU$50,000+ (plus some allowances). Would second or third what people have said about their CP, best in the business.

geeup
17th Oct 2010, 08:43
What are the otters doing at FL210? :ooh:
Yeah yeah :} I know its the Dash8s but they are run separate to the otters in regards to SOPs and training I thought?
How close is Hevilift to the Indo contract? Thought you have to use national employees over that way?
Negative comments about Regional are from either chopper driver or washed up people (probably me:O)
Joking as I'm thinking of getting a tattoo of a squashed banana :8
Its a good group apply and good luck.

dik cheney
11th Nov 2010, 09:59
Has anyone who applied heard anything back yet?