PDA

View Full Version : Can't download PDF Doc's

niknak
8th Oct 2010, 19:36
I have a fairly old (4 years) Acer Aspire 5315 laptop, Windows Vista with a 32 bit operating system.
For some reason I cannot download or open PDF Docs.
I have Adobe 9, have removed it and reloaded it via Adobe and FileHippo but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I don't mind spending a few quid to put things right, but if that is a solution, am I throwing good money after bad or would I be better off in investing in a new piece of kit?

Thanks in advance.

vulcanised
8th Oct 2010, 19:44
Try the free Foxit. It's fast and you can add comments to the pdf.

Foxit Software - Foxit Reader for Windows (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/)

Tarq57
8th Oct 2010, 21:33
The inability to download files is curious.
Can you download and save other file types?
If you attempt to download and save a .pdf, will it download?

BOAC
9th Oct 2010, 07:08
As fas as I am aware, you do not need any 'pdf' programme to DOWNLOAD a pdf. What actually happens when you click on a PDF download link? Which browser?

Capetonian
9th Oct 2010, 07:33
I sometimes findthat if I try to open or view a .pdf it doesn't work. But if I save it and then try to view it, it works. Don't know why. I use Firefox.

niknak
9th Oct 2010, 12:15
Thanks Vulcanised, the Foxit software seems to have done the trick.

Even if I previously saved the PDF doc' I couldn't open it and I got an error message saying "Win32 is not a valid application", which made me wonder if there was an Adobe application for my 32 bit laptop.

Anyway, Foxit seems to have cured the problem.

Thanks everyone.:ok:

BOAC
9th Oct 2010, 13:01
Are you saying Foxit has cured the "I cannot download" problem then?

Mr Optimistic
9th Oct 2010, 13:28
If you go into windows explorer, then tools, then file types and scroll down the list of extensions to pdf, which application is listed ?

BOAC
9th Oct 2010, 13:55
It will be Foxit now!

Loose rivets
9th Oct 2010, 14:58
From the above link:

Try Foxit Reader for Windows FREE

This usually means a trial version - which I avoid because of the detritus left behind when time's up.

If not the case, how long does it last?

BOAC
9th Oct 2010, 15:06
About as long as a piece of string...........................:O

Mr Optimistic
9th Oct 2010, 15:13
Think I would just download adobe 9.1 again and have another go just to understand it, but Foxit reader looks free sine die.

Foxit Software - Technical FAQ (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/support/showfaq_technical.htm#rdr_02)

vulcanised
9th Oct 2010, 16:54
That's my expression there, Loose. It's been on my computer for some years. foc, so if it is a trial period it's a very long one.

niknak
10th Oct 2010, 17:44
There appear to be two versions of Foxit, one is free and very basic but good enough for my needs, the other costs and claims to do all sorts of things, whether it does or not I've no idea.