PDA

View Full Version : JAA class 1 in America

Clintonb
8th Oct 2010, 18:13
i found 3 places texas, Florida and Arizona i cant get a hold of the one in florida nor in texas but in Arizona i was able and the lady tells me they only renew JAA medicals so can anyone tell me if i can obtain my JAA class 1 medical in Texas or Florida or are they also just allowed to do renewals????
Thanks for the info

mcgoo
8th Oct 2010, 18:16
They cannot do an initial class 1, only renewals.

SA Brit
8th Oct 2010, 22:10
The initial medical examination must be done at the UK CAA Aeromedical Centre (AMC) at Gatwick (see address below). The whole examination takes half a day. The cost can be seen on our current scheme of charges and is payable in advance.
Initial JAR Class 1 (Professional Pilot) Medical Examination | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527)

Medical Department
CAA Safety Regulation Group
Aviation House
Gatwick Airport South
West Sussex RH6 0YR

Clintonb
8th Oct 2010, 22:24
thanks you guys that just saved me a plane ride for nothing. Have a great weekend

Clintonb
10th Oct 2010, 21:47
Just quickly JAA is a european license so i should be able to get a JAA class 1 medical anywhere in europe except for the countries that aren't part of the EU like Switzerland. RIGHT? how come is gatwick the only one in england?? im planning on going to get my class 1 in spain

Whirlygig
10th Oct 2010, 21:54
RIGHT? how come is gatwick the only one in england??Because England/UK is not the same as Europe?

Cheers

Whirls

BigGrecian
10th Oct 2010, 22:49
There's no point in asking why Gatwick is the only one. It just is, and we have to accept that. It is to stop the local Dr letting people slip through, a way of controlling standards and many other JAA states do the same.

Remember Clinton - JAA does not exist anymore and the JAA never issued a single licence. The individual countries issued JAA compliant licences, which also conformed to their normally slightly higher standards.

If you get a Spanish JAR class 1 medical you will have to convert it to get a UK JAA CPL issued etc. Every now and again there are periods where they will not accept certain countries medicals due to deficiencies. ( What's New What's New | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=87) ) In the past year they have not accepted Lithuanian, French and German due to various issues, so just be aware there is always that possibility. However you can convert it via:

How to obtain a UK JAR Licence if you hold a non-UK medical certificate/licence | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=2576)

Also please note this should have been posted in the medical forum - I am guessing it will get moved shortly.

Also your still way ahead of yourself - get the medical before you even have one other thought about where to do your flight training.
It's always the ones who say they won't have a problem who fail the medical in my experience - so get on it.

Clintonb
11th Oct 2010, 03:01
ok so get it done in the UK to be safe and that medical will be accepted anywhere in europe and the world i hope. right time to call england and book an appointment.
Thanks for your advice guys.

Clintonb
11th Oct 2010, 04:55
i tend to do my training in the US getting my JAA licenses in the states adn doing my IR in europe.