PDA

View Full Version : Airlines Exposed

TSR2
7th Oct 2010, 20:11
Next Thursday 14th October, the BBC programme 'Watchdog' are to name and shame the airlines who have still to compensate passengers caught up in the wake of the volcanic ash fiasco in April.

Should make interesting viewing.

derelicte
7th Oct 2010, 21:31
Does one begin with an 'R'?

Mr.Bloggs
7th Oct 2010, 21:31
Yawnsville :E

dwshimoda
8th Oct 2010, 11:37
Yawnsville

Obviously you aren't affected, but my parents-in-law have been trying unsuccessfully to get a small amount of money from Easyjet (less than £300) for the extra 7 days they were in Cyprus, and the return flights they never used. They are not trying to screw the system, and aren't even claiming for the cost of the flights on a different carrier they used because EZ were going to leave them there for another 2 weeks.

EZ don't answer the phone (that they charge 10p per minute for) don't answer emails, and don't reply to snail mail - even sent by recorded delivery.

So unless you have some magic answer, stick your ill thought out, irrelevant comment somewhere else. At least try and add something useful to a forum, or but out.

At least Watchdog may shame some of these companies into doing what they should.

pwalhx
8th Oct 2010, 13:23
Whlst sympathetic to the previous poster and agree they should have had some satisfaction.

My problem is what we want is a fair and balanced critique of what problems there may have been, what I expect is the complete opposite which does no one any service.

mickyman
8th Oct 2010, 14:23
Ah....takes me back to when Panorama 'caught out' MOL and found
out that THEY looked pathetic and could'nt really nail anything on
him.....walking away from the encounter rather sheepishly!

Good luck to all claiments.

MM

Capetonian
8th Oct 2010, 14:32
Much as I loathe Ryanair, I thought that Panorama interview made MoL look like a friendly Uncle and the interviewer like a complete tosser.

I can't speak for other LCCs as I have never had to claim from any others, but when my EZY flight was cancelled due to the ashcloud I thought the claim and refund process was exemplary. I may have been luckier than some.

racedo
8th Oct 2010, 14:46
They are not trying to screw the system, and aren't even claiming for the cost of the flights on a different carrier they used because EZ were going to leave them there for another 2 weeks.

Funnily enough friends with 2 young school kids stuck in Spain recently because of ATC cancelled flight, then rebooked on flights for strike day and then told they could get a flight on Oct 5th as earliest day, got told by call centre they could book flights with another airline and Easyjet would pay which they did but now Easyjet telling them that was never said to them and they £1000 out.

I have suggested requesting a transcript of call but not hopeful for them and trust me they struggled enough to get to family wedding.

WillingPilot
9th Oct 2010, 14:00
I can't wait for this.

crewmeal
9th Oct 2010, 15:59
Watchdog exposed bmibaby again on Thursday. This time it was about charging infants more than adults and not even having a seat. Are there no bounds to bmibaby's deceipt?

clipstone1
9th Oct 2010, 16:09
FR tried the infant being twice the price of an adult 4 years ago, jut noticed it before clicking book and went back and booked seats for all at lower cost, so its not just bmibaby

thebeehive
9th Oct 2010, 21:43
Good, expose those airlines :ok:

iwhak
10th Oct 2010, 09:33
Personally I think EU261 is a crazy over burden of responsibility on airlines to compensate passengers, which was highlighted to its extreme during the volanic ash. Having said that, most airlines complied and compensated passengers in a timely manner in accordance with the regulations, and for some it created severe cashflow issues. Those airlines that strageically decided to obviate their responsibilities and repay over a considerable lenght of time have used the regs to create unfair competition over those that adhered. If Europe has any teeth it will impose rigorous sanctions against the offenders who gained unfair advantage. Hopefully a similar incident will not happen again, but if it did why would any airline pay up on time. Aside from compensation EU needs to radically overhaul 261.