PDA

View Full Version : Msc or MBA –for nil aviation experience

bala_murali
7th Oct 2010, 13:13
Hi there guys :):)
Would like to know what is the difference between Msc in Air Transport management and MBA in aviation management?:hmm::hmm:
I have got a offer letter from Griffith university in Australia for MBA in aviation management( Griffith University | Graduate Certificate in Aviation Management - Nathan (http://www17.griffith.edu.au/cis/p_cat/admission.asp?type=overview&ProgCode=3112) )
and Buckinghamshire new university in UK for Msc in air transport management for this January batch?(Air Transport Management (http://bucks.ac.uk/default.aspx?page=10036) )

I have done my bachelors degree in electrical and electronics and have worked in dell computers for 2 years as a senior hardware technical support executive. 60 percent of the people have told me that doing these masters degree in a waste of time and the rest 40 % told me that I is a very good way to enter the industry, especially for a person with no aviation experience like me . :sad:
From what I come to know, nothing in aviation is 100 % sure. So I am willing to take the chance. Flight operation is what I am mainly interested in! But yes if I don’t get through that I can work in other field also .I take these master degrees as an entry ticket to the aviation industry.
So guys I would like your views on both of the MBA and MSc . I will help me make a good decision. Thanks a million for your time :ok::ok::ok:

Groundloop
7th Oct 2010, 13:24
Flight operation is what I am mainly interested in!

Flight Ops don't appear to be covered at all in that New Bucks course (except maybe a tiny bit in whatever "Aviation Industry Operations" means)!

Trolle
7th Oct 2010, 13:42
Not that you asked, but I will state that both degrees are useless in aviation but also a way to get in. Why? Useless because any relevant MSc. or MBA will give you the necessary education to work for an airline. A way to get in because you may just get a slight advantage over another candidate or have a network of people in the industry after graduating.

The difference between the 2 are slight. MSc. is often more theoretical while an MBA is more practical-oriented. However, in the field of aviation I think the differences are slight compared to other fields.

If you are interested in operations then why not consider a logistical operations degree? These are often offered at business schools which focus on the business and strategy side of things, or at technical schools where they are more operationally analytical.

I always advise people to get a more generic graduate degree with a focus on aviation. If aviation is in the dumps when you graduate your competitive advantage outside the field of aviation drops.

I teach logistics at a business school. Have flown for an airline. Worked in operations for an airline, and worked in management and strategy for an airline. A degree will often get you to the interview while what you know and how you work will let you keep the job.

Overall though, regardless of which degree you choose, furthering your education is always a plus.

PS: Nice picture via the link to Bucks New University of a topless guy and a bunch of students at a concert maybe. Not so assuring of the quality of education (although I know I shouldn't be judging a school by 1 picture :oh:)

bala_murali
7th Oct 2010, 13:50
Hi there ground loop . Did you do this degree in bucks new yourself ?? would love some feedback regarding the college.