PDA

View Full Version : Skyrover Helicopter from the early 70's?

Brilliant Stuff
6th Oct 2010, 18:16
At the Frank Robinson Lecture a helicopter was mentioned which was called a Skyrover which was a collaboration between an aviation company and Rover.

Anyone know of any more details or even a picture?

Dave_Jackson
6th Oct 2010, 21:19
Could one of these be the Skyrover?

http://davesdailydose.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/skyrover.jpg

http://www.grough.co.uk/lib/img/editorial/northumberlandlandrover.jpg

:)

Benet
7th Oct 2010, 16:22
Can you remember who asked the question?

I created a Wikipedia article with everything I could find - it's a good way of attracting further contributions. We might even find someone who was involved on the project...

Sky Rover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Rover)

I'll delete the article in due course if it fails to get airborne. One shouldn't create articles on potentially non-existent subjects.

Benet

ShyTorque
7th Oct 2010, 18:21
It was a dog to fly.

Hummingfrog
7th Oct 2010, 19:45
You had to be careful doing rotors running refuels as it had a tendency to go "woooooof";)

HF

Brilliant Stuff
8th Oct 2010, 09:59
Now that made me laugh, thanks chaps.

Sadly I don't remember if the chap gave his name, I can tell you where he was sitting but that's all.
He wasn't the Tiltrotor test pilot or one of the R44 owners.

I spoke to my mate and he remembered that it was by a small Gasturbine with 160hp which was why the chap raised it.

lotusexige
8th Oct 2010, 13:18
The 160 bhp turbine would suggest a possible Rover connection. They did quite a lot of experimenting with gas turbines for cars includeing running their engine in a BRM chassais at Le Mans. The somewhat wierd looking front supension layout in the Rover 2000 was said to have been to allow space for a future gas turbine version.

Brilliant Stuff
8th Oct 2010, 15:24
Rover were working in collaboration with an aviation company so much I do remember but we can not remember the name of the aviation company or the engine manufacturer except they might have started with the letter A..

sycamore
8th Oct 2010, 16:02
B-S, a little googling shows that Rover made a turbo jet for a UAV in conjunction with Alvis,the TJ125;they also produced the TP60 and TP90, I think the TP60 was flown in a `Currie Wot`, the TP90 in a Chipmunk. I think also the airfield was Shoreham, which may lead to Ricardo..

AnFI
8th Oct 2010, 17:32
Auster.
I think there is one in the science museum, London, England.

The chap was interesting I would like to know who he was too...

... he did say something along the lines that Lucas Aerospace (if they still exist) own the rights to the engine and appeared to be suggesting that it might be viable....

[unlikely - regulation element too expensive in UK (Europe?)]

heli1
9th Oct 2010, 14:57
Try looking up the Westland WG 33.........

Brilliant Stuff
9th Oct 2010, 18:26
This was meant to look not to dissimilar to the R22 the chap said so not like the WG33.

Benet
23rd Oct 2010, 18:03
... in the absence of any concrete information, I've marked the Wikipedia article for deletion. Thanks for the humour though, chaps.

No puns about a waggly tail rotor yet, though :)

Brilliant Stuff
23rd Oct 2010, 18:25
Cheers chap.