PDA

View Full Version : The Myth of finding a flying job on the INTERNET

DC3freightdog
6th Oct 2010, 17:00
In this post I like to share my experience applying for a flying job with you. It may help you with your job hunt and understand a little the Internet job offers. With 5000+ hours and an ATP I am a more mature aviator and thought it would be easy to find a new aviation challenge. WRONG Over the last 7 month I sent out more than 500 applications. Nearly 10% immediately bounced back as undeliverable. On email came back saying “we do not accept applications on this e mail please go to the company home page”. Does the forum supervisor or web master not check jobs and the emails associated with the application? Many jobs are posted at different forums and web sites at the same time. You sent out 5 applications and it is in real only one job which was filled 15 month ago. For example Blackwater AKA Presidential Airway has many “openings” However I applied 2 times and never got an answer. Not even a rejection. Many job offerings on the internet are just outdated and the webmaster is keeping them online to boost his numbers. Thats a shame because a pilot will associate your forum after a while with a lack of professionalism. Please share your personal application experience that we all can learn or laugh. Fly safe Bernhard

Uncle Wiggily
6th Oct 2010, 18:16
It's all about getting high volumes of traffic and hits on a particular website, i.e. conversion rate. If a person is looking for ajob and then sees an ad for some cheap aviator sunglasses and clicks on that link and then actually buys some sunglasses then the website that "directed" traffic to the sunglasses site recieves money. Who cares if somebody actually gets a job. Get the people in the door and maybe they will click on some other advertisement. There are still sites that charge a monthly subscription fee, but if you know anything by now then you will have noticed that 75 percent of the advertised jobs are for 3 or 4 big recruitment firms: Parc, Rishworth, Wynnwith, etc. Honestly, it is only a matter of time until some of these sites put up pics of nude models to draw more people to the website.

Bruce Wayne
7th Oct 2010, 07:12
it is only a matter of time until some of these sites put up pics of nude models to draw more people to the website.

aside from a flight deck position, what could be of more interest to a grounded pilot ?

DC3freightdog
7th Oct 2010, 13:49
Let me clarify my first post a little. "500 applications" The precise sample size N was 512 applications. These were mainly application for pilot, flight instructor positions and also for aviation management and maintenance positions world wide including the Middle East. I received 25 replies. On post card informed me that my CV is on file. 3 emails stating my CV is on file and the rest of the email stated that the position was already filled. If you are a pilot it is good to have a second or third profession to get cookies on the table.