PDA

View Full Version : BA Cityflyer Recruiting

Pages : [1] 2

zerograv
6th Oct 2010, 11:43
Hi there!!!

Just came up in Flight.

Captains and First Officers - 1400979461 - Flight Jobs (http://www.flightglobal.com/jobs/job/captains-and-first-officers-united-kingdom-1400979461.htm)

All the best to everyone having a go at it!!!

Cheers,
Zero

John Alcock
6th Oct 2010, 12:06
Zero,

That link takes me to the BACF home page, and there's only one vacancy listed, non-flying.

Any ideas?

zerograv
6th Oct 2010, 12:18
Indeed, what is in Flight is not listed in their jobs page.

Might come up in the coming days, me thinks .... :)

Safe flights,
Zero

norton2005
6th Oct 2010, 12:51
Yep me too, nothing showing at the moment, I guess wait a few days and hopefully should come up then, deadline is not till end of the month anyway!

bfisk
6th Oct 2010, 13:00
• A valid UK or JAA ATPL(A) (Frozen for FO positions);
• A valid Instrument Rating;
• Performance Class A;
• MCC Certificate (or be MCC Exempt);
• A valid Class One Medical;
• The legal right to live and work in the UK; and,
• The ability to gain a satisfactory Criminal Records Check to hold an airside security pass

How does one have performance class A? Does it mean have knowledge of perf A, have additional courses in perf A or a type rating on a perf A operated aircraft? :bored:

Edit: anyone knows if it's commutable?

Serenity
6th Oct 2010, 13:01
Just checked, it's definitely there!!
Type rating on the E jet an advantage!!

Hmm, I wonder which regional uk E jet operator has lots of fed up crews looking for better t&c???
:confused:

maxalphaboy
6th Oct 2010, 13:27
Me too,

I cant find anything on there Website and the link goes to the main flightglobal page?

MAB :ok:

Coffin Corner
6th Oct 2010, 13:44
So has anyone got a credible link?

Thanks

CC

RJ100
6th Oct 2010, 13:59
Just checked the link... looking on the flight website I can not see any jobs advertised for BA Cityflyer.
Maybe it was posted in error i.e. too early.........

RJ.

:O Update..... I have been in touch with the powers at the Towers and I'd keep a close eye on the BA Cityflyer Jobs website. Numbers required will fill a few new shinny Embraer jets when options taken.

zerograv
6th Oct 2010, 14:00
There was an advert in Flight which was posted today at around 11:59 AM.

Now it's no longer there. :O May be they removed the advertisement.

Lets hope that it comes up again shortly.

Cheers,
Zero

Heliskier
6th Oct 2010, 14:22
Hey zero, I saw the ad too but no mention of it on their website and like others are saying the link just took you back to Flight Global's main jobs page. Hopefully they will open it properly soon.

sickBocks
6th Oct 2010, 17:40
bfisk - pre-JAR ATPLs, Perf A was a separate exam in addition to the national ATPL theory exams. JAR Performance covers all the old Perf A stuff.

Serenity
6th Oct 2010, 17:42
Ad was definately there on flight jobs page, just next to mainline.
It is now gone, as others have said maybe it was posted too early in error!!
Guess just watch this space.....

PAPI-74
6th Oct 2010, 17:56
It's on the IPA website.
I guess we just wait........

6th Oct 2010, 19:01
PPJN gives Capt starting salary as £57k but is unclear if that data is from Mar 2010 or Oct 2008.

Can anyone verify ?

RJ100
6th Oct 2010, 19:32
That was the pay data after our last pay deal in 2008. Up until this week they were the scales we were using.

We have just agreed (this week) to a 2% pay deal that will be back dated until July 1st 2010. So add 2% onto those scales and you'll get our new scales.

We also took a pay freeze in July 2009 until July 2010 on our yearly increment . So basically we did not move up the scales for a year.

Pay is Poor, Moral is at an all time low...... shall I go on?

RJ.

MaxReheat
6th Oct 2010, 20:54
'Hmm, I wonder which regional uk E jet operator has lots of fed up crews looking for better t&c???'

That pay is nothing short of diabolical! The UK ejet operator won't be losing anyone at that rate, only a smidgen more than they are paying their turbo drivers!

Tandemrotor
6th Oct 2010, 21:36
Moral is at an all time low

Would that be anything to do with the management by any chance?? :rolleyes:

BarbiesBoyfriend
6th Oct 2010, 22:00
I stand ready to be corrected but I think BA Cityflyer are the worst paying E-jet operator in the world.

Anyone with an E-jet rating who is out of work might well be interested but I do not think the FlyBe guys will be beating the door down.

They are also the lowest paying airline in London.

I've been told that the folk flying their E-jets into LCY with Lufty paint on the tail are paid about twice as much as the mugs at City Flyer. Is that correct?

tdk90
6th Oct 2010, 22:42
Couple of general questions:

What kind of trips, all day trips or any overnights?

Is LCY a senior base? How long to get in there?

Have they taken DEC without type rating before, assuming current and experienced on similar size JAR25 ac?

What's the schedule like for a new hire?

As for worst paying E-Jet operator in the world, I think you'll find that honor belongs on the other side of the pond...

BarbiesBoyfriend
6th Oct 2010, 23:37
tdk

Trips? Plenty. Some up to six days away. There are day trips but touring is normal. If hired, expect to be away, quite a bit.

LCY senior.... Well, initially there was only the EDI base. Then LCY base was added. Now, progress/ promotion in EDI is not happening. All new hires will prolly be at LCY. As no doubt will most departures....Morale is poor with many hoping to get out. Hard to see how leavers could find a job paying less.

Many of the senior line pilots are at EDI.

Have they taken DEC? Yes.

What's the schedule for a newbie? Same as an oldie. Expect to work. Hard.

Worst paying etc....Yep, but I think you'll find that an E-jet pilot in say, China, while paid less than BACF is still a rich man in China.

Whereas his better paid pilot friend in London...............:hmm:

tdk90
6th Oct 2010, 23:39
Thanks BB..DECs?

BarbiesBoyfriend
6th Oct 2010, 23:44
tdk, yup! see edit above, thanks.

Really it's not too bad if you like flying but the pay could be better and the time off more plentiful.

I like it, but it could improve!:)

tdk90
7th Oct 2010, 00:05
Thanks..sounds similar to where I'm at now..just trying to get a little closer to home :)

ATP_Al
7th Oct 2010, 09:47
Quick question for anyone in the know at BACF:

The ad on the IPA website says 1000hrs multi crew jet PIC for DECs. Do we think they'll get many applicants with that kind of experience for the terms they're offering, or will turboprop captains with no jet time (ie me!) get a look in?

Deep and fast
7th Oct 2010, 16:10
Just had a conversation with HR, and apparently it was an error. :{

D and F :8

justanotherstat
7th Oct 2010, 16:16
From an internal source: Once the last E190 G-LCYN is delivered in three weeks, Big BA will make a decision on the two options. If they decide to buy, they will recruit, using the quickly withdrawn advertisement.

PAPI-74
7th Oct 2010, 16:18
Funny - I heard the same thing today;)

fade to grey
9th Oct 2010, 09:42
ATP AL,
I don't think they will have a problem sadly in the current marketplace.
Quite fancy a return to shorthaul myself...

DutchBird-757
9th Oct 2010, 12:13
@ BB. You are right about the Lufti guys. Plus, I believe, the are also on the mainline lufti seniority list.

Incl the new paydeal our pay is rumored to still be 7% below the Flybe Dash guys. We're also lowest paid jet pilots in the UK. (comparing similar operations)

The f/o's in the holdpool have been told to expect an announcement about their future before years end. (rumor mill)

Lord Molton Brown
11th Oct 2010, 14:54
Hey BB,

How nice to see you making a contribution here once more! I must say when I bumped into you a few weeks ago in EDI, you looked well on your Cityflyer lifestlye, but just think of the fun you could have had, without all the stress if you had stayed with Europe's No1 Regional Airline! ;)

Hey ho, old fruit!

Lord MB.

Atreyu
11th Oct 2010, 16:45
BB,

"Yep, but I think you'll find that an E-jet pilot in say, China, while paid less than BACF is still a rich man in China"

That should be the company motto :E

Shrimps
11th Oct 2010, 16:56
The ad was in the print edition of FI; though still nothing on the BACF jobs website. :confused:

Atreyu
11th Oct 2010, 17:10
It sounds like it was in error to be honest

binsleepen
12th Oct 2010, 10:46
Hi,

Ad on their website too for Fo and DEC.

Regards

RJ_Rantster
12th Oct 2010, 11:21
"Remuneration : Competitive including airline benefits." - Competitive with what? A flying instructor?

"...will include an element of touring around Europe." - So an element of touring is 15 nights away per month!

I appreciate if you're out of work and need to pay the bills you're going to apply and good luck but dear help anyone that gets in!

Mikebert4
12th Oct 2010, 14:23
Integrated = Old mentality. How so?

I'm not asking to aggravate, it's only I thought there was a fairly solid argument that an Integrated course produces a different kind of Pilot - and possibly this is more what BACF are looking for?

Vone Rotate
12th Oct 2010, 14:28
Yes they are special alright!!!:yuk:

Point proved nicely Mikebert4:D

Atreyu
12th Oct 2010, 14:30
Well is the application asking if you have done an integrated course, or is it a requirement?

Atreyu:ok:

152wiseguy
12th Oct 2010, 15:26
Asking a pilot with thousands of hours which flying school he went to is a bit like asking a post-graduate where he went to primary school. :D :ugh:

Crosswind Limits
12th Oct 2010, 16:06
The integrated course question is firmly aimed at 200 hour gonnabes! ;)

It makes no difference in all honesty! :ok:

CaptainProp
12th Oct 2010, 16:32
So are people rushing to send in application for DEC with a starting pay (ppjn.com) of 57K?! :eek:

Coffin Corner
12th Oct 2010, 17:08
Also I don't really get their minimum hours stipulation, for DEC - 3000hrs with a least 1000hrs on commercial jet aircraft. Who's going to get a jet command with 2,000hrs TT? Not many surely.

dhc83driver
12th Oct 2010, 17:41
you have to set some sort of starting criteria, 3000hrs and 1000hrs is the minimum.

57K starting is better than being unemployed! I suspect there may be a few applicants with lots of hours who want to stay in the uk. They may not stay for years and years but they will fill the current requirements.

As for F/O there may be some of the old Cityflyer cadets taken on not sure how many are still in the hold pool.

I guess there is a good chance we are getting two more EJETS then!

As for the integrated course question, well past experience has shown that low hour F/o`s from an integrated course have done well with the training. (in fact some now have the 3000hrs with 1000hrs jet command) If you have 10,000 hrs jet command time from doing the old self improver route then i`m sure you won`t take the question personally!

Coffin Corner
12th Oct 2010, 18:04
Appreciate you need a starting criteria, all I am saying is that there must be very, very few candidates who would have gained a jet command at 2,000TT that is eligible, hence the starting criteria seems a little unrealistic. But hey does it matter? Naaa.

Anyway back to the main topic, is the roster commutable? How easy is it to get to LCY? (not very I'd imagine). What's the time to command on average? Is it a good place to work?

Thanks

CC

dhc83driver
12th Oct 2010, 18:30
we have many commuters, train links very good with LCY`s own DLR station. Driving from the north M25, M11, north Circular etc, from the south its a bit more time consuming dartford crossing then A13 or blackwall tunnel or the ferry. but all very doable. Lots of tours if you want them. As a guide 20-30 mins from M25.

Time to command variable, Lots of cadets with not quite enough hours for command but cityflyer has been expanding since it was created. Small company so friendly place to work. Flying out of LCY is always different and keeps the job interesting. Good chance of some new routes. Money not the best in the industry but ba staff travel is good. Staff car park 5 mins walk to the office.

Coffin Corner
12th Oct 2010, 18:52
Thanks dhc83driver.

I maybe relocating to the West Country soon, (or Birmingham) so would be approaching from the West or NW. Do you know how long public transport would take from say the M4 side of London to LCY? Or is it easier to drive?

When expansion is complete and it becomes a "closed shop" what is the likely time to command then? Is it still reasonable because of the poorish pay for captains?

What is a typical year one F/O take home pay with per diems etc per month?

Regarding LCY steep approach, I would assume it is always a captain's only landing there is that correct?

Sorry for the 20 questions, there isn't much info on the net (PPJN is out of date) etc. I am in a secure job and need the picture to fit before I think about jumping ship.

Thanks again

CC

dhc83driver
12th Oct 2010, 20:24
I used to allow 3hrs driving from Brum, most reports are early / lunchtime so you miss the worst of the traffic. As with all things you will get the odd 9am rush hour report with traffic!. From the M40 juction on M25 it will take 1h to 1h30 to LCY. There are a few routes to take to avoid the M25 depending on time of day.

LHR t5 to LCY on the tube is about 1h 40. You would have to try your route dependent on which main london station you arrive at. I`m sure people on here can give you accurate times.

LCY is capt only landing. We fly monitored approaches so F/o will fly the approach for the captains landing.

Time to command is hard to predict. Depends on experience, performance and company requirements. If things pick up we could loose a fair number of F/O`s to the sandpit. Seniority plays a part as well and its all looked at by the Pilot review board.

As with all company's it has its little annoying things, Lunch time crew food being one atm!.

Small friendly company with a few perks like BA staff travel. Please note there is no route across to BA Mainline apart from there normal application process. You do get all BA perks in terms of discounts etc.

LCY flying always interesting with some charter work thrown in to do something different, Nice to have a brand new fleet of nice aircraft. BALPA recognised company with a hard working company council with a good relationship with management. Decent scheduling agreement that means if you agree to be mucked about you will be paid for it.

Not sure of the current F/O pay scale, we have just had a small pay rise.

FDP £1.90 /hour

Tubbs
12th Oct 2010, 21:28
Anyone else find the application confusing? I counted three sections asking roughly the same questions in subtly different ways regarding types/hours. Does the company really need such a complicated breakdown of hours? It makes my head ache.

757_Driver
12th Oct 2010, 22:04
Anyone got any details on the typical lifestyle for an FO?

Take home pay?
No of days off per month?
No of tours / overnights - or a mix of 1 day duties and tours?
Random rostering or some form of bid / preference system?
Leave? available generally on requested dates or assigned to junior guys?
Any information would be welcome really.

Thanks

DHC6to8
12th Oct 2010, 22:05
Hi lads... I am shocked and surprised at the ingenuity built into the application process.... you need to register yourself with the company before you can apply! And... guess what, you need a valid National Insurance Number.... is that only for UK residents or passport holders?? Coudl somebody please explain this little trip up of info? Is CityFlyer trying to seriously limit the applications to nationals of the UK?? What about the rest of the EU Empire? The licence requirements even stipulate that you can apply with a JAA ATPL... I would appreciate clarification on what exactly the National Insurance Number is and why it is required to apply...
where I work over on the continent we have numerous UK citizens working and living along with 12 other EU nationalities...
6to8

vfrrider481
12th Oct 2010, 22:09
Just read the faq and see they need 50 hours flying in a rolling 12 months. Not a problem for experienced current pilots but decidedly awkward for modular low hours folks such as I trying to get their first foot on the f/o ladder.

My ir, mcc and joc were all completed in the last 6 months so I have plenty of sim time but only 25 hours flight time.

I'm anticipating it will limit the progress of my application somewhat.

Bugger.

D O Guerrero
13th Oct 2010, 10:35
Before I spend several hours filling in the the leviathan of an application form, it would be really, really helpful if someone could say how much (roughly will do) a year 1 FO gets paid, gross.
Cheers
D O G

SW1
13th Oct 2010, 13:07
Superpilot,

Im in the same position as you. It asks for a current IR and I believe the MPA IR should suffice.

DHC6to8
13th Oct 2010, 13:23
So blokes, who's going to go first and spill the lot on what exactly a National Insurance Number is and why it is important to the application process?? As I see it, this number allows CityFlyer to accept applications from UK citizens or residents only... and NOT other members of the greater EU community... unless of course, somebody here wishes to explain to me (and others) and prove my theory wrong....
6ot8

Muvo85
13th Oct 2010, 14:10
Yeah what's the deal with the national insurance no.?? I don't have a UK one but I have one from another EU member state however it's in a different format to the UK one and I therefore can't register....annoying. :mad:

Crosswind Limits
13th Oct 2010, 14:16
Multi crew IR is fine - in fact it's better than a SPA multi IR!

Superpilot
13th Oct 2010, 14:37
Anyone know if the assessment setup is the same as the BA one? i.e. Numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning, PILAPT etc... Can't remember the last time I practised for any of those? :eek:

757_Driver
13th Oct 2010, 16:11
Anyone working there going to spill the beans on what it's actually like working there?!? Ppjn is a bit thin on info and the pay looks a bit out of date. Pm me if you don't want to commit publicly

DHC6to8
13th Oct 2010, 16:15
Man, the silence if definitely deafening... any enlightenment on the National Insurance Number rubish.... anybody??
Thank you
6to8

duf
13th Oct 2010, 16:18
tryed to call HR twice concerning the national insurance...they said they will call me back...no answer so far....:bored:

Coffin Corner
13th Oct 2010, 16:18
Thanks for the info dhc83driver.

Like 757_Driver I'd like a bit more info if anyone would be willing to share please. basically the same info as 757_Driver

A rough F/O yearly salary including diems etc
Days off per month
Number of nightstops on average
Number of standby's on average
Time to report when on standby
Summer/Winter - is it less busy in the winter?
Can you bid for tours away etc?

Thanks in advance

CC

DCH6to8

Did it occur to you it might be because the people reading this forum don't actually know. I'm sure someone will be able to to soon.

DHC6to8
13th Oct 2010, 16:21
Appreciate your feed back... I have written the HR dept an email and they will respond in due time... I'll share what I find out as soon as I hear back...
6to8

so, is this National Insurance Number only to be found within the UK??

Superpilot
13th Oct 2010, 16:48
Can't say I'm not enjoying my European brethren not being able to apply for a UK based pilot position (however wrong that maybe :E). We feel like this all the time guys, whenever there's a requirement for local language skills! :{

Muvo85
13th Oct 2010, 17:37
How about Irish people Superpilot?

P-T
13th Oct 2010, 18:55
With regards to the National Insurance Number, you need to have a permanent UK postal address and register with the job centre.

This can take up to 2 months in some cases.

P.S. about time we started looking after our own!!!!!

DHC6to8
13th Oct 2010, 19:30
Thanks chaps for the info regarding the National Insurance Number.... as for the other comments, I can respect your protectionist ideals... but I do not support them. I highly recommend (should you be lucky enough to get an interview) that you highlight your stance against "others" in the interview.
Fly safe mate, and good luck to those who apply!
6to8

Simon150
13th Oct 2010, 21:12
Does anybody know if Carl Phelan is still the Chief Pilot?

cheers

North of the Field
13th Oct 2010, 22:22
In the final section of the application form (the give us examples of etc. questions) it states at the top that there is a 1200 character limit on the text boxes. Don't suppose anyone knows if that includes/excludes spaces?

gilbertmchris
13th Oct 2010, 22:28
Hopefully it excludes spaces...

What sections do you have to fill in on your forms?

When I first logged in there was no employment or education tabs on the left hand side, it was not until today that they appeared.

In the guidance notes it states there should be a 5 year reference section also, is that on anybody's? (it is not an option on mine)

I do not want to submit it until I know.
Cheers

North of the Field
13th Oct 2010, 22:55
No 5yr reference section on my application (as yet!), glad I didn't submit this yesterday now considering the new sections that have just appeared.

towser
14th Oct 2010, 08:16
Simon 150; Carls official title is GMFO (General manager flight ops)

As for some of the other questions i'll try.
I haven't got any pay scales in front of me so can't answer the salary question.
As for work life you should get a minimum of 9 days off a month.
On average you will be away about 10 nights a month, this varies quite a lot and some months it will be higher and others lower. You can request 'max touring' but this doesn't always work!
Summer and winter are equally busy.
There is no average amount of stbys per month, you might get 2 or 3 one month and none the next.
You need to be at the airport within 1 hr from call out on a stby. (Although this may have changed recently I can't remember!)
I have no idea about the need for a National insurance number, we already have people from other parts of europe working for us so it is definitely not a way of only employing British nationals.

MartinCh
14th Oct 2010, 09:15
National Insurance Number

more information on http://direct.gov.uk (http://direct.gov.uk/) or http://jobcentreplus.gov.uk (http://jobcentreplus.gov.uk/)

You need to have job or job offer with start date to apply for NINO.
One word of advice, the longest waiting time for the letter (the crad is secondary once you have the letter with number) is experienced in LONDON. Ignore any advertised admin delays. If you can, go to smaller town to sort NI. Problem is, it's based on 'address'. It tends to be pain even get through one of the few lines to book appointment, in London.

One way to go around this is to pop in to city (Edinburgh was good, fast when I organised it for my friend couple years ago) where you fake interest in agency working, register with agency for whichever casual jobs, then you've got 'job' for NI application.

England is generally worse for sorting 'proof of address' for opening UK bank account, but doable. One easy way, but lengthy, is getting basic 'cashcard' account, opened by post. No need to work, put college student or whatever, copy of passport, voila. Then wait couple weeks to get it all done. OR, pay to HSBC or Barclays for 'premium' foreigner targetted account to set up without proof of address initially.

Anything official, letter, even from your bank abroad can help with that.

Companies shouldn't discriminate jobseekers due to lack of NI/bank a/c organised, but they do.. All of this can be arranged shortly after starting job. They'd not get you proper tax code straight away anyway.

More specific info on 'setting up' in the UK, PM me, can give pointers.

fade to grey
14th Oct 2010, 12:43
Irritatingly I can't get the personal details section to load , it keeps coming up with " subject object not set to ...." anybody else had problems ? Annoying as I have done all the rest

RJ100
14th Oct 2010, 15:45
All those who keep asking the question about basic pay.... Please read my post on page one of this thread. It's simple to understand!! If you are having problems with that maybe a job at BACF is not for you! You'll make my life harder if you get hired! ;)

Duty pay is still £1.90 per hour.
Days off. Min 9 each month except Feb where it is 8. They are usually really good at giving you just the 9! You might see 10 but not often more than that. Can't remember when I had more than 10 off other than a leave month!
Sector pay can add about an extra £400 each month (now taxed at a ridiculous rate by HMRC) plus disruption/day off payments.

Time to report off a standby in LCY is 90 minutes.
Crew food is cr@p.

Summer is as busy as winter with the new seasonal destinations from LCY and charters from other locations.
You can expect between 2-3 nights away each week as LCY based. A few two day trips have been working their way into the LCY FO's roster.

Split duties for LCY based flight crews on Fri and Sun nights are now common.

It has been said by others that the GMFO has not respect for First Officers and only barely tolerates Captains. I could not disagree with that statement!

Staff Travel is same to that of any BA employee, not the same as BA flight Deck.

A great bunch of people to work with, not a great place anymore to work. Shame, as with the right leadership this could be the place in Europe to work. Be warned don't expect it to get better. Just as you start to think it can't get any worse........ it does!!!

RJ.

Coffin Corner
14th Oct 2010, 16:14
All those who keep asking the question about basic pay.... Please read my post on page one of this thread. It's simple to understand!! If you are having problems with that maybe a job at BACF is not for you! You'll make my life harder if you get hired! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

That was the pay data after our last pay deal in 2008. Up until this week they were the scales we were using.

We have just agreed (this week) to a 2% pay deal that will be back dated until July 1st 2010. So add 2% onto those scales and you'll get our new scales.

We also took a pay freeze in July 2009 until July 2010 on our yearly increment . So basically we did not move up the scales for a year.

Ok I read it again, where does that directly answer this question regarding pay?

A rough F/O yearly salary including diems etc

Because I am not seeing it. Now it's either because I have worked too many earlies on the trot this week, or I am completely stupid, or it just isn't there :)
Thanks for the rest of the info though, the captains pay is on the front page, but not the F/Os (unless I am one of the above again).
Just one more question if I may - how many flight hours on average does an F/O work per year?

CC

james1013
14th Oct 2010, 16:58
RJ100 quick bit of advice please....

I completed the application on Tuesday and have picked up from this thread that there are now additional sections. There's no way to edit my application and no contact info to enable me to query what to do.

I guess you're not HR but with your insight into BACF how is my application likely to get treated?

Am I dreaming to think someone might call me and politely request I complete another application?

I'm guessing I'm more likely to just get binned, even though at the time my application was "complete" and I had no issues submitting it.

Cheers, James

DHC6to8
14th Oct 2010, 17:00
Thank you to those who replied and clarified what the National Insurance Number is exactly... I don't think that my Grandfather needed one of thsoe when he came over to England in 1940 and flew in the RAF!

I have looked but I have not been able to source any secure source of information on the bonding/securing procedures of CityFlyer.... what can new hires expect? I hope they are not asking for a 25000 GBP loan deposit to be paid back in monthly installments?? Can anybody clarify exactly what the bonding terms are? And for how long? With a new born at home, I can't and I won't support paying to fly typeratings!!
Thanks a bunch!
Cheers
6to8

RJ100
14th Oct 2010, 17:53
Coffin Corner,

My original post was directly below and in response to a query about the pay scales on PPJN. Sorry if I did not make that too clear. However not too hard to figure out..:E but maybe the youth of today have to be told everything step by step with out using intuition! :ooh:

So if you go to ppjn and look at the BA Cityflyer page, the FO pay scales are on the right hand side (FO) add 2% to those for each year and you'll get a detailed payscale for both FO and Capt, on left hand side (Capt). Now here comes the tricky part ;) ..... we all took a one pay freeze last year so really, a 6 year FO or Capt is actually now on year 5 scales.

I did mention that duty pay or as some call it sector pay is £1.90 an hour with averages out to about £400 on top of your monthly pay. Depending on how busy you are each month. Duty hours per month vary wildly depending on base, days off etc.... at the moment it apears EDI based crews are averaging more duty pay than LCY based FO's. (only from what I've been told on the line). So I guess you must have been tired for that section ;)

Our other payments are also available on-line from the above mentioned web site.

CC... anything else PM me and I'll try and point out where the info is ;)

RJ

Coffin Corner
14th Oct 2010, 18:13
Youth of today? I'm old enough to be your dad fella.

PPJN gives out of date info by 2-3 years and says RJ payscales, I was asking because it could be different now you have EMBs.

I can't be arsed to argue about the rest. If you would be so kind to take 2 minutes to update PPJN then you won't get hassled by "idiots" like me.

Thanks for the info. :)

RJ100
14th Oct 2010, 18:22
CC aka. Daddy ;)

Thanks for the flattery, but I doubt your old enough to be my Dad. You'd be above the max retirement age :O

First line of my post on page one. That up until last week they were the pay scales we were using. The pay has not gone up because we fly newer jets. We are the poor son of BA. :eek:

Flight pay is same for both seats. There are NO additional payments per Diem!

RJ

p.s. I have been trying to update the scales on PPJN since our huge 2% pay rise. Alas, it does seem to have appeared yet.

Coffin Corner
14th Oct 2010, 18:48
Ok, how about the age I feel? Does that count? ;)

Thanks RJ

inner
14th Oct 2010, 20:15
Hi

I don't understand the application idea. Do you have to download the application form (i don't see any) from their website or do you have to create one on your own with the guidelines the describe?

Thx

BarbiesBoyfriend
14th Oct 2010, 20:19
Lord Brown

I take your point, old bean, about Flybe being Europes' 'numma wun' when it comes to regional beasting of pilots. We continue to work hard to overtake you and in time, we probably wont.

Unlike yourself- plainly, a gentleman of independent means- I rely on my wages to ensure survival and for this I am prepared to do (almost) anything.....except join your mob!

I remain, as always, your obedient servant......

Although, not quite as literally as when we were both on the Barbie.;)....:ok:

inner
14th Oct 2010, 20:26
Plz disregard my question. Found the solution.

Must be the wine ;).

dhc83driver
14th Oct 2010, 22:03
In regards to the pay question for direct entry F/O the reason everyone is being a bit vague is that we do not have an exact figure published available. A Lot of our F/O`s were cadets who were on a different scale and there have been alot of changes with pay freezes to prevent redundancy etc, RJ100 is in the right ball park with the 2% year on the last pay scales.

Bond will be a bond not a bank loan. It will be detailed with costs and not a random figure plucked out the air. Not sure of duration but guessing about 3 years. You don`t leave you don`t pay!

*Just read the application and it states a 2 year bond

Positions will be LCY so stby call out is 90 Mins.

I hope roster patterns, number of stby`s and days off will improve, That`s why we are getting more crew! (maybe i`m dreaming)

Edi crews get more duty pay ATM as they spend all day flying around as passengers ;)

in regards to any problems with the application form, national insurance number, recent hours etc i would suggest contacting the company to ask.
IT issues would not be a surprise, If your serious its worth at least an email to clarify your application if you think you have a problem.

CHECHE
15th Oct 2010, 11:10
I applied two days ago, and appart the mail that I received confirming the correct reception of the application I haven't had any other answer.
Has anybody received an email or call after submit the application?
Any idea about the recruitment process and how many crews are they looking for?

rgds.

JB007
15th Oct 2010, 11:37
Blimey CHECHE...chill! Closing date is not for another 2 weeks!!!! Add to that a final sift...lower your expectations...

Superpilot
15th Oct 2010, 12:42
Anybody know what the assessments will be like? Are they still keen on verbal and numerical reasoning? and PIL:yuk:PT ?

Lord Molton Brown
15th Oct 2010, 21:26
Barbiesboyfriend

:mad: ;) :=

Molton Brown

Teddy Robinson
15th Oct 2010, 21:43
Was there ... don't do it, there are better things to do with your life. Get a plan, avoid lo-co, try teaching people how to do something you love ... just don't sign up to this ritualised nonsense ... oh how high do I jump to pass YOUR test ? .. yep someone will always be willing... but do you really want to be that someone ? ... let them take it .. meanwhile do something constructive with your life.

Coffin Corner
15th Oct 2010, 22:02
Teddy Robinson you'll have to elaborate a bit more than that to put people off.

BarbiesBoyfriend
15th Oct 2010, 22:22
Lord Browne.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:ooh::{:)

Even though our ways have temporarily parted, I'll always be junior to you.

I look forward to our inevitable reunion; I hope on terms amenable to us both.

buzzc152
16th Oct 2010, 11:32
How many hours per year do you guys at Cityflyer log ?

T3D STRIK3R
16th Oct 2010, 15:23
Hi Guys,

I don't normally post on here but I feel I should to stop people throwing away jobs (which you may not like, but you'll think it was the best job ever if you left to join us).

The only way this job is worth applying for, is if you were unfortunate made redundant over the last year or so. The pay is disgraceful for the job we do! We are not a regional airline, more a European short haul company, yet our powers that be (Penny Pinchers) negotiated our pay based on that and then take 5% off!!! On top of that you operate in and out of a Cat C airfield every sector on a roster based on min rest at airport hotels and a piece of lettuce (Crew Food).

You get rostered 5 day trips so that your away from base and become the company's bi:mad:ch for those 5 days, where they can do whatever they like to you!!

Positives: -
1) Friendly Crew
2) Good Rostering Manager, if you need particular days off
3) Nice Aircraft to fly and use to apply elsewhere.
4) LCY fun some days!

P.S. It could be a great company commercially and for employees if it was planned for the future and not for tomorrow! More money/ crew welfare - happier staff and less turn over! More staff, less sickness and less chance of getting titan in at a lot more cost than 2 salaries! I could go on but you get the point!!
:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Crosswind Limits
16th Oct 2010, 19:44
In its previous guise, Cityflyer Express, it was always poorly paid but crews were friendly and professional. Got this information from someone I knew who was an RJ skipper.

Maybe pays even worse now but at least the E-jet is so much better than the RJ!

I'll probably be applying as I fit the profile T3D STRIK3R lays out (plus LCY is only 30 mins from home).

DutchBird-757
16th Oct 2010, 21:57
Read and re-read the info from the guys who actually work here. That's the best advice.

Regarding the NI number to apply. If you don't have one, I found a someone with the same issue on a different forum. It was suggested there to use: a000000a. Your best advice would be to sent to bacityflyer.jobs (at) ba.com and explain it to them.

Basically it's a longhaul (touring up to 6 days away!) job with crap pay and 3 to 4 sectors a day with a bottle of water as crew food in between breakfast and dinner.

BUT is depends on your experience and what you are looking for. I do really enjoy it. But I also know that for many it's a different story as they have something to compare it to. T3D STRIK3R list the best parts about the job spot on. The folk, both f/d and c/c, are indeed really good fun.

As an F/O I log around 500hrs a year. I guess next year around 600 with the new summer program. Indeed a touring airline, with trips from 2 and up to 6 days away from base/home. I tend to get the bare minimum of 9 days off per month with an average of 7.3 nightstops, 38 operating sectors and 58hrs a month. (over a 3 month period incl 2 weeks leave) The E-jet bond is spread over 2 years and unless you leave, you don't pay a penny.

So far I've always been awarded the leave I requested, incl. request days off, trump days and your request for the festive period. The rostering manager is a brilliant guy. The schedueling agreement that was mentioned earlier makes it hard for the company to change rosters without asking your permission and/or awarding some cash (taxed of course!) to it. My roster is stable. Don't get many changes and the ones I do get are requests that I could have happily turned down If I had wished to do so.

If you're looking for a long time career and good pay, this is not the job for you. If you're looking to fly a modern jet out of a CAT C airfield with good staff travel perks and some nice folk to work with, it's not bad at all. I'm happy but I hear a lot of moaning and people applying elsewhere...just my 0.002 cents :ok:

Lord Molton Brown
17th Oct 2010, 13:20
Barbiesboyfriend

Yup, all true :ok:

Molton Brown

PAPI-74
17th Oct 2010, 13:36
With a lifestyle like that and poor pay, no wonder you guys mope about at City and look at the floor - or is eye-contact with the other ranks frowned upon?

RJ100
17th Oct 2010, 13:39
T3D STRIK3R has pretty much hit the nail on the head!
I would not leave any company to come work for this outfit in it's current state.
It is certainly at an all time low and I have never seen it worse than it is at the moment.
To the point that a fair few who stayed on when Connect was sold off to Flybe now wished they'd left for BE!! :ugh:

Even several of the people who joined us less than two years are actively looking to leave. Quote from one a few months after he joined, when we were both waiting in the LCY city crew room during one of my many forced airport standbys away from base.. "I have never worked for a company so poorly managed in my life, and I have worked for a few shady outfits!"

But if you think you are better off feel free to join, but be warned and don't complain when you realise we were ALL telling the truth!

Best of Luck!
RJ.

dboy
17th Oct 2010, 14:30
Well i submitted my application. We will see what will happen. I took the decision for myself, if the money is really that poor, no := go for me then and i stay at my current company.

gilbertmchris
17th Oct 2010, 18:39
Thanks for all the honest opinions guys but you're not changing my mind. Actually think it's a bad job for someone made redundant, CF should be selective and pick people who actually want the job and wont moan and leave for mainline at the first opportunity.
Way more important things than money, will be a pay cut for me if I get the job, as for touring and nights away, that's one of the biggest attractions...
Anyone think london city qualified and experienced turbo prop captain would make up for the lack of jet time?
I hope I get to fly with you guys soon, you wont hear me moan, ever, always better than sitting in an office!

ScamArtist
18th Oct 2010, 13:47
Hey guys, just wondering what sort of experience levels they take on?

Flyer2007
18th Oct 2010, 23:00
Hi guys and gals,

I may be having a bit of moment with one of the questions on the application. But "Please list your Performance Examination passes". I am a little confused as to whether they are simply asking for Performance exam passes in terms of Perf A etc, or whether they would like details of all ATPL subjects? If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks :-)

RB311
19th Oct 2010, 07:06
I think the problem with the view point expressed about why we go into this job in the first place is it leaves you open to exploitation. Sure, to many, flying is a passion, but so is lawyering to others, and you don't see many of them prepared to do it for peanuts.

Extend the argument further and you would expect premier league players to be the worst paid of all....

Finals19
19th Oct 2010, 07:08
I had the same issue. I believe they're referring to the old performance exams before EASA / JAA? Just list your Performance and PoF grades and then below list the rest of them (i.e the other subjects) I also did this in the education section, (where I gave details of my ground school) If they don't need the info they will just disregard it anyway.

:ok:

Flyer2007
19th Oct 2010, 08:28
Thanks very much! :)

MikeAlphaTangoTango
19th Oct 2010, 10:01
Two more E190 for S11

BA CityFlyer firms up two Embraer 190 options (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/10/19/348625/ba-cityflyer-firms-up-two-embraer-190-options.html)

climb1please
19th Oct 2010, 13:02
that's very true what you say captain widebody. I couldn't agree with you more.

Unfortunately cityflyer's only attractive bit in all those things you list is that you get staff travel on BA. mind you, it's not as good as what BA pilot's get, but it still gets you places.
Apart from that though, there isn't much else. All these cityflyer employees aren't trying to put people off, they're just honest. Good luck and if you make it through I look forward to hearing you out over a few beers after a year's flying with us.

cheerio

757_Driver
20th Oct 2010, 08:46
I agree with capt widebody. For me lifestyle is by far the most important aspect - not the money. I want to have enjoyable flying and plenty of time with my family. However BA cityflyer doesn't seem to tick many boxes at all!

justanotherstat
20th Oct 2010, 10:18
What do they gain from it that others like FlyBe don't?

The answer to this is fairly simple in that it means they do not have to have multiple bases. Cityflyer is predominately a business airline with London City as it's focus interconnecting other business centres. The reason for the touring is to enable them to operate into LCY first thing and back out last thing which enables their customer base flexibility with meetings etc.

it's clearly not a career airline

Maybe you would like to quantify this statement??? I don't work for the aforementioned, but instead a turboprop operator who pays less. I don't think you can define career airlines by their starting salaries?

It is a business first and foremost, and although the salaries do not reflect market rate, it is important to consider the financial position the country has found itself in, and the fact that many other airlines have fallen by the wayside and will continue to do so. Maybe the rewards will come in time.

Finally, someone compared us to footballers and lawyers, whilst lawyers may love their trade, I'm pretty sure it's bloody hard work most of the time, with moments of joy few and far between. Footballers are playing a game they love - not my idea of work at all. We on the other hand, 5 mins into a flight break thru the cloud, into the blue open sky - that is a moment of joy, and the harder you work, the more often it happens.....:D

DutchBird-757
20th Oct 2010, 12:31
It is a business first and foremost, and although the salaries do not reflect market rate, it is important to consider the financial position the country has found itself in, and the fact that many other airlines have fallen by the wayside and will continue to do so. Maybe the rewards will come in time.

Finally, someone compared us to footballers and lawyers, whilst lawyers may love their trade, I'm pretty sure it's bloody hard work most of the time, with moments of joy few and far between. Footballers are playing a game they love - not my idea of work at all. We on the other hand, 5 mins into a flight break thru the cloud, into the blue open sky - that is a moment of joy, and the harder you work, the more often it happens.....:D

I agree. The company itself says that it's not a career airline. Fair enough. At least it's honest. But having worked for two other airlines, one who went bust and another one that's making a loss and cutting services, I can fairly say that having job security and big BA behind you makes me sleep a whole lot better at night. And now add Hamburgh International to the list of 'once upon a time there was...' airlines.

For f/o's it's currently mostly 3 day tours. But cpt's regularly 5 to 6 days away. Having only a dozen destinations limits the variety a bit. They are always the same trips but mixed in a different order. But with the CPH, ARN and the upcoming new destinations, it makes it all a bit more interesting. Mind you, those MAD/CPH en future ARN trips are really nice though. At least they are not minimum rest jobs and you actually have an afternoon+evening/morning off to explore the city.

If you want to have time off at home (minimal touring and weekends off) and make a really descent wage, this is not the place to be. And next years programm is gonna be even more busy.

As others stated before. You'll fly with really nice folk (c/c & f/d), into an interesting airport on a daily basis and on a great jet. We're expending and have job security and good schedueling agreement. Plus some nice perks on the side. (staff travel)

On the other hand. The money is crap, crew food goes downhill, no vouchers anymore in hotels like we used to have and lot's of time away from home, now including weekends.

Take your pick and see what fits you. I would however recommend this airline, but it all comes down to what's important to yourself. These are just facts.

Atreyu
20th Oct 2010, 12:47
"I've applied cos I have no choice in the current climate but being married with 2 kids and living in London, I need to earn a pre tax salary of £37,000 to break even and that doesn't include holidays. Passion has it's limits, it's clearly not a career airline"

Good luck with £26,000 for year one...

"Actually think it's a bad job for someone made redundant, CF should be selective and pick people who actually want the job and wont moan and leave for mainline at the first opportunity."

Two things wrong with that statement, not many people are really going to WANT to work at BACF, and even if they do, they won't after a year.

Secondly, working for this 'wholly owned subsidiary', there is virtually no chance of getting into mainline direct from CF and why would they? Pay for a CF pilots rating on an Airbus, only to recruit someone to fly the EMB at LCY? Recruitment of one CF pilot will invariably lead to recruiting two pilots, one to mainline, one to CF, hardly cost effective?

Like Mr.DB757 says, it's not all bad and always very subjective. My two cents? If you're in a stable flying job, wait it out until the bigger better airlines recruit, if your needing a job, get your app in.

Ta

Atreyu:ok:

DutchBird-757
20th Oct 2010, 12:50
Like Mr.DB757 says, it's not all bad and its always very subjective. My two cents? If you're in a stable flying job, wait it out until the bigger better airlines recruit, if your needing a job, get your app in.

That's the bottom line of this thread.

P.s. Atreyu, shouldn't you be working for a change? ;)

Atreyu
20th Oct 2010, 12:55
I've convinced the company I am to be left as a man of leisure ;)

Atreyu

p.s I wish, just a few days off which are together, thanks to our kindly crew planner :)

gilbertmchris
20th Oct 2010, 14:00
Well hopefully those choosing CF for the wrong reasons will get sifted out at interview, I know a few people who really do want the job (myself included)

I think you guys forget there are lots of people working for much less money on far worse conditions and CF would be a great move. Personally I would choose CF command over mainline FO if both came up at the same time. (I am in a stable fun job that I love at the moment)
guess it's all about what people want from work.

For those that are at CF for longer;
How does your training work? Are there many line trainers?
Does CF use it's own TRI/TREs?

Also for anyone on the Emb, does CF have the HUD or the autoland enabled/approved? The plane looks amazing!

Cheers

Jamin20
20th Oct 2010, 14:19
I know it is a difficult question to answer because of expansion etc, but what is the length of time expected for command? Is it strictly seniority based because surely like most other airlines there are plenty of 3 stripers with 2500hrs+ waiting for their chance.

Jamin

towser
20th Oct 2010, 14:49
Jamin20; There is no average time to command it very much depends on demand and other things (people leaving, expansion, etc). We have very few 3 strippers hanging around ( 1 or 2) and even less with 2500hrs because they virtually all started out a few years ago with just 200hrs!

Gilbertmchris; We have a full compliment of trainers both line and TRE/TRI. We don't have the HUD but do do CatIIIA autoland.

BA777
20th Oct 2010, 16:49
So when the F/O goes onto the Y2 scale...

It's listed as £34,986 on PPJN, so +2% = £35685

Therefore that would only be taxed at the HMRC basic rate of 20% + NI? So quite a good Y2, and then hit by the larger rate in Y4 when it goes to the 40%?

Also, could you please show how you get to the £400 extra from flight/duty pay? So an example of how you get to that 400 would be fantastic please :)

Thanks

gilbertmchris
20th Oct 2010, 16:51
Thanks Towser,
Sounding even more interesting...

towser
20th Oct 2010, 17:12
BA777; Can't really give you an example of how RJ100 came to a sum of £400 per month for flight pay. It depends on how much you work. We get £1.90/hr duty pay so the more you are at work the more you get! I would have said that £400 was an average before its taxed. Working day off and disruption payments are on top.

BA777
20th Oct 2010, 18:06
Thanks towser, is it taxed at the lower or higher rate?

DutchBird-757
20th Oct 2010, 19:01
Again that would depend on your income. Up to year 5 f/o (IIRC) you are looking at 20% tax.

B777, your calculations are correct.

As towser said. Most of the f/o's have started straight from flying school. At present more and more are hitting the 2500hrs mark and going to senior f/o. (3 stripe & doesn't purely depend on hrs) Surely some will be considered for command with these 2 new E190's coming.

gilbertmchris. You are right in stating that most new f/o's should (and are as well) very glad with this job. It's a great experience, initially with the RJ and now the E-Jet, going into an airport like LCY daily. If you're straight out of flight school, or coming from a turboprop to this than it's a really good step forward and a great job. But I think that someone with more exprience on jets at bigger airlines in particular would think twice.

CathayBrat
20th Oct 2010, 19:16
First of all, thanks to the chaps who have posted useful things on this thread. Been flying in some of the more darker places south of the med for a while, but she who must be obeyed is making VERY loud noises about me returning to the UK. This will probably be with lots of kicking and screaming from myself. At the mo i am flying a PC12, into somalia, which has its own benefits and excitement ($$$ and low level combat approachs), but i may be getting a bit old for that these days! Now i'm not expecting either of these things at BACY, but am keen to return to sunny blighty. 2500hrs+, multi turbo command etc. I understand that the place seems to be a nice place to work, good people etc, but the usual mgt probs. But what about the future? Why it is not used as a feeder of crew for big brother, al'a Dragon air and Cathay. Will it expand much more re aircraft, crew, routes? I know LCY is limited in aircraft types, but this list seems to be getting bigger. Before i post my application (cant find my bloody NI card), i would like to hear from people there. What is the lifestyle like? Touring sounds good, nitestops always fun, but can this fit in with family life? Does the company understand this, and try to accomadate family people? I am keen to cross the med and come back to the civilized world, and to keep the memshaib quiet, but is this the right time, or company? I hope so, but we shall see?

Ray Ban
20th Oct 2010, 19:30
CathayBrat

Quite a few posts from BACF pilots already with much of the info you ask about - have a quick read!:p

I'm Off!
20th Oct 2010, 19:33
£26000? I thought the year 1 FO salary was about £34k??

DutchBird-757
20th Oct 2010, 19:34
CathayBrat. Reading you're applying then for command I would say, expect to be worked like a dog. (not meant negative but you''re gonna be one busy puppy.)

Does it fit in with family life? Hmmm...it depends if you can stand the touring lifestyle and if the misses (and maybe kids) at home can/will put up with you being constantly away or getting loads of changes. Looking forward, it will get a wee bit better due to some changes (in pilots favour) of our schedueling agreement. Giving us more time off after 6 day trip, no rostered single days off. The company looks in good shape, expanding, promotions, new pilots and backing from big brother. Loads are very healthy and although company moral is low, social moral is high. There's no diference between mr.family guy and mr.single guy as far as rostering goes. You can request minimum nightstops if you want that but absolutely no guarantee you will get it. Also loads of charters for next s11 season so no more weekends off I suspect.

Don't expect us to have anything to do with big BA in terms of carreer progression. All you get is a guaranteed interview with BA and that's it. But as atreyu already stated, why would they consider us if they then have to train 2 pilots iso just 1. I know, it's crazy that there's no future for any of us into mainline. Both from a flying as from a financial point of view.

MikeAlphaTangoTango
20th Oct 2010, 19:58
Not quite sure you've got your numbers right there guys. On the scales listed on PPJN, no F/Os should be paying higher rate tax (based solely on the basic pay). £6.5k tax free allowance, next £37.5k at 20%, thereafter 40%. So you have to earn circa £44k before you hit the 40% bracket, and then only on any amount over £44k. £26k for the first year is a bit of a shocker though :ugh:

DutchBird-757
20th Oct 2010, 21:03
The 4 new f/o's that were in the holdpool for a long time have just been hired. So the expansion is definitely happening.

CHECHE
21st Oct 2010, 08:20
Any idea about, crews they are going to need and roughly, applications (matching the minimums requirements) they are going to receive :hmm:

Superpilot
21st Oct 2010, 09:04
A birdy tells me 15-20 crew and as for your second question: :mad: loads!

CathayBrat
21st Oct 2010, 15:40
DutchBird-757

Thanks for your vote of confidance, but not applying for command, always belived u have to start at the bottom and work your way up! No problem with touring trips, day aways, last min changes, African flying has nothing on that, but the wife wants me back in uk. I dont want to climb the greasy pole up the list, i just want to fly and be rewarded for it. I admit the BA name swings me more than sleazy jet or o'learys mob. I dont have debts from flying, (ex mob), just want to fly. But also dont want to vanish into a hold pool for the next 3 yrs. From what i have read, it seems like a good place to work, but not if u want to be a widebody capt. Suits me, long haul is crap, the old man did it for 20 yrs, no flying, just pushing buttons. Application will be on its way soon.

gdukkoq
21st Oct 2010, 15:46
Any chances for a french currently working in Africa ? 2900TT UK JAA ATPL 1600 JAR25 ... I did send an application but being so far away... :confused:

Neon Circuits
21st Oct 2010, 21:19
Would agree with everything posted by all.

I personally enjoy it, great crew, good training department and a varied roster. Yes there are problems; discussing them with some crew today but I'm sure all companies have problems in this day and age.

Having said that, the problems could be fixed if tackled in the right manner I believe. Communication seems to be a big one from management to the coalface.

Money is a biggy, f/c and c/c but hey, Im happy with my lot at the moment. The future looks promising and Im happy to see what happens over the next year or two.

big d1
22nd Oct 2010, 11:25
Im having problems with the Jobs section on the application not loading up properly and therefore can not enter any of my previous job details. All the other section work fine. I have sent them a couple of email yet still no response. Does anyone have any other ways of contacting them?

Superpilot
22nd Oct 2010, 12:10
Tried a different browser? A different internet connection?

big d1
22nd Oct 2010, 12:20
Yep both, and tried a different PC as well.

RJ_Rantster
22nd Oct 2010, 12:26
A few unanswered questions / comments......

Firstly; DB757..... "Don't expect us to have anything to do with big BA in terms of carreer progression. (correct) All you get is a guaranteed interview with BA and that's it." (pretty sure that’s incorrect)

Secondly, i think the figure of 26k per year has been mentioned due to year one, non type rated FOs being placed on some sort of cadet pay scale. I hope this is not the case and that you get the full 35k(ish). A few people may ask why FOs two years ago joined on 25k however!!!

Anyway, good luck to anyone applying but please read this thread carefully as there is a lot of truth in comments from employees.

Superpilot
22nd Oct 2010, 13:41
I had an issue so withdraw the first application. Changed the email address associated with the original one and then registered again with my original address. Was fine the second time around but be sure to save details from the old one as .mht file first. I'm realistic about finding someone bothered enough to investigate an IT problem for me when there's no financial gain :ok:

DutchBird-757
22nd Oct 2010, 14:23
@ RJ_Rantster.
As far as I know I am correct in saying that all you get is an invitation for a interview with BA. But I might be wrong, I haven't applied myself. Just hearsay.

Expect 26K for year 1 and then normal F/O scales. You are right in saying it doens't make sense that f/o's a couple years ago were bonded for 2 years on 24k and 28k.

Brie
22nd Oct 2010, 16:36
26K a year?:eek:

This must be a joke!!! I might hope it is after tax.

DutchBird-757
22nd Oct 2010, 17:39
Nope. It's before tax and now also our Flight Duty Pay gets taxed. I know, it's a shocker BUT it was even worse only a couple of years ago. (24k in year 1 and 28K in year 2 and all before tax) Try living in London with that!

As RJ_Rantster already said, it's something to do with the capet pay scales. It's supposedly only for 1 year and then onto 35.5K before tax thereafter. (still bad I know)

Still waiting on official confirmation so hang tight...

dhc83driver
22nd Oct 2010, 18:08
i think this pay thing needs to be clarified, This is just what i am led to understand and could be very wrong but the pay DB is quoting was the cadet pay. For a direct entry F/O not out of training college that has flown a commercial type, the pay should be full year one and not the cadet rate for the first two years.

So in theory the cadets in the holding pool will be on the cadet pay as per there agreement and other direct entry will be on full pay.

Bond will be two years in all cases.

big d1
22nd Oct 2010, 18:18
Superpilot

Thank you for the information. Did as you said an worked ok.:ok:

Wodka
23rd Oct 2010, 10:18
Has anyone been able to contact HR regarding these anomalies with the application form? I submitted my app before these new sections appeared on the form re Education, etc. I can't withdraw and resubmit the system tells me :ugh:

I sent an email but no response...

2 Whites 2 Reds
23rd Oct 2010, 12:44
Wodka...

What email address have you used? I too applied before these new sections appeared and now cannot alter or resubmit the application so need to get in touch with them also.

Cheers

2W2R :ok:

norton2005
23rd Oct 2010, 12:45
Wodka and 2 reds 2 white, Im in the same boat as you, I've tried to contact them a couple times about it but no responses to my emails. any phone numbers we could use?

2 Whites 2 Reds
23rd Oct 2010, 12:54
Hmmmm..... I've just emailed the generic email address for BACF HR.

My brother works for BA mainline, I'll see if he can dig out a number for them and go from there. Will let you know if I get anywhere.

Cheers

2W2R

Garba51
23rd Oct 2010, 13:32
Hello all of you,

I hope this will help some of you!
As I applied before the applications changed, I didn't have to write about my education and employment history.

So, when I noticed the changes, I called HR and they told me not to worry about that and that they will mostly look at our CV's.
Another thing, maybe the non-UK citizens couldn't change there countries in the application, UK seems to be the default one and one can't change it.
I talked to them about that as well and told me the problem was known and not an issue at all, once again, the CV is the main element they look at apparently.

Hope this helps you!

Take care, good luck to all of you (and me :) ) and fly safe.

Garba.

Garba51
23rd Oct 2010, 13:59
CW,

You and the others should look and read carefully the FAQ as there is the direct HR number. If it is not in the FAQ, then it is somewhere in their website.

Once, before the recruitment opened, I called BA Mainline in order to get a number I could join BACF with. They told me that only one number was available to them and this one was internal.

Once again, read the BACF website FAQ and you should probably get the HR number on it.

Regards,

Garba.

Wodka
23rd Oct 2010, 15:11
Found the number, its on the guidance notes

DutchBird-757
23rd Oct 2010, 15:15
A quick search on google: United Kingdom: BA CityFlyer (http://www.airlineupdate.com/content_public/airlines/airline_profiles/airlines_uk/bacityflyer.htm)

Call the number and simply ask for HR.

EDIT - Just spotted this is the same google page as CW. See hown simple it is...

RJ100
24th Oct 2010, 12:54
Re: the BA interview. Way back when we were CitiExpress we were indeed guaranteed and interview and supposedly escaped the group exercises, however everyone I knew who applied did the group ex. Now as BA Cityflyer that agreement is no longer in place so our applications are treated just like anyone else's.:ouch: No longer any special treatment, even though we have aligned our interview process to more like mainlines.

RJ.

Finals19
24th Oct 2010, 19:15
Chaps,

Has anybody else noticed that when reviewing the application before submitting, it omits your NI number details that you originally inputted? When you go back to the personal details section to re-insert, its no longer there to amend?

Any solution, or is it just a case of hitting the submit button?

:ok:

2 Whites 2 Reds
24th Oct 2010, 21:17
When I went through and checked the form before hitting 'submit', my NI number was present. But after I had submitted I printed a copy to PDF format for my own records the NI number had vanished. So I went through my profile on the BACF careers site any my NI number was still in there. Thus I'm not too concerned as they do have it on record.

I'm only in my mid-20's so am by no means a 'tecnhophobe' but there seems to be an awful lot of problems with online applications to airlines as a whole. Jet 2 being another one that many people (including me) had problems with.

Bring back the paper and pen I say!!!!

Evening All

2W2R :ok:

SolentFlyer
25th Oct 2010, 07:28
References
The nature of our business means that safety and security are paramount considerations.

In this section you will be asked to provide a full 5-year reference history with all gaps covered. If you have gaps of 14 days or more you will be required to provide personal referees to cover these.

Before I submitted my application, I could not see a section for completing this information, was this the same for everyone else?

Also, regarding the NI number, mine did not show up in the review section either, but it was definately listed in the main personal details section of the website when I went back and checked.

I agree with the above, paper and pen is the way forward!

Superpilot
25th Oct 2010, 10:30
The BACF application is the same one from 2004/2005 (yep, I was a wannabe back then too! :{). I doubt very much it gets maintained by the IT department and besides what would they know about it's shortcomings unless someone from HR/recruitment told them? For that to happen the recruiter would've had to go through the entire process themselves in order to realise (I doubt very much they did that). Clearly, they're not interested in making it the perfect application form (I'd be lieing if I said I ever saw one!), so it's safe to assume all they're interested in is capturing the most important details. Name, address, license, credit ca.. (wait wrong airline!)

Drakestream
27th Oct 2010, 16:06
Probably a little premature as we're still two days away from the closing date, but has anyone heard anything yet?

EDIT: Just received the email asking for a reply if unable to make one of the four dates in November.

SW1
27th Oct 2010, 16:23
I just got this:

Thank you for your recent application for First Officers E-Jet Series Aircraft with BA CityFlyer. We are currently in the process of shortlisting for the current vacancies.
Please be advised that those shortlisted will be invited to a one day Pilot Assessment Centre at Didsbury, Manchester on the following days:
-Monday 8th November
-Tuesday 9th November
-Wednesday 10th November
-Thursday 11th November 2010

Drakestream
27th Oct 2010, 16:24
Likewise! Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone.

Superpilot
27th Oct 2010, 16:30
I'd be interested to hear about your total time for all those who have got an invite.

james1013
27th Oct 2010, 16:34
Just got the same email. Do you think this has gone out to all applicants or just those who've made it through the first sift?

babotika
27th Oct 2010, 16:35
This doesn't look like the actual invite yet, just a pre-invitation advisory message of some sort... The wording implies that they want anyone who can't make the dates to get in touch, maybe so they can be removed from the list for this round? Curious to see what happens next.

S.

funnypilot
27th Oct 2010, 16:53
I received the same mail (3 times in a row :D).I'm agree with babotika,I think it's just a way to make a pre selection before the real one , and then they'll just have to choose among the applicants able to make it ;)

Wodka
27th Oct 2010, 17:01
Just received it too. I guess invites will be sent out proper next week once the deadline has passed.

dboy
27th Oct 2010, 17:22
Got the mail too. Unfortunatly i can not go on one of those days. :{

So 1 less competitor for you guys.

Good luck.

undertherainbow
27th Oct 2010, 17:27
Hi all,

Does anyone know roughly how the assessment day will look like?

What about the interview (personal and/or technical)
Maybe a questionnaire?
And what about the group exercise and sim check?

EK4457
27th Oct 2010, 17:53
I would assume that this is an automated email sent to everyone who applied.

Please be advised that those shortlisted will be invited to a one day Pilot Assessment Centre

Good luck!

EK

JackFloyd
27th Oct 2010, 19:11
Haven't received the e-mail yet... Anyone else in my situation?

blueskiesup
27th Oct 2010, 20:11
My question as well undertherainbow, what does the assessment consist of?

Vulcan607
27th Oct 2010, 21:39
got email too.

hopefully in due course we will all find out whats happening next week or so.

Neon Circuits
27th Oct 2010, 21:58
It was:

Interview
Group Ex
Psycometric (?) testing

Then:

Sim

Only 2 got offered after 8 attending. Of course, things were different back then (!) in terms of the number of applications but however, similar to Mainline screening.

Expect approaching 4 figures in terms of amount of applications...:D

Good luck :ok:!

CathayBrat
27th Oct 2010, 22:22
Got the same e mail, but my problem is i want to get the early days, as i need to head south of the Med soon. Do you think this will be a prob if u say "yup, first two days good, not sure about the others"!!! Oh well, should be a giggle what ever happens, good luck to all, hope to see you guys there in Didsbury, Manchester. (Why FFS there?)

Drakestream
27th Oct 2010, 22:30
Oh well, should be a giggle what ever happens, good luck to all, hope to see you guys there in Didsbury, Manchester. (Why FFS there?)

It's their head office. Don't forget to do your homework before the interview!

YYZ_Instructor
27th Oct 2010, 22:35
Was that all done in one day? :eek:

Is it the same for DEC?

Cheers

Neon Circuits
27th Oct 2010, 23:33
Sim was about 2 weeks later.

DEC expect the same but could have changed.

Utrinque
27th Oct 2010, 23:43
Can anyone tell me how much a line captain makes on an average month.

Thanks

FlyingTinCans
28th Oct 2010, 00:45
Does anyone know if a non-type rated FO (1000hrs+ TT) will go on to the Cadet payscale for y1 or onto the normal payscale?

CathayBrat
28th Oct 2010, 01:08
Are you joining as a cadet? If no, then i guess no re your question. Have you been offered a capt possition? No? Yes? If you think you are good enough to get DEC, then maybe this is not the place for you, unless u got "let go" recently. Come on chaps, this is one of the first proper companies that has entered the job pool (frenzy, mkt, strip jnt) that is aviation. The req's dont seem silly, you dont have to pay up front, they have planes on the way and they have a big brother. All the questions seem v petty up to now, either u make it or u dont. DEC's, if u r asking about wages, look on my boys, no A scale's any more, and B scales getting like the honest chap in westminster(rare).
Its a tough mkt out there, i wish every one the best, but you better work for it!

NunoVasco
28th Oct 2010, 01:27
I've received the same mail too guys! I guess it was automatic...

FlyingTinCans
28th Oct 2010, 01:36
Are you joining as a cadet? If no, then i guess no re your question

Well that would depend on what CityFlyer deemed to be a cadet wouldnt it?

Cadet is quite a loose term these days, most airlines which dont ask for self funded type ratings at the moment are putting 'experianced' non-type rated FOs on lower salaries or 'cadet' salaries. Go to Easy with 3000hrs+ but no type rating and you will see a 'cadet' payscale.

Seems a perfect reasonable question to me and not 'petty' at all.

CathayBrat
28th Oct 2010, 02:16
Cadet is quite a loose term these days
And there is the problem, if u want to be classified as a cadet, good luck to you, but if you have earn't and moved on from that, why take it? I am not a "cadet" as i have ATPL on my license, so why should i be treated as a cadet who has just left school? If you want to take it, good luck, but why should you? If you have 1000hrs under your belt, you are not a "cadet" in any part of the world, unless you let the "scum sucking bottom feeders" AKA lawyers and accountnts, dictate it to you. The aviation industry has had a bad time recently, and we will pay for it, because we allowed it to get to this level. I am not saying we will ever see the A scale return, But why did it get to this point? However, not a discussion for now, maybe another thread. But you are not a cadet, unless u just walked out of flight school.

Jabulani
28th Oct 2010, 06:46
Hi Guys, I have received the same mail with the dates for the assessment.

I have already LCY experience as CPT. Anyone knows if that will be an advantage?

Jabulani

Utrinque
28th Oct 2010, 07:08
Cathaybrat - can you give me a figure? :rolleyes:

FlyingTinCans
28th Oct 2010, 09:44
CathayBrat,

Even though I admire your one man crusade to change the world of aviation for the better, you still havnt been of any help.

I'm not advocating nor accepting that we should have lower salaries if we are not type rated but if CF do, well it's thier train set! I for one will not be joining them if they are going to reduce thier already lower than average salaries, I would earn more at my current low paying outfit.

But so I don't waste anymore of my time and CF HR's time I'll ask the question again:

Do CF put non-type rated guys on reduced salaries?

climb1please
28th Oct 2010, 10:51
no they don't

climb1please
28th Oct 2010, 10:53
but even so, you will earn less than a "cadet" would on the mainline ssp scales.:ouch:

norton2005
28th Oct 2010, 13:15
I got the email yesterday evening too, just seems generic, so I guess we'll see what happens with that next week!!

kamil.p
28th Oct 2010, 13:49
Anyone knows if CF want to hire only UK nationals?

boeing-lover
28th Oct 2010, 15:40
Hi all!

Do you guys really think this email is just an automatic generated message? I really had the feeling it was sort of a invite already.

I have quite a important schedule next month. It would cause me a lot of problems to shift things around. So before I do, it would be quite important for me to know if this was indeed an automatic generated message.

Hope anybody can help.

Thank you!

Greets

justanotherstat
28th Oct 2010, 15:48
Do you guys really think this email is just an automatic generated message?

Definately - you do the math. Over 1000 applications and 4 assessment dates. They are going to filter out 90% of applicants at least and need some help. No point selecting 60-80 candidates only for 20% to say they can't make the dates.

Good luck to the select few.....

carbheatout
28th Oct 2010, 15:56
Hi all!

Do you guys really think this email is just an automatic generated message? I really had the feeling it was sort of a invite already.

I have quite a important schedule next month. It would cause me a lot of problems to shift things around. So before I do, it would be quite important for me to know if this was indeed an automatic generated message.

Hope anybody can help.

Thank you!

Greets

Are you winding us all up? Do you really struggle to comprehend the following text?

Thank you for your recent application for First Officers E-Jet Series Aircraft with BA CityFlyer. We are currently in the process of shortlisting for the current vacancies.
Please be advised that those shortlisted will be invited to a one day Pilot Assessment Centre at Didsbury, Manchester on the following days:
-Monday 8th November
-Tuesday 9th November
-Wednesday 10th November
-Thursday 11th November 2010

boeing-lover
28th Oct 2010, 16:02
Ok, thanks for those answers.

@carbheatout: Didn't know you would go mad. But still thanks for your answer.

I really thought they would make a first pre-selection based on hours TT etc. But my mistake I guess...
Greets

Jabulani
28th Oct 2010, 16:04
So we all wait for next week and see what happens....

Do they pay for the travel costs to Manchester?

carbheatout
28th Oct 2010, 16:08
Love it. Yeah they put you in First Class i have been told.

Haha Boeing Lover don't worry I am mad already you didn't make me mad. I'm like you, i love Boeings too.

Good luck to you all and I hope you all get an invite and a job.

CHECHE
29th Oct 2010, 08:22
One pilot has posted in a spanish forum that he received a call yesterday inviting him for Nov 11th He says that he has E190 TR and he's TRI.
Has anyone received a call from HR? :confused:

Rgds.

gdukkoq
29th Oct 2010, 10:33
If you are available for at least one of the days there is no reason to contact us

But you don't get to choose one of the days offered, so this quote is not right. Well whatever happen.

I'm thininking of buying a ticket now because prices goes way up if I wait next week... Well I will still have to pay fees if I cancel my flight then...

RJ100
29th Oct 2010, 12:54
I almost fell of my chair laughing at the chap who asked if BACF would pay for travel!! Ha, Ha!:D

Umm. Just so that you are all aware... when selected and you start the ground School course, you will be expected to get the train from one of the hotels (Bed and Breakfast basis) near MAN airport and submit the receipts at the end of the course. Expect to wait several weeks for the money back!

And No I am not joking!!!

RJ

DutchBird-757
29th Oct 2010, 17:37
We were put up at the Hilton at MAN with not transport arranged. Same deal. As an example, I'm still waiting for a claim I made last christmas! (even after chasing them up)

justanotherstat
29th Oct 2010, 17:53
To be fair at least they will be providing hotel. I believe its £3 train to didsbury from airport so not going to bankrupt anyone.

Check out the Jet2 thread, they want you to pay for rating, accommodation whilst doing said rating, 50% pay until line check completion and then all you have is a 70% contract.

It is ridiculous to think they will pay for transport to the interview, would you expect the same from any other industry???

DHC6to8
29th Oct 2010, 18:03
Just droping in to leave some food for thought... after all the companies I have worked for transport/accomodation to the selection and interview was always reimbursed and or provided. I have been hired at every selection I have attended and I have been paid for the transport/accomodation, time and meals for the time I was investing in getting the job, training for the position, and operating the equipment... I would expect nothing more or less.
A company that is worth its weight should provide such things.
6to8

Jabulani
29th Oct 2010, 18:08
So do I think, thats why I asked. E.g. AirBaltic provided tickets to RIX, ok hotel was cheap and transport as well. So there are companies to pay for travel.

bananaman2
29th Oct 2010, 18:23
DHC6to8... you never said if you were a pilot flying for an airline though? I know plenty of lawyers, finance people etc who would automatically think likewise. If you are a pilot then fair play - you're obviously getting the best deals out there and are probably in demand.

also depends what perspective your viewing things from... if

a captain with thousands of hours and you can pick and choose the airlines you want to work for and interviews you want to go to, then by all means you can expect the best.

if a young low hours pilot looking for your first job, then you may just have to take what you can get, if the treatment is less lucrative.

sidney_young
29th Oct 2010, 18:27
Hi

A quick question :-

If you do an overnight do you get an allowance for food and if so how much is the allowance for and what is it supposed to cover. (please dont say the allowance is the £1.90 p/h)

Thanks

justanotherstat
29th Oct 2010, 18:33
You are both foreign pilots I take it, and the examples you give are for jobs in countries where they have to expand their search overseas and expect potential pilots to move into the counrty of operation.

With all due respect, BACF is a UK operator, and there are more than enough UK based pilots (not necessarily British before you scream) looking for jobs.

Give me one example of a UK airline that pays for transport to interview?

Luftansa Italia, Air Baltic, Middle eastern airlines etc all pay for your transport because they cannot fill their positions locally.

sidney_young
29th Oct 2010, 18:34
im uk citizen and london based

DHC6to8
29th Oct 2010, 18:51
I am a 100% fully employed bloke (left seat) and looking for a ticket back to the family roots in the UK....
Banannaman2... it should not matter if I am employed and experienced or a green horn... I believe that everybody should be treated fairly and with respect. Yes, I have walked away from offers from both contracts and companies because I know what I am worth and what my skill set is valued at in the market - and I did not feel that I was being valued by these companies/contractors.
I also have faired well by respecting the first and second officers I have had the pleasure of working with.... we are all valuable and a part of a greater team... some of the best Captains I worked with as a green horn treated me as an equal and demanded that the company also respect and treat all crew with the same value as a seasoned veteran. I promised to carry this over when I went left seat so many years ago. Regardless if you are starting out or have been in the industry for years, you are a valued member of a greater team that is entrusted with the lives of people on a daily basis - in the end we are all on teh same team regardless of what company we work for!Good constructive collective bargaining should hold this important attitude to promote and support all ranks equally. I have had a 250 hour first officer rescue my arse on a bad day just as efficiently and effectively as a senior training captain.... so, if you are invited to the BACF interview and selection, carry yourself well, remember what you are worth and don't under any circumstances sell yourself for less.There are limits of pay and benefits that accompany your first entrance into the industry and that is to be expected, but don't allow yourself to be crushed under the weight of indignity or prostitution. We are competing amongst ourselves for the available jobs... and I say, may the best man win. Win like a gentlemen and if you lose this round... keep at it and be a good sport. Companies today are looking for good team members and sports, not individualists who are hell bent on the satisfaction of the ego/self.

Some thread drift here so please excuse my ramblings...I wish all who applied for BACF the very best for your selections and interviews! May the best man win!
Cheers,
6ot8

CHECHE
29th Oct 2010, 19:55
I think that jobs is as simple as one employer which offer something and an employee who accepts terms. Everyone has his own reasons to accept or not, and nobody should judge this point. (i'm not talking about P2F) So if someone wants to pay transport and hotel for assessment is his own business, or when you spent fuc.... lot of money to become pilot was not a risk.

Again, has anyone been called for assessment? :zzz: i'm still waiting, maybe forever...:{
cheers.

Atreyu
29th Oct 2010, 20:14
"To be fair at least they will be providing hotel. I believe its £3 train to didsbury from airport so not going to bankrupt anyone"

Not really the point though is it, it's the principle.

justanotherstat
29th Oct 2010, 20:27
Agreed Atreyu, my point was its not quite the same as paying for other more substantial costs. £3 a day isn't too much to pay up front when you can claim it back.

Sidney_young - we had a crossed post, I was not questioning your nationality! To answer your question, no food allowance, the 1.90 per hour duty pay covers substinence etc.

I work for an airline that doesn't pay duty pay and requires receipts for food consumed on night stops to a limit that barely buys you a cheese sandwich - I'd like to know where these ideas are coming from.... Not a UK regional airline for sure.

DutchBird-757
29th Oct 2010, 20:49
@ sidney_young. All you get is 1.90hr before tax, no food allowance. When on first flight of the day checkin times you don't get breakfast in the hotels anymore simpy because you leave before that starts. The hotels will provide a simple coffee/tea/croissant service usually. Also no vouchers to cover yourself with a hot meal the night before in that case.

If you are on any later flight you do get breakfast. Also always discounts etc.

sidney_young
29th Oct 2010, 23:05
Thanks for your responses DutchBird-757 and justanotherstat.

With regards to Captain Widebody you are for want of a better word a "Plonker".

I have read through these forums and tried to find out as much as I can and was not sure about subsistence.

Believe it or some company's do pay subsistence costs which will cover more then a cheese and pickle sandwich!

I come to work to make money and I don't fancy dipping into my pocket to pay for food especially when I am not at home. In my opinion, I think the Company has a moral obligation to ensure that you stay in a safe clean hotel, and you have enough money to buy more then a McDonalds – I don’t consider these perks – I consider it a necessity !

At my present company we get E70 per day tax free - and it don't go that far by the time you have paid for breakfast, had a couple of coffees and an evening meal.

This is why I wanted to clarify this point, which DutchBird-757 and justanotherstat have kindly answered.

It's people like you who bury their head in the sandpit who are driving our terms and conditions down in this industry – I’ll just turn the other cheek shell I!

Is subsistence going to really change my mind – not in isolation, but I want to have an idea what the whole package is. I can then make an informed decision.

One final word Cheche asks a perfectly acceptable question regarding has anyone been called for assessment – why make a stupid comment about it – the guy or girl is only showing a bit of enthusiasm!

VFE
30th Oct 2010, 09:21
Anybody know how many FO's are to be hired given the delivery of 3 E190SR's on 14th Nov? The advert seemed to indicate that those with no airline experience could get a look-in, if so - have they recently taken on any GA instructors, jump pilots, with hours etc? Or are they more keen on the low houred, fresh outa Oxford chaps and chappesses?

Many thanks,

VFE.

dhc83driver
30th Oct 2010, 09:22
Just to Clarify the duty pay. We get 1.90 / hour whilst on duty.Do a 5 day tour and you will get about £200 pre tax. This is to cover expenses while at work. We are given meals at work whilst at work. If they are not available then you can claim a meal allowance via expenses. Hotels are clean and normally to a high standard. Breakfast is included in hotel rates unless you report on an early and then breakfast is provided on board. Most hotels give a voucher for breakfast so if you don`t want breakfast you can use it for something else normally to a value of about 10 euros. The tax paid on our duty pay is controlled by HMRC and is based on us collecting receipts to justify our expenditure. This did not happen at the last audit so we now pay more tax :(. We have requested another audit. Its not all bad if you take duty pay for what it is. You will make more money from disruption payments if your happy to be changed around and be flexible.

Last time i was at Manchester we had the choice of train or hire car. I used the car and claimed back the fuel, This was paid in a very short time. I do believe that parking has now been restricted hence the train. When at Gatwick for training, hire car or taxi offered.

sidney_young
30th Oct 2010, 12:02
dhc83driver thanks for your response - I have a better idea how subsistence works in your company.

Captain Widebody - you will probably find that that what I am after in a job is probably not to dissimilar from what you want or for that matter any other person who applies for a job.

From reading through this thread, the crews get on and routes seem quite interesting - the only thing I could not really gleam from the thread was about subsistence costs - hence the post.

My statement about you reducing terms and conditions might have been a little OTT- but I did not like how you inferred my question that I posted was kind of trivia.

Anyway good luck for all those who applied

timzsta
30th Oct 2010, 18:21
Which variant of the 190 are the operating? The standard or one of the long range types?

dhc83driver
30th Oct 2010, 19:03
we operate the 170-100 std and a special 190SR (short runway) Its the light airframe with the big engines and only 98 seats (means lots of room for pax and a really nice cabin). We have nearly all the options that don`t weigh to much. We don`t have air stairs, HUD or entertainment pack or cabin laptop power as combined it would add many 1000kgs to the aircraft. We do have autobrake, Cat 3a autoland, acars and a few other things to make day to day ops easier. The operation is still relatively new so lots of good things to come in the future. Very nice aircraft to operate and some nice routes. Flying into LCY is always fun.

D O Guerrero
30th Oct 2010, 19:28
Captain Widebody - perhaps it is you who has the wrong motivation? In the same thread you accuse those forced into paying for TRs as ruining your T&Cs but then criticise Sydney for trying to protect his.
You can't have your cheese sandwich and eat it you know...

Minchiarello
31st Oct 2010, 15:43
Hi , I am new on the thread, but I would like to ask if anyone knows something about BA Cityflyer selection ...

I am invited for a selection day between 8 and 11 of nov.:eek:

I did not expected it and now I have to hurry up to prepare myself...:{

Please Help...

dan1165
31st Oct 2010, 15:55
Well everybody got the same email :}

Dr Eckener
31st Oct 2010, 16:03
Minchiarello, I think you should re-read the email. It sounds like you got the generic MAY be invited notification, rather than an actual interview. If it were for a genuine interview you would have a specific date and time. Invites should go out next week. I realise English is not your first language, so an easy mistake to make.

Vulka
31st Oct 2010, 17:21
Capito si ? il sarcasmo...:rolleyes:

fredgrav
31st Oct 2010, 18:34
Hi Minchiarello,
Dr Eckener's right.
I'm italian and got the same mail too ... a couple days ago elected to phone BA and ask for further info about what I could have expected in the assessment. A girl just told me they were in the process of shortlisting people and that those excluded would have been considered for future selections in 2011. Anyway let you understand depending on what they decide to pursue your application further or not ... funnily enough it's like we meet the requirements to apply but not the flying experience to go on. ;)

Fredgrav

Leading_Edge_190
31st Oct 2010, 18:41
Despite minchiarello (http://minchiarello) mistake he does ask a valid question. Does anyone know what to expect on the selection day for those who are fortunate to get offered an interview.

It would be good to know what to prepare for. If you have info and would prefer not splash it all over this forum the please PM me.

Thanks

Leading_edge_190

ps goodluck to all the people fortunate to get shortlisted.

gdukkoq
1st Nov 2010, 15:44
Anyone got called or email yet ? Coming from Africa Airline tickets are very very expensive specially last minute...

jamesIST
1st Nov 2010, 16:04
Just got the call. Shall be attending the assessment day on Monday the 8th November. Good luck everyone !!

gdukkoq
1st Nov 2010, 16:22
Hey mate is it just call or also email ? Because I'm on a trip outside my base for the week, so my phone is not working here...

jamesIST
1st Nov 2010, 16:37
Just the call. Confirmation email sent shortly after.

Robby966
1st Nov 2010, 16:42
Well done JamesIST :D ......Did they say what's involved in the assessment???

Good luck :)

JW411
1st Nov 2010, 16:43
Aviation is, and always will be, all about who was there when the phone rang!

Drakestream
1st Nov 2010, 19:14
Has anyone else heard anything? I'm a Brit working overseas and have been flying all day today (still got one more sector to go!), so my phone is off. I've logged into the Cityflyer jobs site and my application status is still showing as active. It's a long journey back to Manchester from here, so it would be good to know either way!

sidney_young
1st Nov 2010, 19:25
I have not heard anything - no email or phone call!

Robby966
1st Nov 2010, 19:27
I've not heard anything either......

CHECHE
1st Nov 2010, 19:30
NOthing yet :{

SweetChariotXV
1st Nov 2010, 19:42
I've heard nothing from my side either... Keep the faith and good luck all!

Alexairway
1st Nov 2010, 20:44
Hope-as it is Sunday today they will start calling us from tomorrow and onwards.good luck to all of you :rolleyes:

manulepilote
1st Nov 2010, 22:58
hi and congrats JamesIST
Can you tell us by any chance how many hours you have , any TR or jet time, in order to know if its worth waiting a call or not with my experience , i think many people will love to know there requirement
thanks

gdukkoq
2nd Nov 2010, 07:04
Are you rated on type ? Because I would think they are calling rated candidate first.

jamesIST
2nd Nov 2010, 07:27
Hi guys,

Not rated on type. Around 1700 TT, most of which is made up of multi-crew jet time. Was just told the interview will consist of a competency based interview, group exercise and psychometric testing.

fade to grey
2nd Nov 2010, 08:58
Good luck to all going,
Got the call but can't make it as flying on the selection days...

james1013
2nd Nov 2010, 10:09
Folks - when do you think they'll hit the big "no thanks" button on their email? could it be as late as Friday@5? just wondered if anyone had a hunch, I can't stand not knowing either way.
:confused:

M33
2nd Nov 2010, 10:38
Dont give up yet, I think there are obviously two emails being returned to people, one with possible selection dates and the other:

Thank you for your interest in joining BA CityFlyer as First Officers E-Jet Series Aircraft. We will process your application as quickly as possible, please be patient in awaiting a response. You do not need to contact us at this stage.

My guess is thats me out of the running already, but with only 700TT 500ME I cant expect anything else in this market!

VNA Lotus
2nd Nov 2010, 10:55
Hey guys !

the phone number, is it under "unknown number" or something like that "+12345...."

thx

Emb190
2nd Nov 2010, 13:33
Two very good mates of mine got the call to interview today! Very pleased for them.:D
One has 600TT 150ME, other has 2000TT.

Good Luck to them and all the others.

Emb190

Burger81
2nd Nov 2010, 13:38
M33.

Can i ask when you got the email? Is that not just the confirmation email that BACF send out when they have recieved your application and its confirmed on their system?

Cheers,

Burger81

Eurocargo
2nd Nov 2010, 14:33
Hi guys!

Realized too late of this job!!
Is the application closed? On the website seems so... :ugh:

Robby966
2nd Nov 2010, 14:35
Hi Eurocargo,

Applications closed last Friday at 5pm....

gdukkoq
2nd Nov 2010, 14:38
wwwwwwwwwwwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiii pleeeeeeease call meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teddy Robinson
2nd Nov 2010, 15:21
I had an email, not an eagerly awaited call ... for a job on the same aircraft where I did not have to jump through hoops for the clownmaster... and for 3 times the pay.

Perhaps my comments belong on a PTF thread, but experience is the rule, and employers such as these should be at the recieving end of what the training industry should be about, self improvement to a compenent level, fit to command an airliner full of fare paying passengers from the right seat !!!!

Apologies if my remarks offended some who are desperate for a job, but the industry has to change back to being competence led rather than purely accountant led.... which means some people with minimum hours expecting a job as their right having to gain experience to justify their position, the resulting hard work, and a worthwhile career with a company worth working with .. rather than for.

To prostrate yourselves in front of a low paying employer asking you to jump through hoops whilst biting the pillow .. gives you the employer you deserve :eek:

Happy Wanderer
2nd Nov 2010, 15:23
Hi Eurocargo,

Applications closed last Friday at 5pm....

Just for clarity, applications closed at midday last Friday.

HW