PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Marshalling

Code89
5th Oct 2010, 20:27
g'day

may i know who does the job of aircraft marshalling at australian airports.

cheers

ampclamp
5th Oct 2010, 22:42
depends on who you work for.I have worked where customer service people/gate/ check-in staff did it normally with engineers backing them up and where only engineers or AME's did it.
Not sure it has a hard and fast rule.

AussieNick
5th Oct 2010, 23:10
Qantas have their engineers do it
Qlink have the cobham engineers do it
Jetstar and Virgin get the handelling agents (AeroCare, SkyStar, EGH)

Generally its the RSO's that do it, not the CSO's

airsupport
6th Oct 2010, 03:06
It varies from place to place, for most of my 40 years in the Industry it was always Engineers IF there, if at an Airport with no Engineer on duty, then the Traffic guys would do it.

Same thing with Australian aircraft outside of Australia, but you have to be careful, our aircraft was arriving at JFK NY one morning, guide lights were not working and so the aircraft stood off from the gate, so I just marshalled it in by hand signals as I always would in Australia, well what a drama :rolleyes: apparently you don't do that in the USA. :=

Worrals in the wilds
6th Oct 2010, 03:36
I did hear tell of an airport guy in north queensland marshalling an aircraft into the side of a hangar... which had another aircraft in it. No idea if it's true, but the whole thing sounded rather expensive :eek:.
At Virgin in the bigger ports it seems to be done by the Virgin dispatch person, is that correct?

Captain Nomad
6th Oct 2010, 04:08
Some of the mining ports have mining staff who provide marshalling, fuel services and runway light arrangements.

VH-XXX
6th Oct 2010, 06:24
From the sounds of it and given that you are a flight despatcher outside Australia, you might be best contacting the main airlines here and start from there, eg. Qantarse, Jetstar, Virgin and maybe Tiger.

Aside from the large airlines using their own staff, these jobs are generally done at the smaller airports by contractors, along with ground handling, baggage, checkin etc.

Jethro Gibbs
6th Oct 2010, 08:23
Who performs it in India ?

conflict alert
6th Oct 2010, 17:54
you need to pass this test first

YouTube - RAF Marshalling - BEST CLIPS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef7dI49fSrg)

or this one

YouTube - Funny Crew Chief Marshal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJt41xzfcQ)

Code89
6th Oct 2010, 21:27
talking about training....does the person doing this job has to be certified by CASA?

airsupport
6th Oct 2010, 22:21
does the person doing this job has to be certified by CASA?

NOT sure nowadays, but certainly not in all the decades I was in the Airlines, we just learnt to do it as part of the job. :ok:

Engineer_aus
7th Oct 2010, 01:07
Training, cough cough yea right. It's in the CASA reg's with lovely diagrams.

Peter Fanelli
7th Oct 2010, 02:34
apparently you don't do that in the USA.

Maybe it's not done at JFK but it is very common at other airports in the USA.

airsupport
7th Oct 2010, 04:43
Maybe it's not done at JFK but it is very common at other airports in the USA.

I assure you they got VERY upset with me, they wanted to fix the guide lights somehow while our aircraft stood off from the gate, then IF they couldn't fix it they expected one of their people to marshal it in, they did NOT appreciate an Aussie taking the initiative and just doing it, our Crew did, but NOT the Port Authority.