PDA

View Full Version : Sponoship/ scolorship? really.. How likely?

benPetrarca
5th Oct 2010, 19:04
I am 17 right now, doing AS physic/ electronics/maths "uses" / and applied science (not that important the last one). just wondering.. out of a 1 - 10 rating of 1 being no chance and 10 being, easy to get in.. If I was to get , C's in the first 3 how likely would it be to me getting in a training programme... and also how likely if i got A's...

Please, I am a bit concerned I am doing these A' levels with not much chance of getting "in".

Thanks,
ben!

EK4457
5th Oct 2010, 20:44
Have a look at GAPAN. They do one full sponsorship per year. As said above, chances are around the zero mark. Not wishing to put you off, somebody will win it, just managing your expectations.

As a British national, that's your lot I'm afraid. The only other realistic answer to your question is the military. Have you looked at this?

EK

benPetrarca
5th Oct 2010, 20:58
wow really? it is that bad.. so basically 99% of pilot pay for there training themselves.. its a lot of money not impossible to do, but a lot of work..

Also in question going through the RAF, yes, but not much detail on it, not sure if I have to be a fast jet pilot before becoming a commercial pilot.. if that is the case the laser eye surgery here I come.. life a bitch

benPetrarca
5th Oct 2010, 21:06
hehe, opening a massive question here, what is the best route then, I know ryanair and easyjet do, well what I thought was a scolorship i think that is it, where you get trained with them and then you pay them back over a certain amount of years working for them.. So how hard is it to get those places?

Dis.I.Like
5th Oct 2010, 21:22
Guess this explains the response I got yesterday.

benPetrarca
5th Oct 2010, 21:23
oh, did you apply for a place?

Dis.I.Like
5th Oct 2010, 21:29
Nope I haven't, was referring to something else, but never mind. And i'm not one to tell you what you should or shouldn't do since i'm the same age as you. Therefore i'll leave that to some of the other more knowledgeable members.

BTW i was advised against getting laser eye surgery by an employee of the RAF. He told me that there's no guaranteeing your eyesight doesn't deteriorate after a certain period of time.

benPetrarca
5th Oct 2010, 21:35
Ahh Fair enough, yea, I am a bit worried about this whole training thing, so I have asked about it here and emailed a few people...

benPetrarca
6th Oct 2010, 12:57
Thankyou, van, for such a informative reply, my eyes are not a issue,, but they will be with the RAF, also, big thanks you have given me a reason to do well in my A-levels.. And yes, I was planning on doing the whole save thing then, go for the license, I came into these A-levels thinking doing well would get me doing the training for free, but lifes a bith I suppose, but having a good job to fall back on i will need a-levels I suppose, so thankyou! You have given me reason to do well, I really needed that pick me up today!