PDA

View Full Version : BA Retrojet - Its Happened

DILLIGAFF
4th Oct 2010, 12:48
I was on nights last night at LHR and B757 G-CPET was in the paint bay being sprayed up in the original BA livery (The red tail one with just 'British' on the side.)
Apparently it is going to fly like this until it is WFU sometime in November. I could not get any photos as they are a bit tetchy about that. It looks really good, I was told it is being unveiled by Willie sometime today .
D

Skipness One Echo
4th Oct 2010, 13:08
Yes there is a thread on "another" site that's been running on this. G-CPET allegedly doing the old Shuttle routes in this scheme on Sat 30-Oct. I am soooo gonna book. Aside from the engines being wrong it's gonna look awesome.

Shame they didn't do this in the Spring but it would be churlish not to say that some good PR and marketing profile won't justify the cost of the paint. I guess it's not a full body respray but a touch up as the colours just about match the Union Flag scheme anyway.

Myrtle Avenue beckons !

Eddie_Crane
4th Oct 2010, 13:21
Will this be the airframe doing the 757 "Farewell flight" LHR-MAN-LHR with the "low panoramic overfly" of MAN, ATC and wx permitting, and champagne on board etc?

Skipness One Echo
4th Oct 2010, 15:30
User Photo (http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.file?id=39878&filename=phpOq1STG.jpeg)

The only differences are it doesn't have a ".... Castle" name, it has RB211-535E4s rather than '535Cs and there's an extra aerial on the rear fuselage.

Let's party like it's 1983!

Just a spotter
4th Oct 2010, 15:43
As a 'spotter'; it'll be nice to see a "Speedbird" back on a Speedbird!

:ok:

JAS

Avman
4th Oct 2010, 15:55
Personally, I'd rather see the old BEA cols from the sixties.

N707ZS
4th Oct 2010, 17:08
Looks just as naf as it did the first time. Wasn't the first of the last batch of 732s in this scheme but silver/grey were the white is?

WHBM
4th Oct 2010, 19:00
Maybe we can have the good old SuperShuttle cabin service on it on the Glasgow/Edinburgh run as well, proper 3-course steak dinner plus a bar service for all pax, served and cleared in about 45 minutes.

Malaysian28
4th Oct 2010, 19:13
Looks Good, must go down there and see it.:ok:

I've always liked the BA Landor livery, wished they did a retro of that.

PaperTiger
5th Oct 2010, 03:28
Wasn't the first of the last batch of 732s in this scheme but silver/grey were the white is?Yup, definite improvement.

Photos: Boeing 737-236/Adv Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Airways/Boeing-737-236-Adv/1321049/M/)

N707ZS
5th Oct 2010, 07:56
Thanks Paper Tiger.

AvWRup
5th Oct 2010, 10:26
There's more photos of Stokesay Castle on Av Week: Pictures: BA 757 retrojet breaks cover (http://bit.ly/ajxtrw)

Well done BA! :ok:

DILLIGAFF
5th Oct 2010, 10:33
Skipness, it does have a castle name on it now drove past it last night couldn't read what it is .For info it is doing a LHR-MAD-LHR returning as BA457 ETA 1400L might try and get down to Myrtle Ave if they are landing on 27L.
D

AvWRup
5th Oct 2010, 10:44
It's called Stokesay Castle - after the castle in Ludlow.

airsmiles
5th Oct 2010, 12:40
What a huge disappointment

1) it's not a retro livery at all but a modern one

2) it's their worst scheme by far (British what? for #### sake!)

3) given the above, it might be a blessing, but why do this for a few months when other airlines do this as a permanent way of reminding passengers of their heritage?

I know it's a very subjective thing but to me it's a huge wasted opportunity.

PaperTiger
5th Oct 2010, 14:05
it's their worst scheme by farAgree; this (http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/photos/big/00007574.jpg) however would be worth seeing.

LowFareFinder
5th Oct 2010, 14:25
The BOAC livery was done on one of their old 747-100 just before it was retired to be scrapped in 1998:

Photos: Boeing 747-136 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/065702/L/)

barry lloyd
5th Oct 2010, 15:59
KLM made a far better job with their retro scheme on the 737. I doubt that the average passenger will even notice - what a waste of money!

trident3A
5th Oct 2010, 19:53
Wow this makes me feel old, I remember seeing the first BA ones in the 1980s - great looking aircraft.

Flightrider
5th Oct 2010, 20:34
For all the criticism levied at BA here:

1/ This is the first time in about 10 years that BA has shown any interest in, or recognition of, its heritage. That in itself should be applauded, particularly given the crimes committed at Cosford a few years ago and concerns about the dilapidating state of the Concorde at Heathrow.

2/ The scheme is that which the 757s first entered service, so is absolutely relevant to the type. Painting the aircraft in Negus (which I personally think is the best scheme they've ever had and that the current scheme is basically a rip-off of it anyway, but there you go) is historically accurate.

3/ Naming the aircraft - with a unique name - is also very apt. Well done to whoever thought to add that finishing touch.

I think that what they've done is great and looks great. I just hope to get the opportunity to see it before it goes. BA, and more specifically, the few individuals in BA who have no doubt had to push hard to make this happen, ought to be given credit for their efforts.

Phileas Fogg
5th Oct 2010, 20:51
Reminds me of British Air Ferries who copycatted the 'British' on their fleet.

Capetonian
5th Oct 2010, 20:58
It looks great....... but what happened to the beautiful Trident that was outside the building (Europa House?) near the the aircraft crossing at Hatton Cross?

Nothing beats the sight of the VC10 in BOAC livery though (or EAA).

WHBM
5th Oct 2010, 21:04
For all the criticism levied at BA here
I don't think there is a lot; it's just some suggestions about making things even better.

BA's problem is that as a name it doesn't have a lot of heritage, only dating from 1974 (as a brand it's only 10 years older than Virgin Atlantic), whereas the other much older liveries mentioned above can have a name which the modern passenger (as opposed to an aviation history buff) can still understand. Apart from this select group nobody now has any memory of BOAC, or BEA, or Imperial, so you don't get the recognition of it from all those looking out from the gate.

So it is an authentic first-generation BA livery, nicely done. No OneWorld logo, no big website address down the side.

Capetonian
5th Oct 2010, 21:08
Surely the biggest mistake in BA's history was Robert Ayling's decision to waste £12 million painting the aircraft so that they looked like something the cat had sicked up. The idea was to move away from the idea of British Airways being a British airline, but rather, a global one.

To put it more simply, perhaps the biggest mistake in BA's history was Robert Ayling.

WHBM
5th Oct 2010, 21:20
Surely the biggest mistake in BA's history was Robert Ayling's decision to waste £12 million painting the aircraft so that they looked like something the cat had sicked up. The idea was to move away from the idea of British Airways being a British airline, but rather, a global one.
No, I liked it a lot, the concept, how it was done, and what it represented. It was always interesting to see what today's one was, and I think a fair number of others liked it as well and were disappointed at the reaction. What we have today is just one of the many variations of it. And regarding Robert Ayling's strategies, he had far more successes than most in expanding BA's horizons. The multicolour tails, Go, kicking off OneWorld, you name it. Not what you expect from a lawyer at all. Yes, I know that his personality was an issue for many who met him, but the ideas were expansive and he encouraged the team to develop them in a way we have not seen since.

Regarding "what the cat did" mentioned above, exactly the same was initially said (literally) about Braniff's late-1960s innovative scheme (every aircraft a different overall colour), which was a great success for them.

Flightrider
5th Oct 2010, 21:28
Surely the biggest mistake in BA's history was Robert Ayling's decision to waste £12 million painting the aircraft so that they looked like something the cat had sicked up.

I disagree too. The principle was a good one and if the designs had been slightly more conservative (or should I say Conservative?) then I think it would have worked. The Scottish tartan, Irish dove, Celtic Rose and others were actually quite good schemes but it got seriously out of hand in one or two instances (Whale Rider and Nami Tsuru spring to mind) which I suspect de-railed the whole concept. Had the idea been implemented in a more moderate way, I see no reason why it couldn't still be present today.

And I disagree on one other count. Eddington had the timing on his side to achieve a lot, and failed dismally. Ayling actually moved the airline forward quite a long way during his tenure.

Phileas Fogg
5th Oct 2010, 21:53
I can recall 'Braniff' Concorde(s), if my memory serves me correct, temporarily 'N' registered, no prizes for guessing the colour :)

With Braniff, I recall, it was different types by colour, i.e. B747 fleet orange, as opposed to a different colour for every aircraft

beamender99
5th Oct 2010, 23:29
Surely the biggest mistake in BA's history was Robert Ayling's decision to waste £12 million painting the aircraft so that they looked like something the cat had sicked up. I totally agree.
Throwing away good advertising space.
What part of the aircraft do you most easily see when at an airport or under a flight path like West London?
In addition this rubbish was plastered on everything, Screensavers, business cards etc etc. A total waste of time and a lot of money but those at the top would not listen.

Phileas Fogg
6th Oct 2010, 00:27
When boarding via an airbridge one doesn't even see the fuselage.

One time I was flying AF BHX/CDG believing it to be a Cityjet BAe146, seating config the same but, once seated, I looked out of the window asking myself "Where the phuck are the engines, indeed the wings?", it was only by pulling out the emergency card I appreciated I was actually sitting on a Blueline MD80 something!

PaperTiger
6th Oct 2010, 02:56
One more vote for the World Tails :ok: .

Yes, one or two were a bit garish but a brilliant concept which was killed not by widespread (or former PM) disapproval but by the cost.

airsmiles
6th Oct 2010, 05:32
The scheme is that which the 757s first entered service

I thought the whole point of a retro scheme is to paint the aircraft into a scheme that pre-dated that types period of operation. How many other airlines retro schemes were actually used on the relevant aircraft when it entered service?

May be the answer to BA's choice is that it's ashamed of its BOAC/BEA past?

pax britanica
6th Oct 2010, 05:57
Well done BA , and presumeably well done WW. Two good decsions in a month , this one and Captain B so perhaps behind the hard bastard CEO image is still a spark of the young man who wanted to fly airliners.

As to the livery it has to be this one , as others have said it is the right liverly for when the lovely 75 arrived and it looks great in it and of course it goes back to the day when memories of BEA/Short Haul were not far distant and in BA service the 75 was very much part of that operation, Suggestions of it being in BOAC livery would be ridiculous.( Maybe should have done that on the first 777-300?)

Moving onto Mr Ayling , it was a stupid decsion on the tails , diluted the brand done one the scale he chose. Had they just picked a few aircraft for the idea witha few key markets represented it would I think have worked well, all the positives and no negatives. Also he broke the Boeing stranglehold on BA by going for the A320 which from a passenger ' point of view is much much better than the 737 with more elebow room and beettr cabin ergonomics so he wasnt a complete idiot.

Driving by LHR today and maybe I will be lucky and get a glimpse-shame terminal 2 isnt still around ( not as a user of course) BAA could have organised a Euro retro day and turned the clock back even further.

PB

crewmeal
6th Oct 2010, 06:11
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Neville Chamberlain waived his famous 'Munich' document back in 1938, didn't he get off a British Airways aircraft at Heston?

Neville Chamberlain 'peace for our time' flight ticket to 1938 meeting with Hitler in Munich goes under the hammer | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241110/Neville-Chamberlain-peace-time-flight-ticket-1938-meeting-Hitler-Munich-goes-hammer.html)

I suppose in those days the logo wasn't much to look at.

vserian
6th Oct 2010, 06:18
Very nice and well done BA, :ok:

Does anyone knows if the bird is still there?
I am flying out from LHR today , need to get a snap of that 757 into my collection.

renfrew
6th Oct 2010, 08:15
crewmeal,
Yes, it was British Airways but a different company which merged with Imperial Airways in 1940 to become BOAC.
I agree with WHBM above that BA almost seem ashamed of their history which dates back to 1919.

Groundloop
6th Oct 2010, 09:47
No, I liked it a lot, the concept, how it was done, and what it represented. It was always interesting to see what today's one was, and I think a fair number of others liked it as well and were disappointed at the reaction.

But, as a corporate branding, it was TERRIBLE! I flew into Gatwick once from Boston and, as we taxied past the North Terminal, there was a line up of BA aircraft. Three of them (coincidence?) had the same World Scheme tail. There was an American family sitting behind me. One said "That's a colourful airline - what is it?". The mother replied "I don't know - but it must be Caribbean". That is why it was a complete and utter marketing disaster. Most people, particularly from outside the UK, had absolutely no idea what airline it was.

WHBM
6th Oct 2010, 09:48
Yes, it was British Airways but a different company which merged with Imperial Airways in 1940 to become BOAC..
To be precise it is the same company. When the "old" British Airways was merged up into BOAC in 1940, the company name was retained as a dormant company by the legal department. 33 years later it was still available, and was used to merge BEA and BOAC into.

Chamberlain's "Peace in our time" speech was actually given in front of Downing Street, but the waving of the piece of paper did take place at Heston, in front of his chartered British Airways Lockheed 14 G-AFGR. This had no livery at all, being unpainted aluminium.

Enough of history, back to Stokesay Castle.

airsmiles
6th Oct 2010, 10:36
Also he broke the Boeing stranglehold on BA by going for the A320 which from a passenger ' point of view is much much better than the 737 with more elebow room and beettr cabin ergonomics so he wasnt a complete idiot.

He went on record saying it came down to the price Airbus offered versus Boeings and "it wasn't a very difficult decision at all". It's just hard airline economics as it always is. It was Airbus that broke the Boeing stranglehold at BA and not Ayling.

PaperTiger
6th Oct 2010, 12:34
Suggestions of it being in BOAC livery would be ridiculous.
But pretty :) . I suppose you also think the US Airways' throwback 'buses (PSA, Piedmont, Allegheny) are "ridiculous" ?

Chacun à son goût...
...it was a stupid decsion on the tails , diluted the brand...
BA became the most talked-about airline - some good, some bad - but that's what brand recognition is all about surely.

ibid.

Skipness One Echo
6th Oct 2010, 13:11
But pretty . I suppose you also think the US Airways' throwback 'buses (PSA, Piedmont, Allegheny) are "ridiculous" ?

Well it would make more sense to have a BOAC aircraft flying to places that BOAC used to serve. That in the main was long haul so the ideal would be a B747, B767 or B777.

EGGP
6th Oct 2010, 15:05
Capetonian

"It looks great....... but what happened to the beautiful Trident that was outside the building (Europa House?) near the the aircraft crossing at Hatton Cross?"

It's at the runway viewing park in Manchester

Manchester Airport Spotting (http://manchesterspotting.t83.net/#/aviation-viewing-park/4532942897)

Photos: Hawker Siddeley HS-121 Trident 3B Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/BEA---British/Hawker-Siddeley-HS-121/1569387/L/&sid=b8e512da0325545ad28d41f9e2b57e16)

Photos: Hawker Siddeley HS-121 Trident 3B Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/BEA---British/Hawker-Siddeley-HS-121/1785507/L/&sid=b8e512da0325545ad28d41f9e2b57e16)

It's in very nice condition including the flight deck. You can even have a look round inside.

Capetonian
7th Oct 2010, 11:25
Thank you EGGP, I shall make a point of visiting Manchester Airport when next in the area.

Evanelpus
7th Oct 2010, 11:54
Thank you EGGP, I shall make a point of visiting Manchester Airport when next in the area.

Take plenty of money for parking, those Northern barstewards rob you blind to park your car at the AVP!

avionic type
27th Oct 2010, 23:39
I thank B.A for giving me a chance to revive old memories of the 757 I grew to love having serviced it from 1982 to 1994 from Tech 1 in the Central Area at London Airport [thank goodness I retired before the ethnic tails came in ]it was a lovely aircraft to work on, it had its problemes like all aircraft especially on cold ,wet nights but it was the first "all glass" cockpit in BA I worked on well ahead of its time . Goodbye old friend I'll miss you.
All my 757s are now still going strong with D.H.L.:O:O:O.

vctenderness
28th Oct 2010, 15:02

To put it more simply, perhaps the biggest mistake in BA's history was Robert Ayling.
The interesting thing about the whole 'World Tails' episode is that it was probably Ayling's wife who came up with the idea!

She was (is) a renowned textile designer and had her work exhibited in many places around the world.

I met her once and she was far from what you would expect as Bob Ayling's missus - she was very 'avante garde' almost a hippy and very pleasant.

I think she said ' go on Bob let me have a go' the rest is history......:ooh:

Evanelpus
29th Oct 2010, 11:00
She was (is) a renowned textile designer and had her work exhibited in many places around the world.

She most certainly did after the World Tails were done.....clever girl!

LAS1997
30th Oct 2010, 10:25
It is certainly nice to see the 757 in the Negus colour scheme. I am just so dissapointed that the Ian Allan charter of the 757 scheduled for November 6th was cancelled due to lack of seat sales. I remember the 757 coming into service with BA back in 1983 and over the years have enjoyed flying in them as a passenger. I decided to book a seat on this historic flight back in August. At £225.00 a seat for the 40 minute Champagne trip ex-Heathrow it was a bit expensive; but decided to do it anyway. How sad I was to receive an email from Ian Allan stating that due to lack of seat sales the flight was cancelled. Perhaps if they had offered seats at £125.00 each they may have filled the flight; but Ian Allan stated that it was BA who were charging a lot for the charter. A missed opportunity in my view; BA could have made a lot of publicity out of the event if only they charged a fair price.:{

snooky
30th Oct 2010, 19:23
PET should be touching down on her last shuttle from EDI in half an hour, marking the end of an era at BA.

I understand that it may well be a while before she leaves LHR for a new life as s freighter, and anyone passing on the A30 should get a good view of the retro paint scheme.

Malaysian28
2nd Nov 2010, 19:44
Video from Youtube

YouTube - On board British Airways' last Boeing 757 flights (G-CPET) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLF7i4mIVfM)

trident3A
13th Sep 2011, 09:58
This ex BA 757 arrived at Heathrow today - I wonder does anyone know what for?

http://www.heathrowcam.net/images/145977w.JPG

Groundloop
13th Sep 2011, 10:10
It's not ex-BA, it's operated by the BA subsiduary OpenSkies.

Home - OpenSkies (http://www.flyopenskies.com/en/home.html)

Probably in LHR for maintenance.

trident3A
13th Sep 2011, 10:25
Ah right thanks

Off Stand
13th Sep 2011, 13:00
If you want to be picky, that Open Skies a/c actually IS an ex BA B757, but was transferred to EC when the airline started up.

ZOOKER
13th Sep 2011, 16:28
Malaysian 28,
thanks for the link to the video of the 757's final flights.

On the way down from EGPH to EGLL, I was fortunate enough to be doing radar on the low-level Manchester sectors, (although now situated at the New Prestwick Centre) though which G-CPET passed. They were by then cruising at FL170 and asked to go lower for some sightseeing, allegedly trying to find Stokesay Castle. As the airspace was very quiet we descended SHT9C to FL90 around Preston, and it flew all the way to Bovingdon, via Manchester, Stafford and Birmingham), at that level, which was the lowest available at BNN. It was spotted from EGCC and EGBB towers and flashed its landing lights as it went past.
Just by chance, the Planning controller working with me was a Geordie, with an aeronautical engineering degree to boot.
Looking at the registration, I convinced him to wish the crew "Auf Wiedersehen Pet", and we both said a very sad good-bye to an aircraft type which, was not only a very elegant design, but who's performance fitted in well with the demands of the busy UK ATC system.

It would be interesting to see the 757 in the 1970's BEA livery, with the half Union Jack and a pair of red wings.

rog747
9th Jun 2013, 19:42
superb video, thanks On board British Airways' last Boeing 757 flights (G-CPET) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/JLF7i4mIVfM)

loved the 757
first saw them at T1 when working for BMA on the bravo pier

my first flight was on g-bikf a BA 757-236 leased to Air Europe in july 1983 from LGW - IBZ
Photos: Boeing 757-236 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Europe-(British/Boeing-757-236/0782654/L/&sid=add34aa129e9631248fb5212188d58df)

always loved the 757 when working for Monarch at LGW in 1985 onwards
with KT

will miss them in the BA fleet and i guess the BA RR engined 767-336 will be next to go
:{