PDA

View Full Version : Video streaming

The late XV105
4th Oct 2010, 10:10
My wife streams HD video from our NAS to her Eee PC netbook.

Done via Gigabit network it streams faultlessly, but despite early good signs it streams erratically via the "Up to 200Mbps" Homeplugs that I used as an easy way of getting a cabled network to her study; connection is across rings and performance varies wildly between 30Mbps and 180Mbps depending on sources of electrical interference. We still use Homeplugs with complete reliability to feed the second wireless access point (in the roof) that covers the garden, but we don't stream HD video over them.

Before I invest considerable time in running an out-of-sight Gigabit cable for her (which the purist in me actually prefers), I thought I'd ask here for experience with 802.11N as an alternative. Some info I have found indicates it may work. 802.11G experience with a BT Home Hub in the same physical location as I would mount a replacement shows the signal path to be strong and of high quality. The Netbook already has an Atheros 802.11N card installed.

TVM,
XV

Mike-Bracknell
4th Oct 2010, 20:34
You'll get between 130-260mbit/s with 802.11n (dependent upon how the radios are used).

Currently i'm sat in the spare room/study with an 802.11n router downstairs and am getting an indicated 130mbit/s. It usually sits at that speed for the majority of the house and environs for me.

Certainly better than the earlier homeplugs for me for throughput. I'd get yourself an N-wifi irrespective of if you need it for video streaming, as it also makes websurfing page latency a lot nicer and is a good investment whatever the case :)

Mr Optimistic
4th Oct 2010, 20:41
Owing to pressure from offspring I just bought a draft n adsl router in the hope of getting better wireless coverage. While it is MUCH better than the old Thomson one (3-5 bars rather than 1 - how's that for science), it can't seem to do big downloads without stalling (eg 90M/B). Only had it a few days so the jury is out. However, as said above, it is also much faster loading pages and worth the upgrade just for that.

Note that this is in a thatched cottage with a bird wire faraday cage to complicate matters.

Think it is worth a go (I got a dlink dsl 2740-r based on magazine reviews).

The late XV105
4th Oct 2010, 21:07
Thanks, Both. :ok:
I'll do some research on N models and include the DLINK DSL 2740-R.

XV

Mike-Bracknell
7th Oct 2010, 10:43
Mr Optimistic - always upgrade your router to the latest firmware if you get issues like this. If you've done that and it still screws up, check the updates on your laptop and then call tech support. :ok:

bnt
7th Oct 2010, 12:48
One think I've found helpful, too, is to use a video player with a decent buffer. I use VLC on both Windows and Linux, and majorly bump up the buffer time, when playing video over WiFi from a somewhat iffy NAS drive. The video takes longer to start but is more reliable when it gets going.

Mr Optimistic
9th Oct 2010, 21:29
OK, will do. Seems good otherwise. Oddly, looking at the stats, it reports a worse line condition than the old router( 56 db attenuation rather than 53 -but so what), but holds the snr better than the old router (the old one quickly slipped from 20 db to 12db whereas this one sticks above 18db). Can you think of a reason for this (I am on a fixed 2Mb connection).

Daughter much happier with connection to her room, just that my son trying 90 MB (f'ing WoW download) couldn't hold the transfer.