PDA

View Full Version : Turboprop interview, any tech tips?

CallYouEstablished
4th Oct 2010, 10:02
Hi guys

Going for a turboprop interview soon with a freight company, and I am currently not type rated. Does anyone hav any experience on what type of technical questions a turboprop carrier typically focus on?

thx

mad_jock
4th Oct 2010, 10:43
Tail Icing
Icing in general.
Critical Engines.
Prop theory.

EW73
4th Oct 2010, 10:47
Yeah...I'd agree those last two especially, and also cover blade angle control and pitchlock theory.

The worst thing that can happen to you in a turboprop airplane is loss of control of the prop!

That's from my P3 days...

EW73

CallYouEstablished
4th Oct 2010, 14:24
Thanks guys! Icing and critical engine was high on my list too. But Pitchlock theory? Never heard of it:confused:

could anyone please explain?

mad_jock
4th Oct 2010, 14:32
You won't either its a particular type of engine that suffers from it.

I don't have a clue either about it. But have heard many a war story from electra pilots on the subject.

If you need to know about it you will be taught about it in your type rating.

The CT7's don't suffer from it. ;-)

BAe have some good winter ops training on icing which I think is on the web somewhere. And so does NASA.

O aye and if they ask which wing section is more prone to icing, fat/thick or thin. The answer is fat/thick, I have forgotten the reason why but if you remember DC3's have fat section wings and don't have de-icing boots.

Piltdown Man
4th Oct 2010, 22:38
A real operator probably won't give a stuff about your technical knowledge. Your licence shows you can learn what you need to know. It's all very academic and will almost certainly not apply to a whatever this particular operator flies. I've attended a five turbo-prop interviews over the years and the only thing that the interviews had in common was their focus on me as a person. Just make sure you have a wash and polish your shoes before the interview.

PM