PDA

View Full Version : Cystoscopy (scared please help)

AI101
3rd Oct 2010, 15:51
Hi guys,

On my last medical the ame found blood traces on the dip stick and asked me to get a microscopy of the blood done.

I had this done with my gp and the results showed red blood cells and some bacteria cells and because I also have had a kidney stone which passed 2 and half years ago my gp has sent me to see a urologist I have now found out that when I go to him I have also been booked into have a flexible cystoscopy.

I am really worried why they have already booked me in for this without even seeing me any clues or if anyone had this before and what is the reason for having blood in my urine (not visible to the eye).

Would really help if anyone help

Need money
3rd Oct 2010, 16:14
Blood in urine can be a number of reasons from nothing (I know of people get blood clots for example with some remaining specs of blood from over exercise !) to something else ie: damage from passing a stone.

The fear of the Cystoscopy if far worse than the procedure itself - I have had about 4.

The Cystoscopy itself allows the Urologist to check all the way from "exit" - to bladder via the Urethra (via a camera which I was able to watch on a big screen) for any obvious problems, blockages or other.

Its relatively painless, but uncomfortable (and mentally challenging to get over what they are doing) - but they use a local anisthetic gel that deadens any pain.

You will probably experince a mild stinging and discomfort afer the procedure for about 5 mins then it goes.

They will tell you if they find anything there and then...or may require further tests ie: CT Scan / Ultrasound etc to check for other issues (ie: more stones)

Dont try and second guess the issue - you will worry yourself completely unnecessarily - the doctors will sort it.

Spitoon
3rd Oct 2010, 16:19
Not a medico so I can't help to explain potential causes for the blood traces but I gather whilst a significant number of cases can be put down to quite benign causes, some are more worrisome and the earlier caught, the easier treated.

For myself, many years ago I had visible traces of blood in my urine and went through a similar process (although cystoscopes were not flexible in those days). Without going into medical details, I've had many cystoscopies since so I hope the following words - based on my experience - might help.

A cystoscopy these days is uncomfortable but nothing worse. You'll probably have a local/surface anaesthetic applied - this is a gel squirted into the urethra. It's an odd sensation, akin to having a cold pee backwards (I really can't think of any other way to describe it). Sometimes you'll get a second dose 10 minutes later. Then they'll leave you alone for another 10 or 20 minutes during which things go numb. The examination takes just a few minutes. Slipping the cystoscope in is, again, an odd sensation but only because you're not used to it rather than anything else. The doctor can fill your bladder with water or whatever during the examination and then you'll want a pee when it's over - in my experience they always do this so I guess it helps with the examination.

It's all done in a reclining chair with your legs up in stirrups - GF now thinks I should be more sympathetic for some of her visits to the doc. It stings a bit when you have a pee for a few hours - maybe up to a couple of days depending how ham-fisted the doc was - afterwards. But after a couple of days everything is back to normal.

Maybe the doc can give you something to ease your nerves - most seem happy to do this if asked (cystoscopy doesn't bother me but there's something else they do to me sometimes and I really want to not care!).

Hope this puts your mind at rest to an extent - feel free to PM me if you have any questions that I might be able to answer.

AI101
3rd Oct 2010, 16:41
Thanks for the quick replys guys just wanted to know if can go back to flying or need to wait anytime after having the cystoscopy. And also if it is damage from earlier stone does that mean it can be sorted or say good bye to my class one

Need money
3rd Oct 2010, 16:59
You wouldn't need to wait long (maybe a day) after cystoscopy just to make sure it all settles down, no pain remaining etc - and depending what they might / might not find !

No - its not goodbye to Class 1 if its damage from earlier stones - but lets not second guess.

I am sure you aware stones recur in a high % of cases where you have prior experience, and as part of your Class 1 you have to prove at year 5 & 7 from first appearance that you remain clear.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Oct 2010, 17:41
I've had blood (invisible) in my urine for many, many years. When it was first discovered by the AME some 20 years ago he told me to see my GP who arranged for some fairly complex x-rays. These revealed nothing so it was a cystoscopy next. I was scared.... but it really was a doddle. My biggest problem was trying to convince the nurse in attendance that it was the fear causing me to look like a midget!! Job done in 5-10 mins. Urologist explained there were no stones or cancer. He said why I get blood in my urine but, basically it was nothing to be concerned about. I continued to get my Class 1 medical every until I retired 8 years ago - and I'm still here (apparently).

beany
3rd Oct 2010, 19:39
Cystoscopy is a routine, safe and generally very well tolerated procedure. The thought of it is usually much worse than the real thing. Please don't worry, mind over matter and all that...........

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on.

B :ok:

mmciau
3rd Oct 2010, 21:21
It was one of the checks I had while I was being assessed about my Prostate. It was to satisfy the Urologist that my Bladder and Urethra were OK.

Didn't feel a thing!!

Mike

gingernut
5th Oct 2010, 19:24
In a chap your age, it's extremely unlikely that there is anything too serious going on here.

Your GP, however, is faced with a patient with a persistent sign that should now be investigated.

I'm assuming that infection has been excluded, and a blood test of your renal function is normal.

It sounds like your GP's actions are reasonable. The procedure is relatively (actually very) safe in someone your age, and will hopefully give you some answers through exclusion. And shut your AME up .

I'd be scared to, but by the time said doc has bored you with the tale of how he had a good time in The Bahamas, the procedure will be over with.:)

Corporate Yank
6th Oct 2010, 02:43
Been there, done that, have the tee shirt and the underware. No big deal. Just think "happy thoughts", like blue skies, puffy little white clouds, all engines still running smoothly. If you're lucky, a couple of cute young nurses will hold your hand. Next day, go to your favorite pub and consume vast quantities of youir favorite brewed beverage. You need to flush the magnificient beast out. You will dance around a bit (Michael Flatley isn't the only guy who can do the riverdance.) But if you get stupid enough, you won't notice it. Good luck and pee straight.

CY

AI101
7th Oct 2010, 16:19
Hi Guys
Went to the uro today and had the ct scan and a cystoscopy done the uro has said the ct scan and cystoscopy results were normal and nothing was found and discharged me back to my GP.
However also had a urine sample taken and it still shows microscopic blood any idea if this will be ok with the AME to still let mr fly (only asking because my AME is not going to be Avila until tue next week.

Once again thanks for all the help earlier to everyone who posted.

Dawdler
8th Oct 2010, 00:34
Glad you survived. I've been there and done that. Just wait until they want to do a biopsy of your prostrate. (They take TEN samples). BTW, the worse part is the extraction of the device.

rjtjrt
8th Oct 2010, 00:37
AI101
Probably a good idea to post how the experience was compared to what you feared, so others aren't frightened off in the future.
John

gingernut
8th Oct 2010, 20:25
ct scan and cystoscopy results were normal and nothing was found and discharged me back to my GP

Sounds like all the tests were reassuring. You could push your GP for a renal opinion if you felt it was needed, (depending on the results of the CT scan it probably won't be needed.)

Is it an artefact?
Could there be a friction issue?

scarrymike
23rd Oct 2010, 20:52
When I was younger.... One of my checks revealed a little blood in my urine. One of the questions my doc asked was - if I worked out really hard as in long runs and such. The previous day I had worked out hard and he said it was probably that. He asked me to come back and give a sample in two weeks and again in six weeks. No blood either time. Of course I did not work out for a few days before I gave the new samples.

Guest 112233
1st Nov 2010, 15:06
Having had this year, both a flexable and ridgid cytoscopy (under a general anesthetic - day surgery), The only real problems are those already covered.

Astmatics can have problems (I'm one) - An indicator is an alergy to eggs.

I think the rate at which you recover is related to your general health and your age. No surprises here.

Remember its the emotional burden that really takes the life out of you. Waiting for the results is hard

If you are a professional pilot or engineer or other avaition person (i'm not) - I would imagine that your general quality of life and expectations; will see you through the process.

For me it was the good news that my symptoms were not bladder cancer, made the process worthwhile.

CAT III

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Nov 2010, 16:46
<<However also had a urine sample taken and it still shows microscopic blood any idea if this will be ok with the AME to still let mr fly (only asking because my AME is not going to be Avila until tue next week.>>

See my posting #6. If the tests proved negative your AME should accept the results without question - mine did.

driftdown
6th Nov 2010, 15:56
I had the same problem a few years ago and after a kidney ultrasound, cytoscopy etc the Consultant diagnosed micro-haematuria (sp?).

I passed his letter onto the CAA and they replied with with a no objection to a Class 1 medical.

As far as the cytoscopy was concerned thinking about it was worse than the procedure.

ffhd1clt
16th May 2013, 15:36
I wanted to say thank you for posting this, and to those who responded as well. I realize your post is several years old, but it came up when I did my search. Today is May 16, 2013, and I just returned from the doctor's office. I had a kidney stone back in the fall, and now they say I have trace amounts (microscopic) of blood in my urine. The doctor told me about the cystoscopy, and he freaked me out when he said the cancer word. In fact, I found him again after he left the exam room, and told him I was freaked out. He made me feel a bit better by saying he didn't think it was cancer, but he said this exam is to rule it out, and that he feels the need to tell people it's a possibility. I suppose I agree with his approach, but I feel even better now that I know I'm not the only one who has these feelings. You never know who you might influence by your words, so again, thanks for helping me calm down a bit. The procedure is 2 weeks away, and I want to try and forget about it until then. All the best to all of you.

rudderleft
17th May 2013, 07:55
Please try not to worry. There are many reasons for having blood in the urine and bladder cancer is extremely rare. Like the others on here, I've had the procedure done several times and it's really nothing to fear (although I'm a woman so it was slightly less complicated in my case ;-)). They let you look on the screen at the inside of your bladder, which is fascinating and takes your mind off any mild discomfort. All the very best to you!