PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 emails

sky9
3rd Oct 2010, 14:35
I have just installed W7 after using XP for years and can no longer use outlook express. The Windows Live email programme I really don't like as it appears to be more involved in getting the user integrated into Micorsoft world rather than downloading emails. In particular I have found getting my address boook downloaded a nightmare.
Any advice, is there any simple email programme around without all the bells and whistles and an easy to use address book?

Loose rivets
3rd Oct 2010, 14:44
Thunderbird seems good. But...You need the soft wherever you are. G-Mail it seems, does not. I haven't tried the latter yet.

Oh, you are using FireFox are you not?

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Oct 2010, 14:45
I'm sure one of the threads on this was quite recent. The simple answer was nearer to "no" than "yes". The complicated answer is complicated, look up the previous thread.

Lancelot37
3rd Oct 2010, 17:19
Download Thunderbird then go their website and it will show you how to set it up and transfer your email addresses. If an old man can do it you can!

BEagle
3rd Oct 2010, 17:31
Unfortunately the Micro$oft geeks decided that the useless POS termed 'Windows Live Mail' would be the so-called replacement for Outlook Express, so OE won't work with Windows 7.

See Windows Live Mail Hate - 83% People Agree (96 opinions) (http://amplicate.com/hate/windows-live-mail) for opinions about the rubbish 'Windows Live' hippy-village 'share everything with everybody' cr@p which Micro$oft seems to expect everyone to use now....

Only other options are:

Outlook (which isn't free, of course)
A non-Micro$oft e-mail system

I cannot believe that Micro$oft were such complete and utter idiots as to turn their back on the quick and simple Outlook Express....:( They have alienated thousands of customers as a result.

The only options are to

islander539
3rd Oct 2010, 17:46
Apparently Windows 7 contains an email program called windows mail. It is definitely there but not activated. I have been trying to find out how it can be activated without much success. It would be interesting to see just what this program is. Has anyone ideas about this?

sky9
3rd Oct 2010, 17:59
Thanks everyone, I found the other thread and managed to sort things out on Windows Live Mail.

Things are so much easier when you realise that clicking a button on the bottom left changes the headings in the task bar :ugh:. Now I have imported my addresses I will persevere with Livemail for a while.

As a matter of interest I decided to upgrade my hard disc at the same time as installing W7. Having gone down a few blind alleys I eventually loaded WXP on the new hard disc with the internet turned off, then did a clean install of 7 over the top. It was just as well I followed the advice and backed everything up. I hadn't twigged that a clean install actually cleans (formats) the disc in the process.:hmm:

After a frustrating day I now have W7 on a 1.5GB hard disc all for £57 or thereabouts.

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Oct 2010, 18:00
Only other options are:

Outlook (which isn't free, of course)
No, Outlook isn't an option, it doesn't do news.