PDA

View Full Version : Running after permits

Cecco
2nd Oct 2010, 08:41
Hi to all, Iīm on my 5th Africatrip in a C525. The biggest hassle is that some permits come in in the last second or come in later after the planned EOBT, itīs nerve-wrecking! The whole trip is organised by a dispatch company but still it feels uncomfortable sometimes not knowing until one hour before if you can go or not. Any experiences on that subject would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Cecco

Cloudbouncer
2nd Oct 2010, 16:53
Welcome to Africa my friend, Africa runs at its own steam, not at a European pace. If you learn to accept that you will succeed in Africa.

Cecco
3rd Oct 2010, 07:59
I know that, after all, itīs my 5th 2-weeks-tour in Africa. I, for sure, accept the pace of Africa. To get that sort of problem across to the Pax, however, is another issue...I would still be interested to hear of experiences of others!

9jarep
4th Oct 2010, 13:27
Have you Tried using Hadid International Aviation Service ?? give them three weeks notice of you Itinerary i am sure you would get positive feed back i used then some years back they were good then they should be better now

Taillet
4th Oct 2010, 14:19
Continental Jet Services based in the UAE. Permits obtained within 48 hrs.:ok:

Habari
4th Oct 2010, 14:27
Give Hadid a miss. Have had very bad service from them in Dubai.
We use Jepp in the UK, find them very quick and reliable.
Jepp can't get Sudan permits due sanctions, but very good for all other African countries

Cecco
4th Oct 2010, 14:59
3 weeks notice...itīs more like 3-5 days notice with business appointments suddenly popping up. There is no way to have that changed. Waiting right now for 2 permits for a flight tomorrow...

Cecco
10th Oct 2010, 21:48
...the clearance number was requested, which I promptly transmitted. After a couple of minutes, the controller barked: "your clearance number is not correct, you must divert!" We pointed out that the number must be correct so he sent us in a holding to check again. Some minutes later, we were cleared for approach...

V1... Ooops
10th Oct 2010, 23:06
Hi Cecco:

My experience doing ferry flights in and out of Africa has taught me the following:

1) Some handling companies are better than others. Often this is as a result of the performance of a single individual at the handler. So, you might want to try a different handler for your next trip.

2) As you have probably discovered by now, some countries are pretty efficient with the permits, and some are not. I have learned to simply avoid overflying the countries that give me chronic permit problems, even if it means a 10 or 15% increase in trip mileage.

3) Familiarity breeds friendship and efficiency. To the extent that it is possible, try to use the same routes and stop at the same places.

Hope this helps,

Michael