PDA

View Full Version : Next Step?

Iarepilot
2nd Oct 2010, 07:57
Hello all. I am currently looking for a next step in the aviation ladder. I am currently in Africa with about 1800 hours single engine piston, desperate for some twin time. Does anyone have any advice for me as to where I could go next?

mattyj
2nd Oct 2010, 08:03
Jetstar cadetship..you can skip straight ahead to shiny jets..its getting rave reviews..read the following posts!!

Cactusjack
2nd Oct 2010, 08:54
And try VAustralia,CRFO. No experience necessary !

rmcdonal
2nd Oct 2010, 13:06
Iarepilot Are you an Aussie in SA or a SA looking to move to Aus?

The Green Goblin
2nd Oct 2010, 13:22
Come on fellas, we are not all wankers.

If you have the right to live and work in Australia try applying for Hardy Aviation in Darwin.

You'll be on a Baron/402 within 6 months and a Conquest/Metro Captain within 2-3 years from starting.

mattyj
2nd Oct 2010, 19:17
..if you can put up with the grumpy Hardy's family! :p

Roxy_Chick_1989
3rd Oct 2010, 06:39
You'll be on a Baron/402 within 6 months and a Conquest/Metro Captain within 2-3 years from starting.

Conquest single pilot?

j3pipercub
3rd Oct 2010, 06:45
Oh Dear God, Roxy, go do some research.

Roxy_Chick_1989
3rd Oct 2010, 06:48
Slow news day for ya is it j3?

The Green Goblin
3rd Oct 2010, 07:09
Quote:

Conquest single pilot?

Yes, but I'm sure you knew that.

If your response was in regards to Conquest Captain then yes Conquest Captain. You don't have to have an FO next to you to be a Captain. In fact I'm sure you've even almost got 70 hours of time as a Captain now too Roxy.....:}

GADRIVR
3rd Oct 2010, 11:37
J3...he did...he posted a question here!!

j3pipercub
3rd Oct 2010, 11:47
Roxy,

No, not a slow news day, just sick of your stupid questions.

GA,

He? Who? Roxy? Well I don't think the owner of the Avatar is a 'he'

Cessna 441 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_441)

Cessna 425 Corsair & Conquest I - Specifications - Technical Data / Description (english) (http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acdata_php/acdata_cessna425_en.php)

Cessna 441 Conquest II - Specifications - Technical Data / Description (english) (http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acdata_php/acdata_cessna441_en.php)

30 seconds on google.

j3

remoak
3rd Oct 2010, 23:18
Simple. Stay well away from Australia. Pick up some twin time in Africa... go to Europe... marry a Euro if you don't already have a passport. Sit back and wait six months or so (let your new missus earn the rent).

By that point, hiring should be well under way in the regionals. Go fly a turboprop for a couple of years, get your command, move on to something French or American with big turbofans bolted under the wings. Maybe something South American if you really must.

Enjoy. :ok:

You don't have to have an FO next to you to be a Captain.

Some of you need to get over yourselves. If you are by yourself, you are just the pilot. If you have a crew to command, THEN you are the Captain...:=:=

So is an instructor in his or her 152 a "Captain"?

Some of you guys crack me up...

The Green Goblin
4th Oct 2010, 04:31
Some of you need to get over yourselves. If you are by yourself, you are just the pilot. If you have a crew to command, THEN you are the Captain...

Yes an instructor in a C152 is a Captain for all intents and purposes. A Captain does not need to be in a multi crew aeroplane. Command time = Captain. Simple.

Sometimes I agree with you remoak, other times I would suggest to take a look in the mirror and have a good laugh :ok:

Jober.as.a.Sudge
4th Oct 2010, 05:10
... other times I would suggest to take a look in the mirror and have a good laugh

...and that would be the pot calling the kettle black... and for all intents and purposes-

...for all intensive purposes...

would be wrong.

Can't help but think the Rt. Hon. R.J. Muldoon had it right -when you are certain you know what the context of the comment was.

remoak
4th Oct 2010, 06:02
Green Goblin

And you think I need to look in a mirror and have a good laugh... geez I'm not the one trying to make out that every lighty driver is a "Captain"...

Command time = Captain. Simple.A Captain has a crew. A single pilot doesn't. A single pilot logs command time as "pilot in command", which is what he or she is. A pilot.

Just to help you out with your comprehension problems, let's look at the definition of "Captain":

"Captain. One who commands, leads, or guides others, especially:a. The officer in command of a ship, an aircraft, or a spacecraft.
b. A precinct commander in a police or fire department, usually ranking above a lieutenant and below a chief.
c. The designated leader of a team or crew in sports."

Without "others" to command, you can't be a Captain. Terribly sorry.

You can still wear your four bars though, if it makes you feel better... :D:D:rolleyes:

for all intensive purposes.You owe me a keyboard, I just snorted my coffee all over mine when I saw that one!

Sober

Yes Rob did indeed have it right!

eocvictim
4th Oct 2010, 06:27
mmm intriguing argument remoak; however what if said pilot was in command of other crew in a single pilot operation?

remoak
4th Oct 2010, 07:11
Like a loadmaster or maybe a shooter on deer recovery? Then he or she is a Captain. The definition is pretty clear. Doesn't apply to pax of course, or students.

The only people who want to call themselves Captain of a single pilot (and otherwise crew-less) aircraft are those with giant egos (the ones writing cheques their bodies can't cash)... the same sort of people who wear their uniforms to the mall...

The Green Goblin
4th Oct 2010, 08:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Goblin
... other times I would suggest to take a look in the mirror and have a good laugh
...and that would be the pot calling the kettle black... and for all intents and purposes-

Good catch, one of the perils of using an iphone. Post edited.

Quote:
Command time = Captain. Simple.
A Captain has a crew. A single pilot doesn't. A single pilot logs command time as "pilot in command", which is what he or she is. A pilot.

Just to help you out with your comprehension problems, let's look at the definition of "Captain":

"Captain. One who commands, leads, or guides others, especially:a. The officer in command of a ship, an aircraft, or a spacecraft.
b. A precinct commander in a police or fire department, usually ranking above a lieutenant and below a chief.
c. The designated leader of a team or crew in sports."

Without "others" to command, you can't be a Captain. Terribly sorry.

You can still wear your four bars though, if it makes you feel better...

We will have to agree to disagree. I suppose everyone who advertises for Kingair Captains then must be wrong with your method of thinking!

Oh and every Cessna trim sheet must also be wrong when they require a Captains signature down the bottom (even a C150 from memory)and if you get a call from a plan submitted via NAIPS, they will also call you Captain (even when it was in a 210 etc) when calling to confirm the details.

Anyway we will agree to disagree. Whilst I would not expect to be called Captain while flying a single Pilot aeroplane, or to wear 4 bars, as I said earlier, for all intensive :E purposes you are still a Captain (and in command) of an aeroplane.

Some of you guys crack me up...

With your method of thinking YES as there is more than one Pilot at the controls :E

Iarepilot
6th Oct 2010, 06:54
This is all very helpful. I am a Kiwi returning home, or nearby. Anyone know anything about the Pacific?

slamer.
6th Oct 2010, 07:26
In the civilian world there can be 10 Captains on the flight deck, but only one of them is PIC.

(note: diff states may have diff definitions)

aileron_69
7th Oct 2010, 01:55
Anyone know anything about the Pacific

Ah yes, the Pacific, pretty familiar with it. Largest ocean in the world, can be found to the East of New Zealand, goes all the way to the Americas, and waaaay up North too.

With the captain thing, in my previous job, I had a crew on my 210 survey aircraft, and I had to fill out a daily flight sheet which required the "Captain" to put their name on it. I now fly for a different company but in the same aircraft type with no crew, does that mean i'm not the "Captain" anymore? If so...who is?

The Green Goblin
7th Oct 2010, 05:12
It's a cruel world sometimes isn't it 69?

I see my old jousting partner remoak has gone a bit quiet up the back of that crew bus, perhaps common sense finally prevailed.

Awaiting incoming :E

Stikybeke
7th Oct 2010, 21:56
You could always come over to Bankstown, in Sydney, hire a twin and fly XXX's prop down to him in Melbourne...that would get you some twin time and I'm sure XXX would appreciate it...

Stiky
:8

remoak
8th Oct 2010, 00:24
I see my old jousting partner remoak has gone a bit quiet

Awwww you missed me... ;)

It's very simple. The good ole dictionary defines what a captain is. Being a captain is contingent on having a crew to command. If you don't have a crew, you aren't a captain, just a pilot. This is all a simple matter of definition.

The only people who want to be called captains, whilst not actually having anyone to command, are those with giant egos and a desire for self-glorification. The technical term for this is "w@nker".

Now I know that you poor old Ozmates have to endure many years of banging around in crappy old singles and twins in order to earn your spurs, and I know that you get impatient for the glory of being able to wear your freshly-shined four bars and tell your crew what to do. I realise that you practise by pretending to be captains when you are really just pilots, and that doing so helps you to pick up girls and/or boys in shopping malls. I really do get it.... :ugh::rolleyes:

What amuses me even more is when you try and justify it by saying that some form or other, probably written to serve a two-crew operation and adapted for single pilot use, mentions the word "captain", which you automatically assume confers some status or other.

All this was a bit of a mystery to me, until I realised - of course! - that I am dealing with Australians. NOW it makes sense. The ego, the arrogance, the love of strange beers so bad that they don't even have names, just a bunch of x's. Of course. How blind I was.:=

Well, you just carry on pretending you are captains if it makes you feel better. Those of us who really are captains know differently.

I am off down to the aero club now. I'm taking a mate, so just to avoid confusion I'm wearing my four gold bars (and my special gold wings), and I'm going to insist that the girl behind the desk calls me captain. The instructors can call me "captain SIR", as befits their station in life...

If it gives you any comfort, Kiwis are just as bad at pretending to be important. Now that's a harsh look in the mirror, to be sure. Fortunately, our Air Force, which once used to have actual aircraft, have managed to see the reality and produced this nifty instructional video for all those who want to pretend to be more important than they really are...

1BzU1sYPjzo

Dangnammit
8th Oct 2010, 00:35
That video is a classic.

Just a shame it's the usual suspects hijacking a thread to increase their thread count....

......or ego's

too much time..
too much

The Green Goblin
8th Oct 2010, 00:49
I didn't think you'd post anything less!

P.S If you think us Aussies (Kiwis, well I can understand :p) are so bad, why do you continue to jaunt our little corner?

Ahhh I know why, the poms are a strange bunch!

37mqzlSZ6dY

slice
8th Oct 2010, 01:37
Iarepilot - GA Operators based in Darwin tend to have singles and twins. With your hours on singles, applying for a start with one of these operators on singles would be your best bet for getting light twin time as people move on. Darwin is quite livable if you've been in Africa but also very expensive for accommodation at the moment (it wasn't when I was there 9~10 years ago). Cairns also has some operators in that catagory as well but often send new employees up to Horn Island (the Rock) at the tip of Cape York.

mattyj - speaking from personal experience are we??:E

remoak
8th Oct 2010, 09:42
why do you continue to jaunt our little corner?

Ah I dunno, it's amusing? Sometimes?

Plus I'm a Kiwi... even live there. Now how weird is that! Not a pom though, that would be almost as bad as being an Aussie... :=:p