PDA

View Full Version : Bird Nesting Season

Sunfish
1st Oct 2010, 20:47
Bird nesting season.

A note to myself, and maybe some newbies. Our little feathered friends can build a nest in an airbox or intake in 24 hours.

Super Cecil
1st Oct 2010, 20:50
Also those that fly low get all sorts from magpies/crows through to wedgetails coming out of trees to protect the little white fluffy things in the nests.

Horatio Leafblower
1st Oct 2010, 22:35
...and then there's the f@#$%^&ing Plovers which seem to inhabit every airport in Australia :*

OpsNormal
1st Oct 2010, 23:16
Not to mention squashing rabbits as one taxys around of an evening....:}

ampclamp
1st Oct 2010, 23:30
lol, gotta love those plovers scaring the crap out of you while trying to swing a compass.
It is nesting season and they can be fast.
Note also, those on the east coast will be scraping the bogongs of your plane for the next few months.With all the rain it may be a "good" season.
They get into your pitots as well.

Ultralights
1st Oct 2010, 23:36
Just flew from Brewarrina to Narromine at 1000 ft, not a bug, locust or anything marring the paintwork.. lots of 3 ft tall Emu's running about the place though

OpsNormal
2nd Oct 2010, 01:10
Ultralights, that reminds me of a very good friend of mine who works around SE Qld. He had a birdstrike in the cruise a couple of years ago so put the appropriate paperwork into the ATSB to duly report it. A couple of hours after submitting the paperwork he recieved an incredulous phone call from the ATSB asking him to confirm it was actually in cruise that he hit the emu? :eek:

He is an Ag pilot and the emu had a nest in amongst the crop he was spraying and it stood up just at the last moment and couldn't be avoided.....:D

MakeItHappenCaptain
2nd Oct 2010, 18:31
Not to mention squashing rabbits as one taxys around of an evening....

Slice & Dice:}

Makes them easier to fit in the stewing pot!:E

...and then there's the f@#$%^&ing Plovers

Ah yes....The one thing I will taxi out of my way for. Did scone one with a wheel chock once. Geez that felt good!:E
Can understand them guarding their "nest" but when you're 300m away from their f:mad:cking scrape in the ground at the time??!?

Sunfish
2nd Oct 2010, 19:56
opsnormal:

Not to mention squashing rabbits as one taxys around of an evening....

I swear that I read the following report while at Ansett from an F27 pilot.

"On takeoff at Hobart, hit rabbit with nose gear - mid hare collision - please inspect."

Jabawocky
3rd Oct 2010, 11:11
UL

Was that 1000 AGL or AMSL :E

Or was that 1000cm :ok:

Ultralights
4th Oct 2010, 07:25
http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/Augie.gif

Cactusjack
4th Oct 2010, 12:16
Geoff Dixon feathered his nest at QF very quickly. And before you knew it he had hatched an Irishman.