PDA

View Full Version : Can I become a pilot?

niktarr
1st Oct 2010, 13:41
Hi!

I'm new to this forum, I hope i've chosen the best place for this thread!

My name is Nik and I live in the UK, i'm 26 (almost 27) and never had any idea of what I wanted to do with my life until quite recently (i'd say last couple of years). I was always interested in becoming a pilot (passenger aircraft) but now I am sure this is my lifetime career goal.

Problem is, what with me being 26 now, its been a long time since I was in full time education and to cut a long story short, I have no idea how to get the ball rolling.

My question(s) are

- Whats the best way into becoming a pilot
- How on earth do people cover the costs
- How can you be sure that after shelling out thousands, you'll find work within the industry and be able to pay it back
- Is it really feasable or realistic that a guy like me could achieve this dream?

Southwestnewbie
1st Oct 2010, 13:58
Granted your new to the forum, but you will learn pretty damn quick to make sure you do a search on previous posts before starting a new one like this..

niktarr
1st Oct 2010, 14:12
Im new to THIS forum, I didnt say i'm new to forums in general. I did a quick search but figuered posting a new thread was the best option as I didn't see any that asked the specific questions that I have asked..

..but thanks for the pointer ;)

GusHoneybun
1st Oct 2010, 14:17
Gets yourself a cup of tea and read this thread including all the links.

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/131649-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html

Trust me, this subject has been done to death 1000 times before.

niktarr
1st Oct 2010, 14:26
Are all pilot and wannabe pilots this unhelpful?

Sir Herbert Gussett
1st Oct 2010, 14:34
You'll need to get rid of the brass neck for this business, kid. :rolleyes:

niktarr
1st Oct 2010, 14:39
A 55 year old who still hasn't gained the ability or self control to NOT REACT! Nice!

Langball
1st Oct 2010, 14:48
From what I've read so far, the answer to your simple questions is 'NO'.

DaedalusX
1st Oct 2010, 14:48
You have a big attitude problem.
Quit now and save everyone the trouble, especially your banker/parents.

Whats the best way into becoming a pilot? - Win the lottery.
How on earth do people cover the costs? - They don't. They work 3 jobs.
How can you be sure that after shelling out thousands, you'll find work within the industry and be able to pay it back? - You can't. That's the fun of the game.
Is it really feasable or realistic that a guy like me could achieve this dream? - No!

Sir Herbert Gussett
1st Oct 2010, 14:54
From what you've outlined in your original post it's safe to assume you wont be in my RHS before I retire, and probably wont ever be with your attitude problem and inability to do your own work. It's a competitive business - it wont all roll out in front of you for you to simply pick and chose as you please. :)

niktarr
1st Oct 2010, 14:59
I just love how people assume they know certain things like 'I haven't looked' etc.

I've done nothing but look, ask yourselves, did I find this forum by NOT LOOKING? Doubtful!

What would have been nice is for someone to have simply helped someone who is seeking advice as apposed to brushing me off because somehow 'my questions aren't important' enough for anyone to care about it.

I sincerely hope none of you are instructors, I would NOT envy your students!

airtragicdubai
1st Oct 2010, 15:07
Niktarr,

Looking into the profession is fairly daunting with the amount of different choices available to get to the left hand seat in a passenger aircraft (frozen ATPL). Much as this topic may have been covered a lot on PPrune, the industry is an ever changing profession and it is good to seek advice both positive and negative from other professional pilots/wannabe's on the forum. The individuals who are giving unhelpful comments, should not bother commenting at all.

I too am of the same age range and am starting to change my career into this field. Whilst pilot recruitment isn't a flowing area at the moment, it will take 18months or so to change and the forcast economy will hopefully change in favour once you reach graduation stage.

Best way in becoming a pilot; i don't believe there is a right answer, the main two options being modular or integrated. Integrated being considerably more expensive but with the advantage of continuous learning to diminish skillfade, whereas modular is cheaper and most sections can be optained whilst still in a full time job.

Covering costs; either save up for it, which could take a long time - but makes modular route more suitable as you can do it in stages or securing a loan against a property your own/parents. Banks don't seem to be interested in these sort of loans in the current climate.

There is no guarantee of employment after completion of training but with the aircraft orders due to come on line/retirements in the next 2-4 years then optimism is fairly good, Emirates airlines recruitment of 700 pilots over the next 12-18 months should hopefully see UK airlines losing senior members to Emirates and allow newbies to find employment.

To be an airline pilot is a dream anyone can achieve but will take a huge amount of dedication and patience.

PM me if you want advice on the route i am currently taking

Torque Tonight
1st Oct 2010, 15:15
If I'm not mistaken you edited post 5 from something positive along the lines of 'thanks for the useful link' to something negative 'Are all pilot and wannabe pilots this unhelpful?'.

If I were you, I'd change it back again!

Most successful pilots have made it to where they are now partly because at some stage, someone higher up the chain than them, decided that they could get along together in a working environment, would be pleasant to interact with and was worth giving a chance.

Attitude, personality and manner go a long way. People who make a bad first impression don't get a callback.

niktarr
1st Oct 2010, 15:20
Torque tonight

You are not mistaken, I did edit that post.

I am not here trying to make a bad impression, I have much better things to do. I am here seeking advice and up until a couple of posts again, that seemed too much trouble.

Can I just say for the recored, I do not have a poor attitude to those who have suggested otherwise, infact I might even go so far as to appologise if I have come across in that way, it was certainly not the intention.

Understand that it is quite frustrating from my point of view to seek advice and be 'brushed off' when giving the advice I was seeking, or even pointing me in the right direction would have been easier

Torque Tonight
1st Oct 2010, 15:29
Good on ya for setting the record straight. You are not the first, and so there is an enormous amount of advice already available to you in some of these threads. Read and absorb. If it felt like you were getting the brush off, it is just because the same questions get asked again and again and again, even though the answers are already here. Good luck.

Whirlygig
1st Oct 2010, 15:34
- Whats the best way into becoming a pilot = Depends on your individual circumstances
- How on earth do people cover the costs = Depends on your individual circumstances
- How can you be sure that after shelling out thousands, you'll find work within the industry and be able to pay it back = you can't. In any career.
- Is it really feasable or realistic that a guy like me could achieve this dream? = Depends on your individual circumstances.

With the best will in the world, nobody can answer such vague and general questions. What's best for one is not best for another.

The "facts" (i.e. rules and regs) regarding training are simple enough to Google - get googling and get ppruning.

No-one can answer the other questions for you. It's wet and raining outside - I bet the instructors at your local flying school are just drinking tea - perhaps you should phone and arrange to see one for a chat.

Cheers

Whirls

Nearly There
1st Oct 2010, 17:35
Airtragicdubai
to get to the left hand seat in a passenger aircraft (frozen ATPL).

Warming the skippers seat on a cold winters morning maybe, then swiftly dispatched to the RHS:p

airtragicdubai
1st Oct 2010, 17:58
fair play, i meant right hand seat.
:oh:

Halfwayback
2nd Oct 2010, 08:50
Niktarr

Welcome to the Pprune Wannabee forum.

As you have already discovered there is a wealth of information here and there many experienced pilots who are very willing to help some one get a first foot on the ladder. Despite posts in other website ALL Pprune moderators are very active within the aviation industry either as pilots (civ and Military), ATC, cabin services etc.

However nearly all the members of the forum expect someone to do some research themselves before posting. An hour or so of 'reading in' using the search function would have given you an up-to-date picture of the industry at the moment.

Can I respectfully ask you to do this? In the meantime I am closing the thread to stop any further antagonistic replies.

PM me when or if you have any further questions.

HWB

Sir Stanley Bigh
2nd Oct 2010, 10:10
Not a lot of help going on here? Some ideas for you:

- have a few flying lessons at your local flying school
- read a book on Air Law or some other ATPL subject matter
- have a realistic financial plan to achieve your frozen ATPL (5 years?)
- get a Class 1 medical before you spend any serious money
- find a mentor to keep you motivated, as you will doubt yourself along the way
- accept professional criticism and do not view it as a personal attack

If you get the ATPL, you will find a job sooner or later.