PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning from the Military to Civilian...

212_Nightdipper
1st Oct 2010, 08:44
Hello Folks

Im an Italian Navy AB 212 pilot who is considering to leave the service and go civilian...i would like to have some advices that could help me go trought the process in a "smooth'n'safe" way...In particular since i still have to get my JAA ATPL (H) licences i was wondering which european school is the best as far as reputation and teaching quality and has some sort of "direct link" to the companies...

Any 2 cents will be greatly apprecitated.....:ugh::ugh:

rick1128
1st Oct 2010, 15:10
Although I was never a military pilot, I have worked with several former military pilots. The civil world in some ways is similar to the military, but in many ways is totally dis-similar. There is a chain of command. Most times it is not based on seniority, but on qualifications. The civil worlds does not operate on the premise of calculated risk.

Also the civil world (in most cases), does try to get the last full measure of performance out of a machine and operate at the all out limits. In the military you are an officer first, then a pilot. In the civil world you are a pilot first and foremost. So that machine is your paycheck. So if it is not working, you do not get paid. So take care of it.

Last of all, back way off of your consumption of raw meat.

212_Nightdipper
1st Oct 2010, 17:29
Thanks for the inputs Rick, but reading your reply i dont see such huge differences....Italian Navy wise, in the cockpit doesnt count the rank but qualifications, so whoever has the most get to be the PIC (only if you have 2 pilots with the same qualifications then we look at the rank)...and for the other aspect unfortunately even if we have such a lot of checklist with DO and DONTs and safety should be always paramount, i have to say that the tendency is to fly every time and get the mission accomplished even if "everything else" is not really in place (if you know what i mean)...bottom line looks like nothing new in the air...what could be really apprecitated on my side doubtless will be lots of more planning (schedule wise) instead of always being ready ON CALL and ready to deploy everywhere in the world is needed....that allows to have also a private life on the side...

still..ANY GOOD EUROPEAN FLIGHT SCHOOL with some company's contacts after all the "paperwork" (ATPL) is over?.....:hmm:

hueyracer
2nd Oct 2010, 08:28
When i decided to quit military service, i was thinking the same way you´re doing now......

Believe the guys that are telling you here: Military pilots are not better than civil pilots.......In some ways, they are even worse than civil pilots...

Coming from the military, i was used to the "chain of command".....there was a crew in the cockpit, the mechanic or loadmaster in the back.....

Flight time did not matter....nobody cared if you did 3 or 8 drops in an hour while fighting fire.....if you are not on the right line-nobody cares, turn around and come again.....

I couldn´t believe at this time that things should be different on civil aviation...
Let me tell you: They are!

Unfortunately, you will find that out only when you are out of the army....
For me-there is no way back to military aviation.....even if i lost a lot of (financial) security.......but in civil aviation my work counts (and if it is only because my company is making more money when i work hard....that alone is worth experiencing it when coming from the military)...

But do not underestimate the risk:
Civil aviation is a bitch-she will need you instantly now....but she can drop you tomorrow......

S76Heavy
2nd Oct 2010, 09:22
I'm just wondering why you want to take the risk in a global crisis and not wait a few more years.
Or do your CPL/ATPL while you stay in the Navy, and wait for better times to jump ship, excusez le mot.

prinztegame
2nd Oct 2010, 09:48
Dsantagati check your PM

Fly_For_Fun
2nd Oct 2010, 11:39
I wouldn't right now.

212_Nightdipper
2nd Oct 2010, 13:54
Huey i see what you'r saying...but i got to the point that a LOW (for the risk and everything) but SURE paycheck and a screwed up private life due to service deployemts requirement are not for me anymore....moreover the crisis cutted down also the flight hours available for deployments (with all the consequences for training and safety) even in the NAVY, you can see that the picture is not so bright as it might seem from the outside...right now we are at the lowest...no flight time, ****ty paycheck, screwed up quality of life...and the future doesnt look any brighter....even a kick in the a$$ would be better..... i think i will take my chances and afterwards ill do the math.....

ps @ PrintzTeGame...IT NAVY MAFIA ROCKS!!!:ok: