PDA

View Full Version : LAN Peru,Chile, Argentina

pdub20s
30th Sep 2010, 23:09
I see that LAN is hiring... Do they hire American pilots?

chileno 777
1st Oct 2010, 15:27
Bill.F
Could you pls elaborate regarding the fact that Lan is asking for FAA licence? Does this mean that it’s no longer necessary to convert it to the local one (i.e Chilean) in order to work for Lan?

DeltaGolf
1st Oct 2010, 17:19
no inventen cosas / do not invent things..

AVW
1st Oct 2010, 18:11
I've got and Invite Email yesterday to send in my stuff before 12OCT10 for review, then if all good an interview.

I asked about salary, seat, AC and base.

No salary info.
FO seat.
No AC info.
Santiago.

The email was from Francisca Isabel.

I am a US Citizen, fluent in Spanish with 1 class med, ATP and A-320 TR. (8500 hrs).

I don't have any of the chilean lics.

I don't really know how i qualify or can they let me fly in Chile.

I would love to take the job, but I think the LIC would be a no deal for them.

Also I dont really know anything about way and cost of living in Santiago with an FO salary (Assuming Airbus 319 entry level)
I dont know much about upgrades either.

Cheers.

cosmiccomet
1st Oct 2010, 21:51
As far as I know LAN Airlines (Chile) is recruiting First Officers only.

Selection process:
-68 questions based in the ASA FAA ATPL prep
-68 questions based in the ASA FAA IFR prep
-IFR sim evaluation in a Flight Training Device, no FD or AP either.
-Psycological evaluation
-Personal Interview
-Medical

After been positive, you would have to take an ATPL (written only) and English ICAO Level exams with the Chilean Aviation Authority.

LAN will arrange the dates but you will have to pay the exam fees.

Training would be in Santiado de Chile. During that period LAN will provide housing.

After check out, the housing is in your own.

Salary depends on your flight time, with yours 8,500 hrs it will be full FO salary. I don't have the exact number but it should be around U$D 4,000 pocket money per 14 salaries per year.

Roster is usually 8 days OFF per month but only 4 of them will be consecutive.

Good luck.

DeltaGolf
1st Oct 2010, 23:07
@cosmicomet

that sounds more realistic.

They are not recruiting FAA Pilots. They are recruiting pilots with Commercial License and that speak spanish, not need to be FAA and you will go thru that process.. Just like cosmicomet said

I am not sure that they will provide you housing during training though...

and about salary, i don't think you will go to the full salary, because it's not based on how many hours you have, the salary it's based on some other facts.

cosmiccomet
2nd Oct 2010, 04:47
Delta Golf,
That information I have from a very good friend who has finished the type rating check yesterday.

LAN Airlines (Chile) is going to provide accommodation until the end of the line training.

For what I can see from the pilots recruited from Argentina most of them have very low experience.

LAN Peru was recruiting some Spanish but they are having problems to get the license in Peru.
So I would say LAN Peru is not going to recruit Pilots out of the Pacto Andino in the future unless LP settles the problem with the Pilots Union.

LAN Argentina was trying to recruit 4 LAN Chile Senior FO to become Captains in Argentina until the own Argentinians have enough experience to get the command, but that was not approved by the Authority.
That was two or three years ago, and LAN Argentina has not grown at all during that period.

Besides, time to command in LAN Chile can not be shorter than 6 years at this moment.

gjln
8th Oct 2010, 15:25
Any info on salary, etc?
Regards

AVW
8th Oct 2010, 22:58
Thank you guys for the information.

I've got a job in the US, I am Argentinean.

Ive tried to get a job in Argentina LAN ARG, but the license conversion got the best of me.

The Salary and working conditions are not what I expected in LAN Chile.

I am not taking the job in Chile, I hope it makes room for a Chilean Pilots.

Cheers.

MD83FO
11th Oct 2010, 07:17
besides FAA ATP what kind of questions are being asked about chilean regulations in the test?
can anybody help me with some insight into the math equations being asked in the psychometric test.

thanks in advance..

gjln
18th Oct 2010, 15:11
cosmiccomet (http://www.pprune.org/members/211256-cosmiccomet),
Check your PM

Iver
19th Oct 2010, 03:11
Is it true that Lan Chile has been hiring a number of Mexicana pilots (after its bankruptcy)? Are they offered DECs or are they starting as FOs?

Also, is Lan Cargo a separate operation with a separate pilot list or can its 767F and 777F positions be bid by Lan Chile pilots?

DeltaGolf
19th Oct 2010, 03:18
gjln, check older posts about LAN and you will have the payscales...

about Mexicana pilots, haven't heard anything about it...

and about LAN CARGO pilots, they only fly LAN CARGO planes, (freighters).

zerograv
19th Oct 2010, 03:48
Hi there!!!

One of the papers/certificates they ask for when filling the online application is a "Certificate of hours flown by the license issuing authority". As far as I'm aware my licensing authority (the UK CAA) does not issue such certificate. Then again, I might be wrong as I have not asked them yet.
Has anyone applied without having such certificate?
On the same subject, I'm currently in Santiago and will be around for another three days. If I would try to go to their Human Resourses to enquire about this Certificate issue would it be, kind of OK, or would I actually be regarded as me being inconvenient?

Gracias,
Zero

DeltaGolf
19th Oct 2010, 23:13
Zero, all they want is to verify that your hours are legit, so you should find a way to get a certificate, from your flight school, last job, etc stating the hours you've flown there.

zerograv
19th Oct 2010, 23:38
Thanks DeltaGolf!!! :ok:

I do have the Logbook stamped with stamps of the several schools that I attended and the occasions I did simulator with the current employer. Additionally the employer produces a monthly report stating the flights and hours I did each month. Do you think that would be sufficient?

Muchas gracias,
Zero

gjln
20th Oct 2010, 10:35
Hola a todos,
Alguna informacion en la entrevista de esta semana con LAN Chile
Saludos

materazzi
28th Oct 2010, 01:29
well here is the last one... LAN buys Aires...

LAN Airlines Announces Agreement to Acquire Colombian Airline AIRES S.A. | Business Wire (http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20101027007341/en/LAN-Airlines-Announces-Agreement-Acquire-Colombian-Airline)

DeltaGolf
28th Oct 2010, 13:52
Comunicados de Prensa - LAN.com (http://www.lan.com/es_cl/sitio_personas/about_us/prensa/20101027_promesa_compraventa_aires.html)

chileno 777
28th Oct 2010, 15:44
Great news! :D

Thanks DeltaGolf for sharing.

Found the english version:

LAN Airlines to Acquire Colombian Airline AIRES - Aviation News - PILOT CAREER CENTRE (http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Aviation-Pilot-Recruitment-News-Item/4317/LAN+Airlines+to+Acquire+Colombian+Airline+AIRES)

capt_rs
2nd Nov 2010, 17:49
Hey guys,

Any idea how long it takes to get an answer from LAN after the interview?

Thanks!!

gjln
2nd Nov 2010, 20:38
Any insight on the interview process?
Thanks very much

materazzi
3rd Nov 2010, 05:29
@ capt_rs

it takes about a week to 10 days to get an answer... whether is positive or negative...

Manuel52
16th Nov 2010, 14:44
My buddy working with me is american and married a peruvian. They told him still, there only looking for full Peruvians. They did tell him to call next month and see if there looking for non-peruvians. I herd they are needing pilots, i got a call from them a few days ago.

Manuel52
16th Nov 2010, 14:57
I am Peruvian and have a FAA commercial pilot license. They called me and asked a few questions, everything was going good till she asked what plans i have for getting the Peruvian commercial pilot license? I answered non yet, she replayed well ill call you next month and see if you have a plan, i can’t sent you an invitation till you get one. I'm hoping she just meant the plan, but just in case here i am thinking about how to do it on my own. I think i got everything thought out but the two written exams. Commercial pilot and phraseology.

kottax
18th Nov 2010, 21:42
hello,

could anyone that has done the interview recently explain how it was please?
Do you really need the Dalton/CR3?

gjln
18th Nov 2010, 21:50
Going on Monday, you?
You need the Dalton for the exams, been asked to get one.

captainmoya
20th Nov 2010, 21:36
Going on Monday, you?
You need the Dalton for the exams, been asked to get one.
hello,

could anyone that has done the interview recently explain how it was please?
Do you really need the Dalton/CR3?

Pardon my ignorance guys, but what is the Dalton/CR3? Thanks.

gjln
21st Nov 2010, 01:30
What I understood was, Dalton is basically the CR3. I brought the one used in the UK.
U coming on Monday?

captainmoya
21st Nov 2010, 11:10
I've been invited for an interview, but I'm trying to figure out availability, logistics, etc. Best of luck at the interview this Monday.

Glonass
21st Nov 2010, 12:53
Pardon my ignorance guys, but what is the Dalton/CR3? Thanks.CR3:
Jeppesen CR-3 - Wiki (http://sliderule.mraiow.com/wiki/Jeppesen_CR-3)

E6B known as Dalton in this latitudes:
E6B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E6B)

:O

captainmoya
21st Nov 2010, 14:00
Glonass
Quote:
Pardon my ignorance guys, but what is the Dalton/CR3? Thanks.
CR3:
Jeppesen CR-3 - Wiki

E6B known as Dalton in this latitudes:
E6B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My bad...I've used the E6B throughout my career and wasn't aware of Jeppesen's version of the flight computer. Thanks.

EagleA25
22nd Nov 2010, 22:02
Alright, I just wanted to add my mustard to the discussion and see where it ends:

LAN is hiring, but they are VERY picky. But as we all know, LAN is not LAN, there is Peru, then Chile, Ecuador, Argentina and last but now newest, LAN Colombia, cutely named LACO.
The minimum requirement for the entire holding has never changed: You have to read, speak, write and understand Castellano, if you like it or not. It's the official company language, so all you English-only 20000 hour 40-years of experience Captains, so sorry... Also, you need to pass the screening and psychological and psycho-technical evals, no way around those.

Lets start off with Peru:
LPE is expanding, very quickly. Rumor has it that out of the 50 Airbus A319's/320's and 321's ordered at the last Farnborough Airshow 22 will go directly to Peru. The requirement is 500 pilots within 5 years, 100 pilots per year. What do FO's require? Icao Comercial IFR, THATS IT! I mean, it's a joke, 250 hours no multi, and you get a shot at flying the right seat of an A320... Ok, not for everyone though, to work in Peru you require to be a citizen or at least a resident of the Andean Community, or CAN, Colombia, Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru. That's why LAN Peru was recruiting in Miami a few weeks ago, there are a lot of them in S. Florida. It's not an agreement of the Union much more a requirement of the state, the work ministry to be exact. Also, FYI, the reason why Spaniards are allowed to work in Peru dates back to an agreement of 1959 between Peru and Spain. As SpanAir and AirComet went belly up, the company saw an opportunity to recruit and took it.

Next stop; Chile:
The expansion Plans for LAN Airlines and LAN Express ended due to citizenship restrictions of the Chilenian Government, but with a former LAN Chairman at the helm, those rules have changed, a lot. The exact details are not known to me, but work authorizations will now be given on a case-by-case basis. For First Officers the minimums are as in Peru, CPL IFR only. The more experience you have the better, especially in jets for direct entry captains. Obviously, it will be almost impossible to get into LAN and Lan Express with only 250 hours and not being a citizen since there is a line of applicants, so don't keep your hopes up.

Lets jump to Argentina:
LAN AR is not doing very good. The union has too much political influenze, and if it were up to LAN I heard rumors of mid and upper level managers in Santiago that it might have been a mistake to go into Argentina. It might be possible that a new aircraft or two end up there, I highly doubt it though. If it were not up the the Unions there, Argentina would have the largest Long-Range Fleet of LAN as it is a very well situated strategic Place.

Ecuador is next:
LAN Ecuador has had a very interesting increase in demand the last two years, and their fleet is expanding too. 6 A319's and two A320's are supposed to go there. There is a demand for pilots, very slowly though.

Beautiful Colombia now:
Not really new, BUT still interesting. LAN purchase Aires for US$32.5 million. Thats a fact, what no one know is, whats next? LAN operated in and around Colombia flying Cargo, but Aires, an airline that began operations in 1981, which will be "d.b.a." LAN Colombia, is a different ball game. How they will operated, what equipment, destinations, personell etc... no one speaks about. Speculations are that the fleet of DASH-8's will be returned to the leasing agency, that also the 737's are going back to all be replaced with A-320 Family Aircraft, or that everything will continue. Time will tell the tale...

So much for now, I hope that will give everyone an update on things.

Happy Landings

N6ZP
23rd Nov 2010, 00:14
Hey EagleA25

Thanks for the info about LAN,

But maybe i am missing something, you said that "it will be almost impossible to get into LAN and Lan Express with only 250 hours and not being a citizen" so why does LAN is recruiting pilots from around the "spanish-speaking" countries (Argentina, Mexico,Spain), you said that work authorizations will be given in a case-by-case basis, so to me if LAN is looking for pilots in different countries, i think the ones that LAN pick would get no problems working in Chile... am i right?

Saludos :)

materazzi
23rd Nov 2010, 01:12
that's true, I don't know why you are saying that is almost impossible... LAN in Chile (airlines and express) are in need of a lot of FO's, they've been in Argentina, Mexico and recently in Spain... and people are getting in with the minimums...

so it's just a matter of get the right email, phone, talk to them, apply, and go thru the process... THAT'S IT...

EagleA25
24th Nov 2010, 13:46
Ok, sorry for the confusion, what I meant to say is that a foreign (non-S. American Pilot) with "only" a commercial ticket, it will be almost impossible. As the thread started asking if LAN is hiring North Americans I must have subconsciously refered in that direction. There is fierce competition from young Chilenian Pilots themselves, experienced Argentinians, Colombians and Venezulenians who want to work there...
But if LAN Chile/Airlines/Express picks you, it's because they know you will be able to work for them, simple as that...

By the way, LAN ARG is on Strike, as of the early hours of this morning the Pilots, Flight Attendant and Mechanics Unions walked out... So much for that :ugh:

Hope it clears the air a little
Eagle

leondelfierro
24th Nov 2010, 14:22
No DEC in Lan Chile :=

EagleA25
24th Nov 2010, 16:44
Yupp, and DEC in LPE only into A-319's and into B767 if you're older than 59...

OptimusClimb
14th Dec 2010, 19:19
Hey guys I also have and Interview invite with LAN, currently working for a regional in the US. I have been wanting to call and ask them question about what i'm getting myself into, as for pay and bases and time to upgrade information is hard to come by. Anyone else with some insight?

TOFFAIR
14th Dec 2010, 21:11
I wonder how are the speculations in Chile and other LAN affiliate countries about the tam purchase. Here in Brazil its not a secret that tam has too many employees and compared to LAN, crews are overpaid. The rumour going around here is that LAN could take over the Longhaul and crewing in Brazil, leaving tam with domestic services... Hope is Crews will be needed. Fear, before that, many could be laid off...
Like to hear thoughts from beyond the Andes!

Flying007
15th Dec 2010, 16:02
Just interviewed with LAN last week. myself and several others did the whole process in a week here in Florida. Some did the sim, some didn't. the ones that didn't (myself included) were told to wait to do the sim in Peru. The tests were pretty straight forward. ATP, IFR (Gleim or ASA), Psicotecnica (easy), psychological eval, HR and Technical questions. Does anyone else have any info about a recent hiring process with LAN. how long does it take for LAN to look into the results of any test.

Will they let you know if you pass or failed? Is there a right or wrong answer in the HR interview. what about the Tech. questions?

Any up-to-date info would be appreciated.

7Q Off
21st Dec 2010, 17:10
I think it would be very difficult to LAN to overtake TAM Long haul ops from brazil. To fly a PT- registerd aircraft you need to be a brazilean national. End of story for that rumor.

EagleA25
1st Jan 2011, 00:03
Who said that LAN would fly PT Registered aircraft...? :oh:
As an owner of an airline (51% or more) gives you the right to "lease" out routes. So you take a profitable route and let CC registered aircraft do the work at a lower cost increasing profit margins... Thats what we call "5th freedom right" in the airline business.
Of course those other crews will then not be needed and that's were the fear of lay-offs come.
Now, to fly domestic ("Cabotage") is a whole different ball-game. In most S. American countries you need a validated license and have the right to work in that country.
But I did not know that you are required to be a "citizen" of Brazil to fly a PT- registered aircraft. A LOA from the DGAC in Brazil should do. The only country I know of that does not accept foreigners flying country-registered aircraft is Mexico, and there you don not just have to be a citizen, by law you are required to be born in Mexican Territory. I saw that a few companies there dry-lease N- registered aircraft for that purpose...
Happy New Year everyone...
Eagle

7Q Off
2nd Jan 2011, 04:01
first you need to own the 51% of that airline. The LAN-TAM merge is still subject to approval. LAN does not have enough planes to take over TAM Long range operations. And does not have any planes on order that will allow to take over TAM ops. TAM has more than 20 Long Haul planes and lots of orders. They can order planes but it takes time to receive those planes. And yes, to fly PT aircraft you need to be a citizen in Brazil. You can fly short term contracts. Argentina is also a country were you need to be citizen to fly LV aircraft. You can fly short term contracts as a foreign pilot while you train local pilots. But not as a career. In Chile and Peru you can fly as an expat. No problem at all. Laws allow this to happen. Panama Also. I dont know in Colombia if you can.
Chile has some 5th right on Brazil routes but the Brazilian government will not allow this to happen. A Chilean company overtaking Long Haul operations of TAM airlines, the main Brazilian company today, with foreign crews flying for 2 cents while local Brazilian crews lost their JOB????? Yeah, right. That's why Unions exists. Sorry guys. Sit back, relax and enjoy your flight.

chileno 777
2nd Jan 2011, 23:25
LAN does not have enough planes to take over TAM Long range operations. And does not have any planes on order that will allow to take over TAM ops.

What about the 32 B787 Lan's order?

EagleA25
3rd Jan 2011, 20:59
Thanks for the backup 777...
7Q, sorry if I touched a sore nerve there, but I spoke to TAM Crews, and yes, they are afraid... Laws change, Union in, Union out, Money talks, Bull**** walks...
The reason why LAN ARG is not expanding is obvious, the national Pilots Union, and they don't care that they have hundreds of Argentinian Pilots on the street without a job, that selfish they are to protect their "market". So LAN pulled the big plug for the time being, so they will stay what they are, a joke, bad investment, you name it what you want...

The merger is approved, if you like it or not, but it's official:

LatAm Giant Is Born As TAM, LAN Merge (http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1281798804.html)
LAN-TAM Merger: U.S. Carriers Sweat The Fate of Alliance Partners | BNET (http://www.bnet.com/blog/airline-business/lan-tam-merger-us-carriers-sweat-the-fate-of-alliance-partners/2147)

LAN would not hold 51%, but 73% of TAM's stock, even though non-Brazilians are not allowed to hold more than 20% of a company... (hmm, laws are funny things aren't they..?? So how did Enrique do that?!?)

I never wrote that LAN will take over the entire Long Range Ops of TAM. But be sure that LAN will take a hefty bite out of the Cake they bought, US$ 2.7 Billion (thats a lot of 0's if you ask me...!) With 73% LAN has "Operational Control", so Upper- and mid-level managers are already handing in their resignation to be replaced by Personnel in which LAN has confidence. And the easiest bite will come out of the Long Haul Ops sector...
Even if Brazilian Crews would not loose their jobs, I heard they are overpaid and under worked, so some of them might leave by them self as there will be some belt-tightening in every sector...

TAM was not in the best of the liquid sector when LAN bought them, so, lets see what the new "Presidenta do Brazil" will do about it, but rest assure, if the deal were to go sour, it would have HUGE consequences for TAM and the commercial aviation sector in Brazil, not just for the confidence in the trading system, but financially, so there are your lay-offs....

And yes, thank you, I am sitting back, relaxing, and enjoying the flight and the view :O

Slds
Eagle

7Q Off
3rd Jan 2011, 23:14
some of the 787 are 767 replacements.

7Q Off
3rd Jan 2011, 23:30
Eagle25, in Argentina there are not hundreds of pilots without jobs. Most airlines and small charter outfits are hiring pilots every month.

LAN Argentina is not expanding because Argentinean market right now is not as attractive as Peru or Colombia. Domestic travel in Argentina is not very attractive in terms of yields. And yes, unions are strong here. LAN is not uses to deal with strong unions. But thanks to strong Unions airlines can not make you fly 6 days on 1 day off. :ok:

chileno 777
4th Jan 2011, 01:08
Argentinean market is not expanding and is not attractive basically because:

-There is no incentive policies from the State towards aviation (i.e. promoting the open skies policy), even worst…the Government dictates the max prices that can be established by the airline companies.

-The government promotes a totally unfair competition trough Aerolineas Argentinas. (pls don’t forget that the state owned company financial status is in red and the government still insists to put money in).

- Unions are too rigid and inflexible that generally this inhibits the private investment.

There is no complete certainty whether the 787s are going to totally substitute the 767 fleet or if they are going to just be added to increase the capacity of the long haul fleet. However, if in the future LAN management becomes conscious that due to the increasing demand it’s not necessary to replace the 767, personally think that not any of them will be swapped hence having LAN more than enough capacity to take over Tam’s operation.

7Q Off
4th Jan 2011, 15:58
thats why I say SOME 787 are 767 replacements. :ok:

7Q Off
4th Jan 2011, 16:18
chileno777, you are making a mistake here. Domestic Fares are ruled by the gob. But international Fares are Free so each company can rules their own fares.

And LAN Argentina have been approved to fly many international routes science 2006, Madrid, Rome, mexico, JFK, etc, almost 17 international routes which the company can fly when they want. The problem is that some of those routes have very low yields and strong competitors. Madrid Has Aerolineas and Iberia (casually a Oneworld company) with 4 flights a day, and Air Europa with 1 flight a day (Star alliance company and Aerolineas starting to certificate for that alliance). Lets say, LAN Argentina wants to fly to Madrid they can fly next month and with the fares they want. So the open sky is not a really big problem.

The only issue for LAN in Argentina is they can rotate the aircraft like in Peru or Chile. And that should not be a problem as 99% of the world, even countries where they are experts in open sky policies don't allow that rotation.

On the routes from Argentina to Brazil the new TAM-LAN merge makes the need for LAN Argentina to fly to Brazil useless. The other Argentinean markets like Chile and Peru are both already well served by other group companies like LAN Chile and LAN Peru. So no real expansion on those markets. And on the Argentina-Chile market there is a free frequency agreement, so LAN Chile and LAN Argentina can expand their frequencies as they want.

Unions are rigid? Yes, but if you are a big company you need to start to deal with unions. Argentina is the first place were unions are strong. They will learn how to deal with unions. You cant be a big airline and pretend your crews to fly 6 days on, 1 off for peanuts.

As you see most of Argentinean - South America market was already served by LAN group Before LAN Argentina start their ops. So to be honest the need for LAN Argentina to expand on those markets are pointless. Maby many people overestimates the Argentinean market for LAN.

EagleA25
4th Jan 2011, 22:03
I love heated discussions like this one... :ok:

Now, just as 777 said, replacing the 767's depends on future demands and none of my contacts mentioned a replacement program. The 767 is known to be the work horse of the LAN fleet, I have my doubts it will be replace anytime soon.

I kinda disagree with 7Q on a few points: The gob's neither in Brazil nor in Argentina limit nor controls the regional nor national fares. Additionally, on both sides, in ARG and in BRA, the domestic market is huge and there is still a very big and growing demand in S. America in general as all of the countries were not hit as hard as Europe or us in N. America by the financial crisis. One sector particularly is standing out for its expansion, the Cargo Sector.

The "rotation" of airplanes, the use of foreign registered aircraft in domestic or flag operations is what I assume you refer to, should not be an issue. You require another aircraft for your Ops, you certify it within a week or 10 days tops. Does it affect "flexibility", it might, but if the demand is there, self-loading-cargo will fly when the plane leaves, of course you tailor it so it is more comfortable for them. And as it is not s well kept secret to the aviation world, LAN isn't that much after PAX, but Cargo is the cream for the pie here. So I am pretty sure that there are a lot more things going on in the background that we don't even know about when it comes to the business end of the aviation industry and mergers associated with it.

Personally, I see the real problem why LAN Argentina not expanding is that it just became to expensive for LAN. And yes, there are still hundereds of Pilots in Argentina on the street, and yes, companies are picking some up, but most of them are younger, less experienced aviators for FO jobs. You might wanna ask some Aerolineas Caps about, I chatted with one a few days ago and he listed at least 55 Capts between the age of 45 to 60 he personally knew who do things like waiter tables or taxi driver in Bueno Aires (mind you, a few years back on an EZE trip I was sitting in the back of a cab talking to my FO about flying. At a stop light the cabbi turns around and asks me if we're pilots, turns out he was the ex-fleet chief of don't-remember-which in Aerolineas Argentinas, so much for that).

Now, concerning the peanuts and Unions, face reality, we've become button pushers and lazy bums. Flying a Jet 20 Years ago, when I was young and sexy (Now I'm just not young anymore :)) we used to get paid double of what we make today, and yes, we had more "rest time". But if you don't like your reality, change it, that means, do something else like supervise construction, manage in the the food industry, open a bar or if you wanna make the big bucks flying, I recommend India and China. Living and Working conditions suck, but hey, it's US$15000.00 in your pocket each month... Otherwise, take what you have and suck it up...
If I am right for who you are, you might know yourself how long it took for you to get into the right seat of a jet airliner, now they are practically giving the seat away in Corn Flakes Boxes to guys who a) don't care about flying and only the paycheck and b) have an attitude about it. And yes, there should be a pay raise for the work that is done down there to attract more qualified personnel. That won't happen anytime soon, so this will go bad some day, believe me. I just hope no one on board is who I know so I can skip out on going to a funeral... :bored:

Why would LAN ARG only fly to Brazil? It's a bigger world out there,you know, and there are two directions that still need to be explored, and LAN knows it: The eastern Pacific and (ta-daaaa) Southern Africa. That is were my bet with LAN Argentina comes into play...

Well, so much for now... gotta get my bags ready for my trip to Vancouver, it's cold up there...:cool:

Happy Landings...

Flying007
5th Jan 2011, 05:50
:ok:Amen to that!!!!!

7Q Off
5th Jan 2011, 13:42
Argentina domestic fares are limited by the gob.

here is the link so you believe me.

SISTEMA TARIFARIO PARA PASAJEROS DE VUELOS REGULARES DE CABOTAJE

Subsecretaria de Transporte Aerocomercial (http://www.transporte.gov.ar/aero/usuarios/tarifas.html)

Only domestic fares are regulated, international fares are free.

I don't remember in Brazil but I think they have a NO-dumping policy but they don't regulate the max fares for domestic travel.

And yes I know some captains that are jobless. There are always jobless pilots, in all counties. Its is impossible to hire 100% of the pilots because there is always people not technically qualified. Some of them try to fly for LAN Argentina and they were dumped in the pyrotechnics aptitude test (psicotecnico in spanish). Some of those captains were dumped by aerolineas because they fly on a strike and basically no pilot in the company wants to fly with them so they were retired. They were scams. Some captains next to 60 are retired of aerolineas argentinas, LAPA, SW and some companies. Here after 50 years old you can retire with your pension so to be honest, most don't qualify as jobless pilots. Most of those pilots are at home enjoying their retirement. The guys from 45 to 50 are the only guys complicated.

And the pacific for LAN, yes they could fly. The only market in the pacific for Argentina is Buenos Aires-Auckland-Sydney. Auckland and Sydney is served by LAN form Santiago de Chile on a daily basis and Buenos Aires-Sydney is served by Qantas, casually a Oneworld company. Soy basically LAN group covers the Pacific market very well, very efficiently. Other destinations are already covered by Oneworld and their hubs. :D

Aerolineas also served the Auckland-Sydney market. 4 to 5 times a week.

I give you the right hand for South-Africa. There is a market that can be exploited by LAN Group from buenos Aires. But Again, from sao paulo can be more attractive. Right know SAA fly's to Sao Paulo and is a member of star I think. TAM is a member of Star also. Once TAM and LAN decide on which alliance they will stay things can change on that route.

I know the argentina market because I live and fly here. :ok:

carlosgustavo
8th Jan 2011, 16:55
Very interesting topic about markets and business of aviation. In Spain Ryan air has several bases, their employees don´t pay taxes here, only a 6 % to Irish Gov. With this I want to say that everything is possible. I´m pretty sure LAN will do some big in Brazil, let’s see what they do, because Argentina the other option, is a bomb.
I rode what EagleA25 said about working In LAN, appreciate. Could anyone tell me what are the salaries in Lan? And more important, how are the rosters for A-320?
Gracias

kottax
10th Jan 2011, 11:52
Hi!

Is there any spanish pilot around that works for lan in chile. i'd like to get in touch with him, since i need some information since i'm moving there soon.

Algun piloto español que trabaje para lan en chile por aquí?me gustaria contactar con alguno ya que me voy para allá pronto.

Gracias!

carlosgustavo
10th Jan 2011, 20:07
Hi Rottax good news for you, I think you are going to something good. I hope you find somebody to help you. Maybe how could help with my two questions, Salary and Roster ( Salario y programacion) in Lan.

Thank you

leondelfierro
11th Jan 2011, 18:12
I'm not on the company, anyway it's called Sueldo y Rol de vuelo around here, get used to it...

Rol can be adjusted in two ways 5 on 2 off and 10 on 4 off

Pay should be around U$5000 full pay for F/O, low time F/O around U$3600, then would go up in a one or two years term to the standard pay.

70 Ex-Mexicana guys came here, just 12 made it trough screening

Dont forget the license conversion.

ElJeke
11th Jan 2011, 23:01
Hi folks,

Did somebody that did the interview in Miami got a response from LAN Peru?

Cheers!!!

chileno 777
12th Jan 2011, 00:29
Think that the F/O starting salary with Lan Chile is 1.200.000 pesos net (1 USD = 490 pesos).

leondelfierro
12th Jan 2011, 02:24
Nope, not anymore due to union negotiation i've been said, nowadays its U$2800 but i didn't mention that since only nationals are hired with low time (Below 1000 Hours), when you move up from the 1000 hours you get the payrise...

chileno 777
12th Jan 2011, 14:42
Thanks for the clarification leondefierro.
So basically if you are local with less than 1000 hrs starting salary is 2800 USD and with more than 1000 hrs is 3600 USD?

leondelfierro
12th Jan 2011, 15:48
Thats absolutely and positively right... Saludos!

carlosgustavo
15th Jan 2011, 23:29
Thankyou leon, and what about Captains?

AlespeedyGonzalez
17th Jan 2011, 03:25
:eek::\ sorry guys here i go again.

hi everyone... i am new around here. I am a chilean guy living in New Zealand for a while now. and now that i finished my commercial pilot training i will return to chile to convert my New Zealand license to chilean license. and then i hope to apply for a position in LAN as a F/O.

i'd like to ask, if any of you could inform me about the location of the LAN H.R. offices in Stgo. so i could go and drop my C.V. there.

Also i am looking for a flying school to convert my license with. has anybody done the conversion of a foreign license in chilito before??
need some tips...:confused: any good school? anyone. how long will it take, and how much cash?

thanks guys

warm regards from N.Z.

speedy.

leondelfierro
17th Jan 2011, 11:55
Hi CarlosGustavo I'll try to find out, all my friends are F/O, but ill try to get some info on Capt Salaries.
Speedy I know it's dumb, but we must use english on this forum

AlespeedyGonzalez
17th Jan 2011, 18:39
:eek::\ hahhaha ok here I go again.

hi guys i am new around these woods. sorry...:} I am chilean guy living in New Zealand for a while now and as most of you i am also a Commecial pilot. I decided to go back home to convert my N.Z. License, to get the chielan one, and then apply for a position as a F/O in LAN.

I'd like to know if anybody knows where should I go to drop my C.V. any idea where the H.R. offices are in Stgo.?

I fund an email address in one of the earlier comments, i've been trying to send my C.V there but not luck.. ""[email protected]"" if any body knows any other email address. the info will be most appreciated.

also iam trying to find a good flying school to convert my license. has anybody done the conversion of a foreign license in Chilito before?? how long would it take? and how much money?? :confused:
need some tips :ok:

warm regards from N.Z. to you all

speedy:}

capt_j
20th Jan 2011, 23:49
I applied online and got the message my application was "accepted". I didn't have all the documents they requested though, such as certificate of English or Spanish proficiency.

Has anybody heard recently from the company, one way or another?

OptimusClimb
21st Jan 2011, 19:07
Hey guys I know some of you guys interview in MIA or santiago. I'm going down next month if you could please message me or reply on the forum with more information about your experience it will be highly appreciated since I hardly don't know anyone down there! any information will help to study for the interview.

ElJeke
27th Jan 2011, 14:54
Did somebody get an answer from the interviews conducted in MIA in december 2010....?

N-1
2nd Feb 2011, 17:02
To me, it's not funny that no one can get a job in Mexico due to nationality requirements and when a company is gone in bankruptcy this taco pilots claims for jobs everywhere else. A non written reciprocity law should be applied to Mexican pilots, they shouldn't be admitted anywhere out of Mexico.

carlosgustavo
3rd Feb 2011, 13:47
Take it easy N-1. This is a helping forum for collegues. I understand your point, but the only way to open the Mexican maket is by showing them that they are not different to us. I don´t mind If a mexican pilot is comming to my country to work, as long they have the required level and do better than I in the test.

Close makets make bad proffesional, I´m sure just a few mexican pilots give the standard worldwide.For my the real problems is, Do Airlines headquarters have a clue on Aviation? Don´t ask about politicians..

capt_j
3rd Feb 2011, 23:09
I wouldn't count on seeing any openness from Mexico, ever. Mexico plays by its own rules.

bas1234
5th Feb 2011, 15:43
Has LAN Chile taken Ab initios who just left school with 170 hours?

leondelfierro
6th Feb 2011, 15:11
As far as i know, That's only for nationals by now...

Yeager08
6th Feb 2011, 17:51
Leon,

Yeah. Didn't LAN post an ad on El Mercurio a few months ago stating that they wouls consider pilots with only a private license and LAN would put them through commercial training.

How is it going for you? Still flying that King Air? I'm back flying Air Ambulance in a Commander. Might be back in la calle Valparaiso in April or May.

Y.

leondelfierro
9th Feb 2011, 14:11
Yeah. Didn't LAN post an ad on El Mercurio a few months ago stating that they wouls consider pilots with only a private license and LAN would put them through commercial training.
How is it going for you? Still flying that King Air? I'm back flying Air Ambulance in a Commander. Might be back in la calle Valparaiso in April or May.

Hi Yeager, yeah still king air, soon the 350 if lucky, and some Jet if everything goes extremely well... Trying to take the BizAviation Route... most friends already Joined LAN though, hahaha:E

The Newspaper ad was for "surveying" purposes mainly, they cant hire people with less than 200TT, but they wanted to know how many pilots were in the National market preparing to try join LAN, they made a meeting in some hotel in Santiago and (Internally) assigned a timeframe to the hour difference to reach the 200TT... lets say Pilots with 150TT IFR would be asked to take the tests in 6 Months, Pilots With 180 TT IFR in 3 and so on... So in that way the company can make a projection of the extra-chilean pilots they might need.

So they wont put them through commercial training. Although i have heard of certain Internal program to PAY to train Pilots, that means reaching 150TT AND passign your screening (The very same that all pilots take to join) they would extend a Guarantee Letter (Is that well said?) to you to borrow money from a certain Bank to finish your training, this program is only for ground or non flightdeck personnel and Capt or FO sons.

Lan Chile Itself would not train ab-initio pilots in the near future, they have plans to hire a major Flight School here in Chile (Pretty much the same thing they did in Peru) to provide trained pilots but thats 2012 onwards and is only a project by now.

That's it

Cheers everyone

rcl7700
9th Feb 2011, 16:45
There are Mexican pilots flying all over the world. Same goes for a lot of other Latin American nationals. If LAN is allowed to hire foreign nationals then blame LAN and/or the respective governments, not the pilots responding to the ad.

Blohm
9th Feb 2011, 19:22
In those countries all pilots are well connected one way or another, or they would not be pilots in the first place. They tell their government what the rules will look like, in their favour naturally. Recipical treatment is the only answer, hard to achieve however.

Blohm
9th Feb 2011, 20:04
...reciprocal...

rcl7700
10th Feb 2011, 08:02
Once again, generalizations are never good. Not every pilot in Mexico is well connected and because of that the government tailors the law to them. If that were the case their connections could've brought the government into the bankruptcy process to keep Mexicana operating (the pilot union asked for that on numerous occasions, Calderon said the government would not step in).

The law requiring Mexican Citizenship to hold anything higher than a PPL in Mexico stems from the close proximity to the US. In the early days of commercial aviation there was more availability of US pilots to fly the aircraft in the emerging aviation business in Mexico (Charles Lindbergh flew for Mexicana). Mexicana was owned by Americans and the planes were flown by Americans. These laws came as a result of that years later.

Protecting jobs in your country is not a new thing. Some countries have laws others do it in more subtle ways (airline policy, pilot union rules, language requirements, license requirements etc). Airlines like TACA require Central American Citizenship. I understand Brazil has a similar rule to Mexico. Reciprocity would only exist as a result of demand. If tomorrow Mexican airlines have to ground planes due to pilot shortages the law would be changed. The same would happen anywhere else.

Blohm
10th Feb 2011, 11:45
True, and governments are voted in by citizens. Accountability has to start somewhere to bring changes about.

pacrion
10th Feb 2011, 13:49
Just applied for them and not expecting too much honestly. Fresh cpl holder with just 230 hrs tt all current. Any hopes? Are they calling or doing assessments?
Info would be appreciated, regards.

OptimusClimb
15th Feb 2011, 03:13
Hey guys leondelfierro,Yeager08

seems like you guys know some information that I may be looking into, I was ask to come down for the interview been holding off because I need to study and I didn't have the time or money to come down. You guys have any recommandations on place to stay that is not much or and any insight information that may help me out on the interview??

inmigrante
25th Feb 2011, 16:56
Hi , everybody.
I am an ATPL flying as Cap in my country . However the taxes are killing me , I will aply to LAN , A friend tell me to try in Perú.
That s my question : how about salary , roster , cost of living and so on .
¿ could I save some money or not?
Thanks a lot

capt_j
26th Feb 2011, 20:55
Awhile ago the website was showing openings in Peru, for which "ciudano equitoriano" was required (not sure which countries that applies to, Ecuador, Peru and maybe others?) and Argentina, for which an Argentinian passport was required.

I just tried to check current openings but when I click on the "postular" button it sends you back to the sign on screen.

Are they hiring in Chile now? Any shot for a gringo?

inmigrante
27th Feb 2011, 14:13
Thanks OW , I really apreciate your information, actually I am flying regional with the same menu : 12 hs of service, 6 legs in a day and so on , the cities are day to day more unsafe , and barely I take on hand about 48 to 55 K Us dollar and for sure NO SAVINGS , life here ( third world country ) life is everedays more expensive .
I am evaluating Midle East and LPerú .
Best regards , any info is welcome

inmigrante
27th Feb 2011, 14:17
Cap J : , the term is : Comunidad Andina , thets include Equator, Bolivia ; Perú , Chile and Spain . However I recomends you ( if speak spanish ) try in Lan Chile , actually hiring. However if you fly CRJ try in PLUNA , Uruguay.
Best regards

capt_j
1st Mar 2011, 04:04
I looked at it again and figured out what I was doing wrong. On the sign in page, rather than clicking "ingresar" you need to click on "ofertas empleo" and it takes you to the page where it shows what jobs are open. It now shows Chile, with "hablar espanol" but no citizenship requirement.

newFE
10th Apr 2011, 09:44
Spain? :ugh:

capt_j
10th Apr 2011, 16:35
Do you need to convert your license to get their interest?

materazzi
11th Apr 2011, 00:51
Conversión is not a must for LAN Chile, they will take care of that... It s true that it takes awhile for them to answer u, but dont give up, try calling them and you will get there

materazzi
11th Apr 2011, 00:56
pacrion Just applied for them and not expecting too much honestly. Fresh cpl holder with just 230 hrs tt all current. Any hopes? Are they calling or doing assessments?
Info would be appreciated, regards.

Last thing you have to lose is hope. I've met candidates with 250hrs who got called, from México and Puerto Rico... So dont lose that hope..

rmimbe
19th Apr 2011, 02:38
A few months ago I was invited for an interview that was supposed to be completed in a week or so; instead I was held in Peru for about two months and let me teld you, that wasn't cheap nor easy, yet again they didn't care, apparently that's the way things work over there. I was yet to find out that your flying skills and ratings don't matter much. What really matters is if: "CLAUDIA RODRIGUEZ" from the hiring department, likes you or not, even though she doesn't know anything about flying. So be very very nice to her from they one. Me, a guy from Spain and few other americans just waisted our time and money because at the end of the excruciatingly painful non-technical interview (a CFI job requires more technical knowledge here in the states) were just told: I am sorry but you don't meet the profile of a LAN pilot. Never got a straight response about what that meant. What really surprised me was a night that this girl, an Airbus 319 SIC asked me if I can train her for the NDB approach into Cajamarca (who knows where is located) because she had to fly next day there. Train her in a FS2004. yeap! So this girl is qualified but we are not? the guy from Spain who interview in my group was already a A-320 SIC for a company that went out of business in Spain and wasn't qualified? Don't know what Claudia Rodriguez is really looking for.
Be prepared and good luck.

capt_j
19th Apr 2011, 16:09
>>Conversión is not a must for LAN Chile, they will take care of that... It s true that it takes awhile for them to answer u, but dont give up, try calling them and you will get there<<

Who can I call? I've tried looking for a directory but couldn't find anything. I found Tamara Maldonado's email and sent her my resume; I don't know if that was a faux pas.

mlindb
19th Apr 2011, 22:11
rmimbe,

I think exactly as you do. Even before you can prove in a simulator test that you are able to fly an airplane or not, HR people, who knows nothing about the whereabouts of flying, decide wether or not you are suitable for the job. It seems that answering FAA questions that were never practically used in my airline years, completing stupid phrases or give a meaning to some ink spots is the best way to assess an individual´s ability to fly an airliner.
In my case I got the typical letter: "Usted no ha sido seleccionado". When I asked them why I got no response, of course, as those people are known for not willing to give any explanations, either for cowardice or arrogance. Being treated like **** (being invited for an interview in another country without airline tickets or hotel acommodation, not answering my emails or doing it only after several days trying, and finally being rejected without further explanation) for those unrespectful, careless low level examples of human beings hurt me more than not being hired.
Like you, I still want to know what a LAN pilot´s profile is all about, as I am sure it will give me the meaning of life and/or ensure my immortality.

rmimbe
20th Apr 2011, 20:06
mlindb,

Wow, looks like it's more common than I thought :eek:

Among all the things that amazed me was the fact that they will call me at 8 or 9pm and schedule me for the next day first time in the morning and every single time; when I was on my way to the appointment I will get a call postponing it for a few hours later or for a different day and/or if they didn't make any changes I will have to wait in the waiting room for a few hours until they come out and get me. So much lack of consideration :* .
I made it all the way to the full panel interview and still took them a week and a half to tell me that I didn't have the LAN pilot's profile. Nobody thank me for my interest in the company nor anything like.
It did make me change my point of view about how the airline industry treats you in the States. I thought it was bad but NOOO. I came to appreciate what I have here. If you are used to respect and consideration it will be a little shocking.
Pay is good for peruvian standards but that is about it.

For all those interested in a job with LAN, be ready to spend more money and time that you are expecting for your interview. I even had to quit my job but I was lucky I was able to get it back. It's a different culture and a different way of living.

Chears

mlindb
20th Apr 2011, 22:24
Unfortunately you are right, rmimbe, it is a cultural issue. I have been treated exactly the same way in all airlines I applied to in latin america (3), while on the other hand I have worked for three companies in three different continents and never experienced such a contempt for people.
And it is unlikely it will change, as long as pilot´s recruitment is in the hands of HR (recursos inhumanos), people who don´t know or care a thing about all the sacrifices and hassles pilots go through (in most of the cases, at least) in order to get a job in an airline, let alone deciding upon someone´s ability to fly.
But hey, those are the people hired to maximize a company´s profit at the expense of their employees, aren´t they? I guess it is like asking Pinochet to be tolerant.

rayuae
22nd Apr 2011, 15:45
Guys, no offence, but maybe in Latin America we just prefer to employ latin americans.

mlindb
23rd Apr 2011, 04:00
Well, I am not sure that is the case, since I am a latin american, and so were many of the guys that were treated the same way as I was.
Anyway, rayuae, I think that was a pitiful comment, since so many latin americans are working abroad nowadays.

materazzi
25th Apr 2011, 03:00
Guys, this has nothing to do with the HR person (in this case Claudia). Nothing to do about how nice you are with her. The LAN "profile" they create it through their standards and with Psychologists from LAN and from the outside. It's simple. If you are inside the box, you are good. How do you have to be, or act, to be inside the box? We don't know. Usually, these people from HR, they are also psychologists... so don't think the answer comes directly on how much you like to the HR person...

about the bad experience, on the interview taking longer than expected, that is directly fault from LAN and they HR people who are supposed to have arranged that for the candidates, who come from the outside, and usually have jobs at the moment...

good luck ;)

capt_j
6th Jun 2011, 23:24
A few days ago I was able to view my application, but now I can' figure out how. I wanted to add the last pages of my logbook but I couldn't figure out how to do that either. Any idea where these are?

newFE
6th Aug 2011, 09:47
hey, I noticed that they put numbers or codes in my work experience. Do someone know what could be that codes?

ALATJP
16th Aug 2011, 15:26
I am new in this forum...

I would like to ask you if you could give me some advices, I took some exams in Madrid and probably I would go to Lima to work for Lan Peru.

You know, it's a bit tough and I have no idea what I will find or what to be care of...

Thanks in advance Ow.:ok:

ALA

planeshots
20th Aug 2011, 03:31
Hey guys, I applied to LAN Peru January 2011. Like most of the other guys I was given the same old routine. I was there for 2 full months going through this process. Very frustrating and expensive to say the least. They also told me I didn't meet the profile after having done exceptionally well in all the other portions of the interview process. I won't go into all the detail cause I'm still a bit disappointed with all that they had me go through for nothing. I received a call from them after about 2 weeks (after I had been back in the states about a week) and was told I was not selected. I was told I could reapply in 1 year. It seems like an awfully long time to wait while most other airlines say you could reapply in 6 month. Anyone have any feedback on this. Not sure if I will reapply, just want to make sure. Being born in Peru but having been brought up in the States since I was 5, I don't know if I have the "whatever" it is they're looking for that meets their Pilot profile. People in Peru are very different in their thinking and way of being. I don't know if I can get used to it, but I'm willing to try if I got hired. Appreciate any info.

BaronRouge777
20th Aug 2011, 06:28
N1 you are correct!

Be Mexican by nationality is not enough, you have to be by blood! And this is the truth. I am married to a Mexican girl, could get the citizenship if I wanted to, but would never be able to fly for an airline in Mexico! This is the most RACIST law I have ever seen!!!!!
Many Mexican pilots work outside of Mexico!
This needs to STOP, reciprocity should be applied until they change this stupid law !!!!!!!

cosmiccomet
21st Aug 2011, 00:44
Planeshots, don't be discourage for been rise in US. There are many cases in LAN Peru of Peruvians who were grown abroad and there is even a case of a guy who didn't speak any Spanish at the moment he was hired.

By the way LAN Peru also hires expatriates from the Pacto Andino, Argentinians and some Spaniards so you should not be worried of been rejected for living out of PERU.

Relax, look for another company, if you are interested for flying down the South you can also try applying for TACA Peru.

Bomb900
21st Sep 2011, 00:42
To all who complain about not being hired by LAN.

First. Actually, noone company in the world pays passages or acomodation for applicants. In Europe or USA is inconceivable today.

Second. It is clear that all companies seeking national, is not racism, but it is common sense: nationals will have a tendency to stay in their country.

Thirth. LAN Chile pays and TR and LT. That spending has to be retrieve it. To do this you must ensure that the pilot is psychologically prepared, not only flies well or have enough knowledge. That contempt for psychology is what has led many to fail.

Fourth. In assesments with European companies or Yankees, even have to pay the interview. It is not the case for LAN.

I am sorry, but the old times when if you were Yankee or European you could pass over nationals, but no vice versa to latinamericans in USA or Europe are (fortunately) OVER. :D

Best regards.

EagleA25
8th Oct 2011, 17:41
BaronRouge777,

meaning no offense, but in my younger years I spend a fortune (almost 45% of my income at the time) to legally be employed in the United States and at the time the demand was huge for Airline Pilots. I paid my taxes, worked 9-10 hours a day, but still was not allowed to stay any much longer as my lawyer ... WHY should other countries treat North Americans different?!?
In my case, I was educated in Europe (the UK to be exact), trained in the States (and paid for it!), live and work in S. America using my birth right... That "racism" you talk about is what comes in reciprocity to your own, local laws...!
But how about this: When you come visit S. America for your interview, you first make an appointment 12 weeks ahead of time for an appointment, then go to the Embassy of the country, wait 4 hours in line without air conditioning, then explain to the guy behind a bullet proof glass that you will not illegally stay by giving him all your private, personal bank account information, the ones you would not even show your boss or your extended family, then hope for 48 hours they will not deny you the visa, and THEN get the visa ONLY for the days you planed to stay there (hope your vacation will not get cancelled!) and be treated like a threat when you are in that country. All of that treatment for a cute fee of US$154.95 (to be paid ahead, even if your request is denied!)
You guys voted for Bush... so suck it up ;)
Again, no offense!

Eagle

EagleA25
8th Oct 2011, 17:54
Bomb900

I agree completely...!
As long as we can't go work all expences paid in American Airlines, United or Air France, why should the Yankee, Brit or Australian come over here... In Mexico, the law of pure blood is still in effect, that means to be in command of a vessel of aircraft with Mexican registration, being a national is not sufficient: You have to been born on Mexican soil!

We need Pilots in S.America, but not at the cost of prostituting our self's out to foreigners. Everyone saw what happened in ETIHAD when FedEx And United hired their furlough back, everyone left within a heart beat while the rest had to fly extra. They left and it cost the company a fortune, a fortune that could break companies like TAM or LAN or GOL...

Good luck!
Eagle

shoreline
8th Oct 2011, 19:52
The positions are for A320 FO only, based in SCL,

capt_j
13th Oct 2011, 16:11
All well said, but I will still say it is true that it is easier for foreigners to come to the US than the opposite.

The economy of the US is based on cheap labor- the cheapest labor possible, so the people who run the country want to bring in as much labor as they can to keep wages down. EagleA25, I am surprised that you were not able to stay. All the foreign pilot students I knew stayed and became permanent residents and work in the airline industry here, unless they had airline jobs waiting back home.

But it is a pointless argument in any case. Whether you live in a "democracy" or a "people's republic" there is a group of people who run things and decide who is allowed into the country, and they make that decision on what they perceive will increase their power and wealth.

BaronRouge777
13th Oct 2011, 19:02
Eagle A25,
What does Bush has to do with the fact Mexico only hires Mexicans by blood to fly planes registered there. Sorry but this is unfair and needs to stop! How many Mexicans are flying in the US and all over the planet? Not sure how your personal story relates to this. And sorry, there is no other terms to qualify this law other than plain racist: if you're not Mexican by blood, you can't work here!!! And we're only talking about flying an airplane, not being President of Mexico!

eduardo.alibert
18th Oct 2011, 03:52
Hey guys, how are you?

My name is Eduardo I´m 25 years old, i´m from Venezuela but I have the peruvian nationality too.

I`d like to know if anyone of you could help me. I´ve always wanted to be a pilot and i`d like to do it as you all know the airlines market in Venezuela is not the best and I´ve been seeing the oportunities that exist in Peru, for example with LAN Peru and their trainning program.

There are many offers but I don´t know what is the best way to get to flight with lan?

Should I study in Usa and after having try to get into LAN or should I get my private in Usa and after that postulate to LAn trainning program or is better get the private in Peru and try to get in their trainning program.

Well as you can see I´m kind of lost and because my age I don´t have any time to lose any help that you can provide me will be helpfull

Thanks a lot in advance

johnnyringo42
27th Nov 2011, 04:37
SOUTH AMERICAN CARRIERS ARE RACIST!!!!!! Carriers in the USA hire you based on merits and not where you are from...

PA38-Pilot
27th Nov 2011, 15:31
johnnyringo42,

Try getting into one without being an American, or having a green card. You'll see they are FAR more "racist" as you call them, than most countries in South America.

Gusz
27th Nov 2011, 17:40
Hey eduardo!
Pls get an education first! Get your degree in some other field other than aviation, then get your ratings and flight time.
Right now the market is very competitive, plenty of pilots with thousands of hours looking for jobs..
Cheers!

mokilu
13th Dec 2011, 08:16
Does someone know why the hell is LAN Perú looking for pilots through Aeroprofessional?

"A320 Experienced A320 Captains and Direct Entry Captains - South America - FD (406)
(Immediately wanted)
Aeropro is currently seeking a number of experienced Captains rated on the Airbus A320. They will join our Client who is based in South America on a permanent basis. Our client is a well-established Airline based in an attractive area of the world offering permanent relocation contracts. We will also consider Captains and First Officers with other type ratings that have at least 5000hrs Total Time and 3000Hrs Jet Time on a case by case basis. This is an excellent opportunity to join a friendly and professional airline if you meet the requirements. Screenings will consist of a Telephone interview and a Simulator assessment in the clients Base. Flights and accommodation will be provided by the Client for attendance to the assessments. Candidates successful at the SIM will be made offers subject to successful completion of the following: Formal Interview and English test to be conducted at the Base of Operations. These processes are carried out in the first week of arrival at the Clients base. You will then begin a training course and license validation procedure with local DGCA. Start date would be negotiated on a case by case basis, depending on individual notice periods/circumstances.
Hide details
Apply now!
Requirements:
Must hold a valid A320 Type Rating. Any valid and current ATPL accepted (ICAO/JAA/FAA)
Must hold a Class 1 medical certificate
Must have flown on the type within the last 6 months
Must hold at least an English ICAO level 4 and fluent Spanish
Must hold a minimum of 5,000 Hrs. Total Time and 3000 Hrs. Jet Time
Must be a national of the Andean Community of Nations. Spanish Nationals or Spanish Speaking Latin America Countries will be considered."

FlyingOW
13th Dec 2011, 17:31
Mokilu,

Because about 8 or 10 Airbus Captains resigned in Nov, (for Qatar, Emirates & Vietnam)..:eek:

This is just the beginning, just like back in 2006-7 when about 30 pilots left (out of a total of 120 back then, now 400 total of which 250 are Airbus typed).

The company has aggressive expansion plans but just doesn't get it...:ugh:

E T I H A D and Qatar recruiting in Lima in Jan & Feb apparently...:D;)

OW

mokilu
13th Dec 2011, 19:06
Will these contract pilots need to sign the 50,000 USD bond?

Tango01
17th Dec 2011, 23:14
Can anyone please fill me in regarding the written exams you are required to take during the selection process?

I read somewhere about the ASA ATP & IFR 2010.

-Are the exams in English or Spanish?

-Do the questions come from the FAA ATPL/IFR Banks or do they make up their own questions?

-Are you required to study ASA 2010 or can you use Gleim? (found 2012 and 2011, but not 2010 Edition by the way)

Thanks guys!

T

cosmiccomet
17th Dec 2011, 23:25
I can not tell about LAN Chile or LAN Peru, but LAN Argentina is using the FAA ATPL questioner bank, so you can study for any of them, ASA or Gleim should be OK.

4M is not taking the IFR written exam anymore, so be ready for 68 to 100 questions in English.

Good luck.

leondelfierro
19th Dec 2011, 02:53
4M is not taking the IFR written exam anymore, so be ready for 68 to 100 questions in English

Same in Chile, 100 questions, score 80% or more, then you're still on the game for the following stage

Flyerdude
26th Dec 2011, 02:25
Hi there,

I know that Lan(chile) is demanding FO CPL/IR/SE with minimum of 200tt for locals, I'm chilean but I'd like to pass my commercial in USA first.
could anyone tell me how much will it cost to convert a CPL FAA into a Chilean one ?

thanks

daac
18th Jan 2012, 01:56
Any one has info for LAN Ecuador ?

materazzi
21st Jan 2012, 21:18
@ flyerdude

get your FAA certificates in USA, and then come to Chile, LAN will accept FAA license even if you are Chilean, they will do the conversion process for you. You will only have to take a written exam to get you Commercial .

cosmiccomet
23rd Jan 2012, 11:37
LAN Argentina hires Argentinian citizens with Argentinian License.
Minimum Requirements:
-Piloto Comercial de Primera license, It is a license you can get after logging 900 hrs after PPL check out.
Argentinian CPL is not allow to fly Part 121, only Part 135.
-At least ICAO English 4 level written in the Argentinian License.
The Argentinian Aviation Authority doesn't accept the ICAO English lvl written in your foreign license. So you have to take the exam in Argentina not matter if you are coming from UK.
-At least 25 hrs multi time.
-Radio Operator license.
By the way LAN Argentina is not recruiting at this moment because the Argentinian government is imposing operating restrictions and not authorizing new routes.
LAN Argentina is too efficient for the Argentinian market so the only way the government sees to make Aerolineas Argentinas more productive is to restrict the growing of LAN Argentina.

LAN Argentina is operating 12 Airbus A320 plus 2 Boeing B767-300ER.
If DSM gets the authorization for additional routes we are going to take a 3rd B767 and the recruitment of 24 pilots.
At this moment 17 pilots are short listed with all the Pilot Selection process approved waiting up to one year after the approval of the Psycological test.

7Q Off
23rd Jan 2012, 12:13
Cosmic is right. Maby an other A320 but by the end off 2012.

cosmiccomet
24th Jan 2012, 10:13
LAN Argentina will not do any paper work for you.
If you don't get the Argentinian License (Comercial de Primera or ATPL) from ANAC, DSM will not take your application under consideration.

All the conversion process from your FAA License to Argentinian ones is under your own.
So it takes time and money, so If I were you I would visit the ANAC in Buenos Aires inquiring for the conversion process which is not so easier or shorter than in US.

You have also to take the course and the exam for the Radioperator license.

You should count in not less than 6 month to 1 year to have all the process done.

About having the B767 type rating in my opinion is a waste of money because everybody join LAN Argentina through the Baby Bus A320.
There are only 2 B767 and 12 A320... so many people is ahead of any newbie waiting their opportunity to fly the 76.

Blohm
24th Jan 2012, 17:58
....gal...

Tango01
7th Feb 2012, 18:36
Hey guys, couple more questions (please and thank you)

1. Does anyone know if I need to convert to Chilean CPL/MIFR BEFORE applying to LAN Chile or do you apply with your ICAO Licence and THEN ONCE A JOB OFFER IS IN EFFECT (if that was to occur), I convert?

2. Does anyone have any knowledge/advice on the Psychometric Type of Evaluations done by LAN. Is there a way to prepare?

3. Is the SIM EVALUATION on an A320/B767?

4. I have ASA ATP 2012 for the knowledge exams. Are the questions from the FAA Bank?

5. If I HAVE TO convert to Chilean CPL (as asked above) in order to apply, can anyone recommend a Flight School that I can do the convertion?

Thanks guys/gals!

cosmiccomet
9th Feb 2012, 10:00
Tango01,

You don't have to convert your ICAO license into Chilean one before applying.

The minimum requirements are ICAO CPL and at least English Lvl 4.

After passing the selection process, LAN is going to sponsor you for the license conversion in Chile. As far as I know it only takes a multiple choice exam based in the FAA ATPL questionnaire, Glenn or AsA should be OK.
You should also pass the ICAO English Lvl 4 exam in Chile, the Chilean Aviation Authority doesn't take into consideration your foreign license English certificate.

All this process is taken during the Indoctrination/Initial training in Santiago de Chile before flying the SIM.

About the Psychometric, the best answer I can give you is be yourself.
There were many who prepared themself using the service of a Psychologist in LIMA and the answers were all the same...of course they passed the test but LAN found the trick and all of them were failed.

I don't know about the sim evaluation in Chile, but in LAN Argentina is taken using a Flight Simulator 2004 choosing the B737 Classic airplane.
As far as I know LA is not using the A320/B767 SIMs for the evaluation

Tango01
9th Feb 2012, 12:24
Thank You!!!

arvida
9th Feb 2012, 15:22
They say on their website CPL with IFR valid, does it mean that you can apply with only a class 3 IFR?

Is it mandatory to speak spanish, I heard that the interview is done in the local language?

themagicman00
10th Feb 2012, 01:24
I was told Instrument Rated. If you have your ATP you dont have to worry about that.

diego727
1st Mar 2012, 01:22
Anybody heard anything recently from LAN Chile?

themagicman00
1st Mar 2012, 04:05
I submitted my paperwork two weeks ago and was told to contact a lady in LAN Argentina, but then after speaking with the lady, they realized I don't have an argentinian CPL or TLA (my stuff is FAA) Perhaps they will refer back to LAN Chile, not sure.

chrislikesblue
5th Mar 2012, 05:13
Anyone would have the contact of the HR or Chief Pilot in Lan Chile preferably or other airline of the same group? I would like to speak to them regarding possible recruitment. I do not speak Spanish,would that be a problem? I understand foreigners have more chances in LAN Chile than the rest of the cmpanies in other latin countries,is that correct?

PA38-Pilot
5th Mar 2012, 16:48
As far as I know, Spanish is a must.

themagicman00
5th Mar 2012, 20:48
Spanish is a "must". You can fill the questionary on Lan.com and get a personal profile. Basically, you have to be able to communicate in spanish and have ICAO level 4 English.

chrislikesblue
6th Mar 2012, 12:47
Thanks for the info. Do you have any tel/email of flight ops or hr ?
I think I would better call them and find out more details.

drag king
7th Mar 2012, 12:42
Hola folks!

I have submitted my application to LAN Chile/Argentina/Colombia 5 mins ago...:uhoh:

I am an experienced (light) TP F/O and I have a working knowledge of Spanish. I have little or no trouble getting around, have a social chat with people, order food & drinks, asking for directions and watching news on telly. However I don't have a Spanish language certificate, only a CAA-certificated Level 6 and all the other UK-stamped bits and bobs.

Do you think I stand any chance to be invited for a selection? How long after submitting your details did you get called by LAN?

Suerte

DK :ok:

chrislikesblue
7th Mar 2012, 17:46
I am also interested to apply but I cant find any link on their website for application. Do you mind passing me the link? What type of experience they require?

fabjet2
8th Mar 2012, 02:27
Hi,

Did anybody go to the interview lately in 2012?
If so can you give a debrief?

Thanks.

claser111
13th Mar 2012, 10:10
Hi guys, any chilean pilot over there? Chile is a beautiful country and Lan Chile looks like a nice company where to work regarding the network and the fleet, but no many info on the web about the first officer position, i.e. roster, salary, t/c and so on. Does anybody has some info???
Thanks and happy landings

materazzi
8th Apr 2012, 11:19
look at this same thread, pages before, it explains everything you are asking for, rosters, salaries, etc

tangalanga
11th Apr 2012, 13:52
Some of you guys are funny, or totally naif,sorry, but is the true.
Do you really think that Lan or any otter company in the area will hire you if you don't speak spanish?
Like this guy asking for the phone number to "call and talk" to them, about recruitment...how are you going to talk my friend?London or Liverpool accent?. Slow down Chuck Yeager, they need pilots for sure, but I don't think they are waiting by the phone for your call...The Chief Pilot e-mail...yes... like the most important thing that he has to do is recruit a low-experience guy that not even speaks the language.If you cannot find in the web-site how to apply how do you pretend to get along wit more complicated tasks.
I cleaned floors and parked cars for years in the US, learning english, before I was able to seat in a Sessna, so how you dear to pretend to be hire by a successful airline like Lan when you cannot even communicate. Please.

claser111
11th Apr 2012, 17:20
Thanks Materazzi,
I've found some info but still missing few details. I think 3600 USD is the basic salary for FO (>1000hrs) in Lan Chile, not the final figure. What about the perdiem and the overtime? What is the average flight time per month? What about days off, annual leave and sick leave? It would be nice to have a complete figure from someone inside the company.

Just to clarify, we use to write in english because is a common language but it doesn't mean that we are not able to speak a good spanish or better we're from South America ;)
Anyway I don't understand why pilots from South America can work everywhere and gringos are not welcome in South America, aviation is for everybody and language shouldn't be a barrier. English is the aviation language. I understand the preference to andinos and spanish speakers... but shouldn't be a limit.

Saludos

The Dominican
11th Apr 2012, 19:29
Deleted......................

manfred33
11th Apr 2012, 23:30
SO does anybody have any current info on Pluna? I understand they are hiring through Avionco, but would like to really know the low-down on these guys. I know they are hiring for the CRJ-900 and i have a couple 1000 hours in the 900 as well as even more in the 200. Just really would like to know about the job, etc... Thanks.

PS- I already searched the forums and found the one other thread on Pluna, which simply talks about people not getting their money.... I am looking for some more in-depth info....

diego727
15th Apr 2012, 18:41
Has anybody been called for an interview lately?

materazzi
16th Apr 2012, 04:36
Claser111, South American pilots CAN'T work Everywhere... I can't work in the US... be thankful LAN is giving the chance to pilots to apply for such a great airline, flying A320, B763, B777, B787, or A340.. and the language requirement? that happens everywhere, go work for a Scandinavian airline, they have a language requirement... and Here is because all the process, since the 1st email you send, thru the Interview process, Indocrination, Ops manual, etc is in Spanish... the only thing is in English are the Flight Manuals for each Aircraft... about the Days Off, perdiem, etc, it's on this same thread.. just read..

claser111
16th Apr 2012, 10:13
Materazzi, thanks again for your answer! My thoughts on language was not referring only to South America...anyway I personally know many pilots from S.A. working in US, in Europe and in Asia. Good luck with LAN. :ok:

Genesis IV
19th Apr 2012, 16:39
I have Been listening rumors that LAN will have a hub in Guatemala???

drag king
22nd Apr 2012, 17:11
naif

the true

any otter company

Sessna

I hate to say but...you should have stuck on the basic tasks a bit longer, gringo.

I cleaned floors and parked cars for years in the US, learning english

Unless you are LAN's CP why does it bother you so much if someone ask for a tip, a contact or an email address trying to have that bit of an edge on more experienced and competitive guys and get his/her CV looked up first? Did you get your call out of the blue while cleaning floors and parking cars and filled applications in your time-off only?

DK ;)

capt_j
23rd Apr 2012, 03:40
The application page now says you can apply if you are not from a Spanish-speaking country, but you need a certificate of proficiency from Berlitz Chile. The test can only be taken in Santiago.

Lu0724
9th May 2012, 01:33
I heard LAN is trying to set a HUB in Guatemala. is this true???

leonardoperezsalles
23rd May 2012, 04:12
See the link I posted in Jobs...it seems it's for LAN Guate...

leondelfierro
23rd May 2012, 15:23
AFAIK not true, Taca maybe?

Lu0724
29th May 2012, 21:22
Where is that link at?? it seems they will be using Guate as HUB but no confirmation yet.

Lu0724
29th May 2012, 21:25
I saw the link, its very possible that is LAN Guate, TACA ? no way they dont look for candidates with time on the A320. we will see later on.

AVW
16th Jun 2012, 09:04
Is there a specific place where I can find the profile of the airline, (LAN CH, AR, PE, EC, CO) with information on, schedules, pay, upgrade, vacation, benefits, qualifications, key people and any other pertinent information ?

Thank you.

NikB
10th Jul 2012, 15:50
Hello all

I recently got an email from LAN asking to send them my papers (license medical) as well as a certificate from the CAA confirming my flight hours.I have a JAA license and the CAA here in Europe does not issue such a certificate.in fact that responsibility (that my flights hours are indeed real) lies on the school/ instructor as well as the student. Has anyone else been in the same predicament?What are some possible solutions?

speedbird1974
10th Jul 2012, 17:07
I have the same problem, LAN wants my logbook stamped or a certificate with my total time. I have a couple of certificates from different schools and from my last job, that's it! My current job will not give me a certificate of my hours flown there, just a paper showing the totals. I don't think the FAA in the US would stamp my logbooks. Anyone else with the same problem?:ugh:

ElJeke
10th Jul 2012, 19:52
Are they hiring Expat FO again?????? or is for Capt positions???

NikB
11th Jul 2012, 08:09
I'm not an expat, just a Chileno that got his license and built up hours abroad :)
And when I asked neither of the three CAA's (FAA/JAA?Canadian) stamp your logbook anymore :confused:

The Dominican
11th Jul 2012, 08:45
When I came to Japan they required a stamp on my logbook certifying the time as well, what I opted to do since I couldn't get such a certification from the FAA, nor from my previous airline, was to take my logbook to a notary public, raised my right hand and got my hours notarized, they accepted that, don't know if it could work for LAN.

elcapi1980
11th Jul 2012, 12:22
I beleive the Dominican is correct. But also, check the consulate . Some airline may require that you verified the hours that way. IT is just a way of they making sure you are not lying.

MDT06
11th Jul 2012, 15:12
I did what the Dominican said. After notarizing, I also did the process to get it Apostilled. It worked for me, no questions asked from the airline or aviation authority.

leondelfierro
11th Jul 2012, 15:35
I'm not an expat, just a Chileno that got his license and built up hours abroad
Take that Nice Logbook to Miguel Claro 1314, Providencia, Santiago (DGAC) while you´re in the conversion process and then they´ll stamp it for you, and extend you a Flight Time Certificate for near U$D 4.

Are they hiring Expat FO again?????? or is for Capt positions???

From a rumour standpoint is my understandig that LAN Chile has already filled the expat "Capacity" don't know if this is National regulation or Union negotiation (tend to think is the last one).
I've been hearing that only Chileans FO recruiting is on the move right now...
Anyway, as rumour always has it, seems that they'll be taking some Pluna guys, ¿where to? LAN Colombia and LAN Peru where the need for Capt looks kinda urgent.

Read this, and you'll see
LAN, Copa y BQB se disputan a los codiciados pilotos desempleados (http://www.elobservador.com.uy/noticia/227890/lan-copa-y-bqb-se-disputan-a-los-codiciados-pilotos-desempleados/)

NikB
12th Jul 2012, 01:08
Thanks a lot for your help guys!Much appreciated :D:ok:

dlcmdrx
13th Jul 2012, 15:09
Hey nikB, are you from Chile, if not do you have chilean passport. Are you applying for captain or fo?? When did they send you the email, how did you apply to them??

diego727
7th Aug 2012, 22:17
Any news for expats?

dlcmdrx
11th Aug 2012, 18:09
LAN Airlines pilot jobs, payscales and entry requirements. (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/LAN_Airlines)

And then read in another spaniard forum in which im not registered they have been firing all the spaniards.

They say its because Spaniards have a bad attitude but they also say there was bad treatment and conditions involved against this european spaniards from the south american peruvian pilots. ( Lan Perú )

My take: they might be making room for the pilots from Pluna?

diego727
13th Aug 2012, 17:32
I'm guessing that's LAN Peru only right?

ArmApp
17th Aug 2012, 08:45
I´ve heard LAN is not filling its needs for pilots, is that true?

FlyingOW
18th Aug 2012, 21:01
Peruvian aviation regs state that only Nationals be hired by airlines, with the exception of CAN nationals in recent times. Foreigners can only be hired if and when there aren't any locals who are suitably qualified. The aviation/labour lawyer mentioned in the article opposed the hiring of Spanish pilots because:

1. Plenty of unemployed local pilots.
2. There exist no reciprocity between Peru and Spain.

This can hardly be called racism, can it? Of course not. Seems perfectly acceptable to me. You want to hire foreign nationals? Ok, just give my guys the same opportunities in the their country, and give the guys on the street a chance first. Could I go and fly in Spain if I wanted to? Would Sepla allow it? Real question btw.

So the company was able to convince the government that skilled/rated Spanish pilots were necessary to meet LAN Peru's growing needs of expansion. And as Read, Speak & Write Spanish is an absolute must they looked towards Spanish shores to supplement the already culturally diverse work force.

The Spanish contingency were met with open arms by LPE Pilots. I personally get on quite well with most of them, and am told by most FOs they enjoy flying with them. Nevertheless more than half have left for pastures green of their own accord, with the exception of 1, and some have stayed and settled in (3 plus years and going) I take it the company is looking to recruit more DECs from Spain over the next year, so again clueless about the firing of Spaniards for Pluna guys.

Your post talks about bad attitude and bad treatment from "South American Peruvian Pilots". Why don't you ask those that stayed why they chose to do so, and why this who left did instead of making reference to other forums.

I hope this brings any further discussion on this subject to an end as I have no desire to waste any more of my time engaging in debate with you.

OW

chileno 777
19th Aug 2012, 19:04
This can hardly be called racism, can it? Of course not. Seems perfectly acceptable to me. You want to hire foreign nationals? Ok, just give my guys the same opportunities in the their country, and give the guys on the street a chance first. Could I go and fly in Spain if I wanted to? Would Sepla allow it? Real question btw.

Very well said!:D Can´t agree more.

mokilu
19th Aug 2012, 22:19
LAN Perú hired a bunch of DEC spaniards more some months ago. All of them with previous experience on A320.

They are happy and the compay too.

Actually 8 spaniards (from +-400 pilots) within Lanpe.

ElJeke
25th Aug 2012, 15:30
I have a Ecuatorian friend who is working for an airline in Spain, he come here, did his JAA conversion somehow get the "papers" and now is flying like anybody else.

I have not heard still a "law" that states that there is a limited number of foreigners that can fly in a Spanish airline. Just to keep in mind, as long as you speak Spanish and have the appropiate "papers" and license required you are more than welcome to come on board.

Not only that, I have another 2 Italians friends and one dutch that are working in another Spanish airline, and in a corporate company with absolutely no problems, they speak Spanish "fairly" well.

And if you look around Europe, if you have the right to work and live there and speak the language that is required (German, Polish, English, Spanish, French) somebody from outside the EU have exactly the same rights like somebody else from within the EU.

I am from Spain, however I HATE aviation in Spain that is why I want to go somewhere else, tried South America, Caribbean etc but no luck so far. In LAN Peru they told me that I pass the interview, (along with some other Colombians, Venezuelans, Americans) but the fact that I was from Spain drop me out of it at the time of the hiring (but not some of the others).

Regarding Copa.... They hire everybody for Captains, regarding FO's they dont like foreigners, they preffer send to the 737 sim Panamenians with 250 TT that does not speak English AT ALL, there is a high percentage of fresh Panamenians CPL's that FAIL the type rating, not because their skills, because some of them they do not even know how to say "Hola" in English.

I think we should leave on the side all this thing about racism and all this stuff because let me tell you that in EVERY country is a lot of racism with foreigners, in Spain, Peru and EVERYWHERE ELSE.

chileno 777
25th Aug 2012, 21:42
Eljeke,

You are not making a fare comparison because there is a quite big difference between foreigners that currently work in Europe and overseas citizens that pursue a job in Peru as pilots:

Foreign pilots in Europe must have the legal right to work in the EU (should be a legal resident) and the airline company does not sponsor this process. By the other way, expat pilots intending to work in Peru or in some countries in Latin America, do not have the legal right (they are not legal residents) neither are required to posses it in order to work there, and most of the time the company sponsor them with the visa in detriment of local pilots.

Question is: Would European pilots agree that foreign pilots were allowed to work in EU not having the right to work in the continent?

ElJeke
26th Aug 2012, 18:55
Chileno777,

I think is a totally fair comparison, that is why I expressed what I really think.

Most of the airlines does not help to get "work" permits, I went to an interview with AIRES (LAN Colombia), passed the interview, they told me as soon as I am able to get the "work permit" somehow to give them a call.

If a Chilean want to work in Iberia, I am going to explain you the process.... First get your JAA tickets, then get married with a Spanish girl and then apply to the airline that you wish to work.

In order to work in LAN and anywhere in South America you need a work permit otherwise the airline will not hire you,.... another different story is corporate, I know there are pilots working with Tourist visa, but that happen EVERYWHERE.

The answer to your question is NO, European pilots will not allow anybody without a work permit to work in Europe, the same applies to Chileans, Peruvians, Americans, etc...

By the way I am heading back to Africa next month, let me know where you are and we can talk about this over some beers!!!

Cheers!!!

chileno 777
26th Aug 2012, 21:10
Eljeke,

Sent u a PM. :ok:

cheers

simchekc
6th Sep 2012, 17:04
Forget it guys!!, It´s not a serious company.
I have some spanish friends waiting since one year ago.
LAN sent them a "wellcome letter"one year ago after they passed all the assesmet process, even they were instructed to contact with Chilean aviation in order to start with their licence conversion..., in fact some of them left their jobs due to the imminent company admission!!!, and after that the company dissapeared!!. No explanations, no news.... unanswered mails!!. No comments.

mokilu
14th Sep 2012, 15:26
@ themagicman00: of course you will get an interview.
They are eager to get experienced guys. Many FAPs inside LAN Peru.

Most of the new F/Os are completellly unexperienced, mostly because the do not find experienced people.

Try it!

dlcmdrx
15th Nov 2012, 02:19
Found out today that the LAN peru pilots union has banned all foreign pilot hiring. Only peruvian pilots will be hired.

themagicman00
15th Nov 2012, 02:54
Don't feel bad. I am a peruvian citizen, FAA and DGAC License with over 2000 hours and still did not even interview...it matters who you know too.

chileno 777
15th Nov 2012, 15:48
Does not say anything about nationality requirements:

Convocatoria LAN Colombia | Transponder 1200 (http://transponder1200.com/convocatoria-lan-colombia/)

dlcmdrx
15th Nov 2012, 17:02
I always thought colombian airlines required colombian passport.

carlin
15th Nov 2012, 19:53
MUY BUENO !!!!

VONKLUFFEN
26th Nov 2012, 11:45
To N1 who wrote about Mexican pilots do not allow foreigners to work in Mexico
N1 sorry but it is written on the Mexican constitution.
To change that would require more than political will.