PDA

View Full Version : Advice re setting up multi users

tony draper
30th Sep 2010, 19:52
Built a new machine for a neighbor,brand new Hard disk with new clean operating system installed I plan to stick the hard disk from the old machine in as a slave and copy their stuff across to the new Hard Disk.
Trouble is the machine has four different users each with their own log in and desktop/ profiles ect,last time I did this on their machine,it did not go very well, ie only one users stuff the first one copied got across successfully
Should the new Hard Disk be set up four users and empty profiles ect prior to the transfer transfer of files ect?
The machine is running XP Pro
Grateful for any advice.
:)

Mike-Bracknell
30th Sep 2010, 20:43
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>

...should contain the relevant user's filesystem. If I were you i'd copy that entire folder and it's subfolders into a new folder on the new system (e.g. c:\oldpc\documents and settings\...), and then let each user grab their own bits and pieces as necessary.

(your other option is to create new users on the new machine with the same names as the users on the old machine, and then copy the relevant folders from c:\documents and settings into the new machine's c:\documents and settings, however this is more likely to give you a headache if you don't get something entirely correct - e.g. you need to create the users prior to copying the files, etc).

Obviously, the above folder structure isn't exhaustive, and you should go looking for stray files/folders that the users would want if you have no intention of keeping the old hard drive attached in the new machine.

HTH.

Saab Dastard
30th Sep 2010, 22:03
Tony, if you are using the MS "wizard" to transfer files and settings, it has to be run for each user separately - you have to log in as each user and run the wizard as each individual.

Even when you do that, the wizard ain't that great.

SD