PDA

View Full Version : First helicopter in Ireland ??

helipixman
30th Sep 2010, 14:30
Does anyone have any photographs of EI-AKT Hiller UH-12E c/n 2001 registered to Irish Helicopters Ltd on 13.6.59

I have been :ugh: finding a shot of this heli

Although this may not have been the first helicopter to operated in Ireland it was the first on the Irish register.

Registered to Irish Helicopters (not believed to be the same as the current company) it was intended for a trial with Irish Lighthouses.

It only lasted until 19.12.60 on the register and was sold, becoming VP-YSZ

Any photographs regarding this helicopter and those mentioned below would be much appreciated.

EI-APE Hughes 269B Trans World Helicopters (crashed Mount Kenya date ?
EI-AVK Brantly B.2B Helicopter Maintenance Ltd (became G-ASLO)

EI-BES AB.206B Jetranger II Airwork Ireland Ltd (became G-AZRU)

EI-BIY ABell 47G-3B1 Soloy Irish Helicopters (became G-BEHG)

EI-BKG Westland Bell 47G-3B1 Irish Helicopters (became G-BEHN)

EI-BRE Bell 212 Irish Helicopters (became C-GOKW)

EI-BRL AB.206B Jetranger II Irish Helicopters (became G-BFJW)

EI-BXQ Bell 206B Jetranger Irish Helicopters (became G-CULL)

EI-CGK Robinson R-22B Rathcoole Flying Club (crashed at Rathcoole)

Helipixman

forget
30th Sep 2010, 14:49
These guys claim to have a black and white photo of EI-AKT.

Military Aviation Review (http://mar.co.uk/default.asp)

bolkow
1st Oct 2010, 14:39
Is'nt that the hiller which was owned by Ken Besson, and was the personal helicopter for the American Ambassador to Ireland st the time before Mr Besson used it to form Irish Helicopters? No pics of it I am afraid but I do remember seeing it and remember it was a blue colour if memory serves me rightly.

500 Fan
1st Oct 2010, 18:46
Here is a link to an Irish-registered Hiller. As Bolkow says, this was operated by Irish Helicopters (The Dublin-based company thats still in operation).

Photos: Fairchild Hiller FH-1100 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Fairchild-Hiller-FH-1100/0441231/L/&sid=422a1f0e1d61d482936641dbb75c24da)

Does anyone know which airframe was the first to fly with Irish Helicopters in 1968? Was it the Hiller FH-1100 EI-ART or was it EI-ASW, a Bell 206A? I'd love to know.

It seems the Shannon-based company from 1958 with their UH-12 is totally unrelated to the company that commenced operations in 1968 (as stated earlier). Thanks.

500 Fan.