PDA

View Full Version : Air Force 1

gw3xjc
29th Sep 2010, 17:54
Anyone heard a rumour that President Obama is coming to Wales (UK) to visit the Ryder Cup golf tournament ?? Where would Air Force 1 land Cardiff CDF ??????
RL

Pugilistic Animus
29th Sep 2010, 18:07
another golfing vacation....is Obama related to Tony Heyworth?:ugh:

gw3xjc
29th Sep 2010, 18:20
Not sure Ha Ha. Lots of big names coming into Cardif Wales airport, just heard the rumour. He would be most welcome guest in our country.
RL

con-pilot
29th Sep 2010, 19:38
Not sure Ha Ha. Lots of big names coming into Cardif Wales airport, just heard the rumour. He would be most welcome guest in our country.

Good then, you can keep him. :p

ETOPS
29th Sep 2010, 19:39
Where would Air Force 1 land Cardiff CDF ??????

Only if they were lost! CDF is the airport in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy :ok:

You mean CWL...........

brakedwell
29th Sep 2010, 19:39
Is "air miles Andy" expected in his taxpayer funded chopper ?

maxred
29th Sep 2010, 19:42
Sometimes you honestly could not make this up. Con Pilot we have enough on our hands, we would gladly return him, DHL if necessary. FOB

gw3xjc
29th Sep 2010, 19:50
CWL yes sorry.
RL

Willit Run
29th Sep 2010, 20:05
I'm assuming you are reffering to the 747, The term "Air Force 1" is the craft he happens to be riding in at the moment. It could be any number of airframes.

Liffy 1M
29th Sep 2010, 20:16
Given the amount of pre-planning, advance parties etc. that accompanies any US Presidential visit overseas - usually for weeks if not months ahead - it is very unusual for him to turn up anywhere at short notice. If there is nothing more substantial than a rumour that he might be coming, I'd be inclined to discount it. However maybe they've just kept any preparations completely secret!

CargoOne
29th Sep 2010, 20:51
If he is turning up in KBL and BGW on a short notice, I don't see why he can't get balls to turn up in CWL :)

Sepp
29th Sep 2010, 21:03
A sudden surfeit of apparently hearing-impaired people with serious haircuts might lend a clue.

The term "Air Force 1" is the craft he happens to be riding in at the moment

Not if it's operated by USMC, it isn't...

Phileas Fogg
29th Sep 2010, 21:07
With all the required security where else would it arrive/depart except EGFF ..... I don't believe the runway at EGFC to be suitable :)

con-pilot
29th Sep 2010, 21:30
Sometimes you honestly could not make this **** up. Con Pilot we have enough on our hands, we would gladly return him, DHL if necessary. FOB

Thanks for the laugh! :ok:

Okay, on topic. When a serving President rides on an military aircraft, the call sign depends on the Service that operates the aircraft;

Any US Air Force aircraft, the call sign is Air Force One.

Marine aircraft, the call sign is Marine One.

Army aircraft, the call sign is Army One.

Navy aircraft, the call sign is Navy One.

If by chance the President is on a civilian aircraft, the call sign is Civil One.*

* I think, that may have changed recently.

Piltdown Man
29th Sep 2010, 21:50
I'll stick my neck out... If the man himself is scheduled to arrive, for months before the place would be crawling with people trying to look inconspicuous. They are quite easy to spot. Large gentlemen and very fit ladies, a bit like Mormons, IBM or EDS sales people. They are very polite but don't engage in conversation and are seen in all the "wrong" places. No points for guessing who they are. If they haven't been there, he won't be there.

PM

(This will guarantee his arrival!)

p51guy
29th Sep 2010, 21:52
We would gladly give him up to any country that wants him as their leader in Europe. He doesn't seem to do much good in the USA. Two more years. Hopefully change will fix what the last "change" campaign slogan didn't. At least now Carter does not posess the spot of worst president in US history as we remember in our lifetimes. God bless him as he recovers in the hospital as we speak.

Piltdown Man
29th Sep 2010, 21:54
We'll take Obama but please hang on to that cretin Bush.

PM

DX Wombat
29th Sep 2010, 22:08
I don't believe the runway at EGFC to be suitable Why? The runway at Cardiff is used by BAs 747s when they go there for maintenance. I'm aware that Airforce1 will be somewhat heavier so will need at longer landing distance - is that your reason?

p51guy
29th Sep 2010, 22:10
Please take Bush too. That might be too much to ask. We could negotiate for Tony if it helps.

Phileas Fogg
29th Sep 2010, 22:20
Wombat,

Nothing personal but you don't understand ICAO airport codes, EGFF is Cardiff International (Glamorgan/Rhoose to us old hands) however EGFC is Cardiff City.

To help you better go to Google Earth, search for Cardiff and once overhead Cardiff search for 'EGFC' then come back and say if you'd happily be a pax in a fixed wing airliner putting down on that runway!

Of course, the president's aircraft being military, St. Athan is always an option but, bearing in mind St. Athan's runway, depends what type of aircraft it may be!

And the Septics can keep both Bush Jnr. and Obama, nothing personal guys :)