PDA

View Full Version : Removing administrator rights

lasernigel
29th Sep 2010, 16:05
I have been given permission and password to access admin rights on my company laptop.
For instance I am trying to load the new version of Adobe flash player and save it in programs. It says I need admin rights but where do I change all the setting to give me full access?

Saab Dastard
29th Sep 2010, 17:36
Have you been given the laptop local administrator account password? If so, then log on as "administrator" using the password for that account, which you have been given.

Or has your normal account been given admin rights - i.e. been made a member of the Administrators Group on the laptop? In which case you just log in as yourself, and you have admin rights through the group membership.

It can get further complicated if your PC (and / or your normal account) are members of a domain.

In your position, I would just ask the IT department that provided you with the laptop and password.

SD

MacBoero
29th Sep 2010, 19:00
Hold down a shift key and right click on the installer program and select "Run as..." from the context menu. Enter the admin log in details on the dialogue and the installer will run with the correct privileges.

It may however be that although you have admin privileges, the group policies set for the domain may stop some things from being possible, i.e. they might give you admin privileges to be able to change network settings, power saving settings etc, but not allow you to install new applications.

Saab Dastard
29th Sep 2010, 19:39
Hold down a shift key and right click on the installer program and select "Run as..."

Good idea - but I don't think that the shift key is required! Not for me in XP, at any rate. :)

It may however be that although you have admin privileges, the group policies set for the domain may stop some things from being possible, i.e. they might give you admin privileges to be able to change network settings, power saving settings etc, but not allow you to install new applications.

But if you have local admin rights you also have the wherewithal to circumvent the group policy - although it does require a good understanding of GP and the registry! ;)

SD