PDA

View Full Version : Conditional Format - Excel 2007

merch
28th Sep 2010, 14:37
Apologies if this has been asked before

I'm trying to copy a conditional format from a single cell to a long column with the reference cell changing as the row changes.
eg
the formula for formating is =D182<>E182 and is in D182, when I copy this to other rows, about another 50, the formula doesn't change it remains D183, being the cell I clicked on to start coping, even in cell D190 for example has the formula D183<>E183 .

I've tried copying all the different ways that I know, still the same.

I've got about 10 different columns to format on 12 worksheets.

Hope the above is clear

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Merch :confused:

spannersatcx
28th Sep 2010, 16:11
what happens when you drag the cell down, does the formula change then, otherwise it will be Paste Special, and then click Formulas.

Parapunter
28th Sep 2010, 17:13
You haven't got $$ around any of the cell references have you? like $A$1?

Simonta
28th Sep 2010, 18:50
Hi Merch

Your post is a little confusing. You say, for example, that D190 contains D183<>E183.

Does it actually contains =D183<>183? This would return True or False as the cell value. If it contains D183<>E183, without the equals sign, Excel will treat this as text and will copy it verbatim. If the formula is =D183<>E183, then Excel will definitely amend the formula if you copy it to another cell. If there is a dollar sign in front of the column or row, then Excel will fix that value when you copy it. If there is a dollar in front of both the column and row, Excel will copy the formula without modification.

On the other hand, you are asking about conditional formatting. Is the formula =D183<>E183 your condition? Are you trying to apply conditional formatting to a range of cells such that the format for D183 is set by D183<>E183, the format for D184 is set by D184<>E184 etc? If so, then simply select all of the cells first then enter the conditional format.

Hope that helps

Regards

Simon

merch
30th Sep 2010, 09:57
First apologies for the confusing post, and thanks for the answers.

Simon
It was a conditional formating formula, I have done as you suggested and all is OK now, thanks you've saved me a lot of time.

Merch :ok: