PDA

View Full Version : SATA Hard Disk and IDE DVD ROM?

tony draper
28th Sep 2010, 12:24
Is there a problem running a IED DVD drive with just a Sata hard disk??
I know a SATA HD works happily with a IDE HD ,?
I may have condemned two IDE DVD drives to death for no reason.
:(

MacBoero
28th Sep 2010, 12:37
No problem at all.

For several years it was routine to have machines with SATA hard drives and an IDE optical drive. Simply because there were so few SATA optical drives available, and those that were available were too pricey.

tony draper
28th Sep 2010, 12:46
Strange,have the same problem on two machines,this machine I'm working on now for a neighbor,I formatted a HD and loaded windows no probs from the dvd drive,neighbor turns up this morning with a new 500 gig sata hd,removed the old hard disk stuck the windows dvd in the same dvd drive I used yesterday,but the thing wont even open,had the same thing happen wwith a different dvd drive on my machine last week,assumed the dvd drive was buggad,stuck a sata dvd in neighbors machine and it's chugging along quite happily formatting the new disk.
Tiz a puzzle

FullOppositeRudder
28th Sep 2010, 12:53
I've used that combination here in several of my computers because even with new (SATA) DVD drives now relatively inexpensive, I'm too miserable to fork out for new ones when the old ones will work OK. I just hate throwing good gear out just because it's been superseded :8.

There are also low cost adapters available which allow newer SATA motherboards to use IDE drives and vice versa, however often these are not all that far off the cost of a new component drive of the SATA species.

FWIW
FoR

MacBoero
28th Sep 2010, 12:57
I agree, nowadays it makes sense to buy SATA DVD-RW drives for standard fits, they're now less than £15, and that's inclusive of VAT!

tony draper
28th Sep 2010, 13:03
Bought two sata drives last week being lazy I thought I would just use the IED one that worked perfect well yesterday,anyway tiz just academic as both machine now have all sata kit,though perhaps there had to be a IDE master on the IDE ribbon cable for the DVD drive to work.
:)
thanks chaps

MacBoero
28th Sep 2010, 19:20
In my experience, IDE optical drives have seemed OK leaving Cable Select (CS) enabled, which meant therefore it didn't matter which plug on the IDE ribbon cable I used.

That fact that in your case they worked one day and not the next, unless the cables had been rearranged somehow, it is strange. I wouldn't expect Windows to have changed anything in the BIOS to stop them from being bootable devices. The only thing might have been to change the setting for DMA (Direct Memory Access) on them.

Mr Optimistic
28th Sep 2010, 21:05
none that I know of - master/slave set properly, 80 wire cable used, end connector (or whatever is labeled 'master' ), and connector pushed firmly home?