PDA

View Full Version : 1969 London to Sydney Air Race

Stationair8
28th Sep 2010, 08:03
Anyone out in Pprune land compete in this event?

Anyone have a list of competitors and aircraft ?

cac_sabre
28th Sep 2010, 08:42
1969 | 3366 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1969/1969%20-%203366.html?search=london%20to%20sydney%20air%20race)

have dfetails of the last one as well (I was on it)

David Willies
8th Jan 2020, 20:14
Hi. Yes I entered( as co-pilot ) in an AUSTER G-ARGT, but flew most of it SOLO & took 28 days - same as the VIMY in 1919. Dreamed of entering agai in 2019 but been ill & couldn't even find a lunch I have a PROG with a list of entrants & pics. DaveW

aroa
8th Jan 2020, 22:31
Hi David,
When 2 POB in ARGT en route to Singapore, I flew in company out of KL and I believe some 'air to air' were taken of G -AOHF. before I diverted to Malacca. True?.. if pics exist I;d like to see some/have one.
You also did the radio for me into Calcutta out of Jamshedpur, the J1N was faster than the J5P and I had to power up to keep up. I think we first crossed paths in Ahmadabad, you guys went on that night, and ARGT was still on the ground when I refuelled at Nagpur before pushing on to Jamshedpur but diverted due wx to another Air Race emergency strip at Jarsugudar. Major Summerton-Raynor, Army Air Corps in the Auster AOP 9 had left there that morning..
ARGT lives just down the road in Cairns, owned by Justin Meadows. There are some pics of it on the farcebook 'Auster Aeroplane Enthusiasts Downunder' page.
Altho I wasnt in the Race..carried a philatelic mail, I did benefit from it tho, having 50 on the tail, and especially with the emergency strips. eg Jiwani in Baluchistan/West Pakistan saved my bacon at night.
Would loved to have packed up the Auster J2 and done it all again for the 100th, and get some 50th mail "twice flown". Alas, its all about money.
My solo adventure took 2 months and 8 days and taught me plenty about flying and the Auster .
I have a copy of the BP Commem program...which lists all a/c and entrants and also the airfield diagram/route data book. That brings back a few memories ...Been there, done that !!
Trust you return to good health best rgds