PDA

View Full Version : Faa? Dca (malaysia)? Casa? Jaa?

wannabe15
28th Sep 2010, 04:33
Hi all

Given a choice, which type of license would you pursue? Assuming that you would wish to fly a 9V registered aircraft eventually?

9v-SKA
28th Sep 2010, 05:36
You got a PM!

Popgun
28th Sep 2010, 05:59
Whichever country the aircraft you wish to fly is registered in...

If you are unsure...or may change your mind over time...then a JAR licence is the most useful/valuable...certainly more valuable than an FAA licence (and a lot more costly and difficult to obtain).

PG

wannabe15
28th Sep 2010, 07:28
yeah. but i always wonder why a FAA is so called "less valuable" in the eyes of caas? anyone have any insights?

i agree, JAR is valuable but europe is kinda far!

drareg
28th Sep 2010, 12:35
I'm assuming you've tried applying to SQ cadet programme?

The exams you need to take to obtain an FAA licence is so called less "demanding" than JAR. Europe ain't far. It's the cost.

Try NZ instead of Malaysia.. :)

Inigo Montoya
28th Sep 2010, 14:08
My intention is not to get an argument going between the systems, but my personal opinion is that FAA training is more focused on the flying skills/experience (one written test per license/rating), while the JAA is more focused on book knowledge, but less on flying skills. One need only look at the jobs available to pilots under each training system. Most JAA areas don't have much for GA jobs (or single pilot), and trainees are primarily going for a multi-crew environment. CASA seems to be a mix between the two, at least to an outside observer like myself.

As for the Malaysian license, the DCA is switching all of the ground/book knowledge to a more JAA compliant format. Anyone starting training in Malaysia now will be "JAA" for the ground portion (instead of the old UK CAA). You will not be issued with a JAA license. I think it would be more beneficial to go for any of the other three. SIN has a close relationship to Malaysia, but I honestly don't know how they view it among the other licenses.

Those with more information can correct me if applicable.

wannabe15
28th Sep 2010, 14:22
nah.. i'm too old for the cadet program. just weighing my options to see which is more practicable for a self sponsored candidate. :ok:

wannabe15
28th Sep 2010, 14:25
indeed... i don't know the industry views about the various licenses. any inputs from the industry veterans would be useful.