PDA

View Full Version : Ferry

TrT
27th Sep 2010, 17:50
Anyone with tips/info etc doing a ferry through ethopia, Djibouti, Yemen and Oman.

skyvan
27th Sep 2010, 19:24
There is plenty of people who can give you advice, but you are going to have to give a bit more information such as piston or turbine, range (long range tanks or standard), one or two crew (flight time), speed, direction etc.

Good luck, you have chosen some seriously desolate landscape to fly over.

scarrymike
28th Sep 2010, 03:39
Try White Rose Aviation in the UK. Google it. The guy's name is Mike.

TrT
28th Sep 2010, 04:32
Well the flight has been planned so no help needed there just need to get an idea of what the places are like and what trouble we could run into, language barrier etc. Just general info. thanks

bob.sakamano
28th Sep 2010, 21:54
Well, make sure your overflight fees are paid in Yemen. Be cautious of the nasty terrain also. If given the choice, I'd not stop in Djibouti or Yemen. Aden isn't as bad as Sana'a. At least there is a fully functioning ILS there.

Since you're going to Oman, I doubt you'd have to overfly or stop in Sana'a. But, if you do and it's your first stop there, I'd strongly suggest that you do the fully VOR DME-A to 36 from the VOR.

Any questions about Yemen or Djibouti, PM me.

DownIn3Green
29th Sep 2010, 01:50
Take a large "Captain's Fund" with you...USD 100 bills (lots of them) solve many "problems" in Africa and the Mid-East...

Cardinal Puff
29th Sep 2010, 05:46
And take along lots of smaller denomination bills. Service providers (yeah, right...:hmm::rolleyes:) always claim to not have any change so a $106 tranasaction ends up costing you $200.

Next Leg Undefined
29th Sep 2010, 11:55
Have refuelled in Djibouti, without problems. Place is hot, third world but a large US Marine contingent is based at the airfield. Have had a night stop in Salalah (Oman) which is an awesome place, especially the Crowne Plaza hotel on the beach. Haven't been in Yemen but have heard it is a place to avoid if you can.

Jetjock330
29th Sep 2010, 12:43
Djibouti is almost to be considered a province of France. Very safe to land and refuel, flight plan, spend the night, ILS VOR/DME. The French Airforce is there too with Mirage, catch nets, Puma helicopters and RADAR. It works, but it is hot in the summer. Sheraton hotel is fine with a few other hotels also being fine for a night on a ferry. No problems in Djibouti.